Author Topic: The Watchmen  (Read 13621 times)

The Watchmen
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
When I was in Florida this past week on vacation, I went to see the Dark Knight, and I saw a preview for the Watchmen. Now, I never heard of them before, but i know some of you have. Who exacty are the Watchmen?

Re: The Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

probley do better than i would explaining it
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:22:27 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Go to your local bookstore and by a copy of the Watchmen TPB.  You won't regret it.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
It's widely considered the greatest graphic novel ever written, and for good reason. I loved the book, but after seeing that trailer, I'm very, very, very dubious that this movie will be any good. I really liked 'Dawn of the Dead', Zack Snyder's first major movie, but '300' left me cold. Too much special effects and slow motion beheadings, not enough story...I actually found it to be quite boring. Now it looks like he's bringing the same boredom to 'the greatest graphic novel ever'. Too many slow motion-Matrix-y takedowns and such. And what is the deal with Adrian Veidt???? He looks like a little kid on Halloween! He should be an imposing figure. The actor playing him just does not fit the part, which is really a shame.

Dr. Manhattan looks pretty cool though, I will admit.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's widely considered the greatest graphic novel ever written, and for good reason. I loved the book, but after seeing that trailer, I'm very, very, very dubious that this movie will be any good. I really liked 'Dawn of the Dead', Zack Snyder's first major movie, but '300' left me cold. Too much special effects and slow motion beheadings, not enough story...I actually found it to be quite boring. Now it looks like he's bringing the same boredom to 'the greatest graphic novel ever'. Too many slow motion-Matrix-y takedowns and such. And what is the deal with Adrian Veidt???? He looks like a little kid on Halloween! He should be an imposing figure. The actor playing him just does not fit the part, which is really a shame.

Dr. Manhattan looks pretty cool though, I will admit.
I agree that 300 was drastically overrated.  I thought it was crap, personally.  I guess in theory it was nice that they just took every line from the comic and made that the entirety of the dialogue, but there is a reason dialogue lacks in comics... not in movies.  To me it was just a lot of eye candy and the rest of it was pretty darn boring.  I mean, you can do action movies and still have it interesting.   YOu can even do action movies based on comics/graphic novels and have it interesting (like the Dark Knight for example).    But 300 was weak.

Hopefully that hack director doesn't blow it with The Watchmen.  I actually know nothing about the story or the characters, but I've heard about it for years.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I am incredibly excited about this movie and want it to be good, but I do have my doubts. Having read the book so many times, I'm still unsure how to make it into a 2 hour movie. So much story, so many threads

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i've never read the watchmen but i must say, another comic book movie? i don't know guys... however, the dark knight was badass.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
So my point with 300 is that it was definitely faithful to the comic, but I think it was faithful to a fault.  Every image and line was like a direct port from the comic.  I like when films are properly adapted from a comic source, but I think just doing a direct port (line for line, image for image) can be a problem.  What would be considered heavy and weighty in comic form can become pretty shallow and cheesy as a film.

So I just read a little about Alan Moore (the creator of Watchmen).   He also created "The LEague of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "From Hell", "Constantine" and "V for Vendetta".  All were turned into movies.  Apparently since "League of Extraordinary Gentleman" came out and some legal dispute about alleged plagiarized content, Moore has hated the process of seeing his work adapted to film.  He was outraged by several parts of "V for Vendetta", refused to be credited in the "Constantine" movie, and also refuses to be credited in "The Watchmen" film.  That's rather interesting to me.

Moore's reaction was to divorce himself from the film world: he would refuse to allow film adaptations of anything to which he owned full copyright. In cases where others owned the rights, he would withdraw his name from the credits and refuse to accept payment, instead requesting that the money go to his collaborators (i.e. the artists). This was the arrangement used for the film Constantine

So maybe having a hack director who meticulously ports the graphic novels scene by scene/image by image/line by line might make Moore happy.  But in general I have pretty low expectations for this movie.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
i've never read the watchmen but i must say, another comic book movie? i don't know about it guys... however, the dark knight was badass.
Comic book movies are great. Dark Knight was great, Iron Man was great the first Spiderman was very good. Watch out for the Avengers and Justice League movies, those are movies containing all the super heroes of Marvel and DC comics respectivly.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
So my point with 300 is that it was definitely faithful to the comic, but I think it was faithful to a fault.  Every image and line was like a direct port from the comic.  I like when films are properly adapted from a comic source, but I think just doing a direct port (line for line, image for image) can be a problem.  What would be considered heavy and weighty in comic form can become pretty shallow and cheesy as a film.

So I just read a little about Alan Moore (the creator of Watchmen).   He also created "The LEague of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "From Hell", "Constantine" and "V for Vendetta".  All were turned into movies.  Apparently since "League of Extraordinary Gentleman" came out and some legal dispute about alleged plagiarized content, Moore has hated the process of seeing his work adapted to film.  He was outraged by several parts of "V for Vendetta", refused to be credited in the "Constantine" movie, and also refuses to be credited in "The Watchmen" film.  That's rather interesting to me.

Moore's reaction was to divorce himself from the film world: he would refuse to allow film adaptations of anything to which he owned full copyright. In cases where others owned the rights, he would withdraw his name from the credits and refuse to accept payment, instead requesting that the money go to his collaborators (i.e. the artists). This was the arrangement used for the film Constantine

So maybe having a hack director who meticulously ports the graphic novels scene by scene/image by image/line by line might make Moore happy.  But in general I have pretty low expectations for this movie.

I thought V for Vendetta was great, do you think he was fed up with the process or do you think the book/graphic novel really was that much better than the movie?

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I thought V for Vendetta was great, do you think he was fed up with the process or do you think the book/graphic novel really was that much better than the movie?

There is a lot of info on his wiki.  Specifically about V for Vendetta it says: 

The last straw came when producer Joel Silver said at a press conference for the Warner Bros. film adaptation of V for Vendetta that fellow producer Larry Wachowski had talked with Moore, and that "he [Moore] was very excited about what Larry had to say."[37] Moore claims that he told Wachowski "I didn't want anything to do with films... I wasn't interested in Hollywood," and demanded that DC Comics force Warner Bros to issue a public retraction and apology for Silver's "blatant lies", even though Silver appeared to have been lied to himself by Larry Wachowski. Although Silver called Moore directly to apologize, no public retraction appeared. Moore was quoted as saying that the film had "plot holes so big, you wouldn't have gotten away with it in Whizzer and Chips" and complained about the addition of things like "eggy in a basket", which he saw as an ill-researched attempt by Hollywood screenwriters to make an American dish sound English. Moore once again announced that he would no longer work for DC, which is owned by Warner Bros.

And this is an interesting blip about the creation of this "Watchmen" film:

Warner Bros. confirmed in June 2006 that Zack Snyder would direct a film adaptation of Watchmen,[52] which is set for release on March 6, 2009.[53] The cast includes Patrick Wilson, Malin Akerman, Jackie Earle Haley, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.[54] Previously, directors including Paul Greengrass, Terry Gilliam,[55] Darren Aronofsky,[56] and screenwriter David Hayter have been attached to the project over the years.[57] While Moore believes that David Hayter's screenplay was "as close as I could imagine anyone getting to Watchmen," he asserted he did not intend to see the film if it were made.[58] Moore "refuses to have his name attached to any...films"[59] However, Gibbons has stated he feels Snyder can make a good film and is supporting him.[60]

I personally liked V for Vendetta, but I think anytime a comic/novel/graphic novel gets adapted to film, there is always the chance that the author of the original work is going to despise the contamination of his work.  They invest so much time and effort into it and hate to see someone misinterpret sections, leave out considerable plot points or just mess the entire thing up.  

You ever see the TV show "Californication"?  They take that concept and make a joke about it.  The main character's backstory is that he wrote a novel called, "God Hates us All" and it was adapted to crappy hollywood film called "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" starring Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. 

Anyway... maybe Alan Moore just doesn't want to see his work ruined... but with something that is considered to be the "greatest graphic novel of all time", I imagine it's going to be pretty difficult to pull it off as a film.  Especially from the hack director who did 300.  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:10:10 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 02:06:26 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i can't say enough about v for vendetta. not as great as the dark knight, but still truely an amazing movie.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The last straw came when producer Joel Silver said at a press conference for the Warner Bros. film adaptation of V for Vendetta that fellow producer Larry Wachowski had talked with Moore, and that "he [Moore] was very excited about what Larry had to say."[37] Moore claims that he told Wachowski "I didn't want anything to do with films... I wasn't interested in Hollywood," and demanded that DC Comics force Warner Bros to issue a public retraction and apology for Silver's "blatant lies", even though Silver appeared to have been lied to himself by Larry Wachowski. Although Silver called Moore directly to apologize, no public retraction appeared. Moore was quoted as saying that the film had "plot holes so big, you wouldn't have gotten away with it in Whizzer and Chips" and complained about the addition of things like "eggy in a basket", which he saw as an ill-researched attempt by Hollywood screenwriters to make an American dish sound English. Moore once again announced that he would no longer work for DC, which is owned by Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. confirmed in June 2006 that Zack Snyder would direct a film adaptation of Watchmen,[52] which is set for release on March 6, 2009.[53] The cast includes Patrick Wilson, Malin Akerman, Jackie Earle Haley, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.[54] Previously, directors including Paul Greengrass, Terry Gilliam,[55] Darren Aronofsky,[56] and screenwriter David Hayter have been attached to the project over the years.[57] While Moore believes that David Hayter's screenplay was "as close as I could imagine anyone getting to Watchmen," he asserted he did not intend to see the film if it were made.[58] Moore "refuses to have his name attached to any...films"[59] However, Gibbons has stated he feels Snyder can make a good film and is supporting him.[60]

I personally liked V for Vendetta, but I think anytime a comic/novel/graphic novel gets adapted to film, there is always the chance that the author of the original work is going to despise the contamination of his work.  They invest so much time and effort into it and hate to see someone misinterpret sections, leave out considerable plot points or just mess the entire thing up.  

You ever see the TV show "Californication"?  They take that concept and make a joke about it.  The main character's backstory is that he wrote a novel called, "God Hates us All" and it was adapted to crappy hollywood film called "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" starring Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. 

Anyway... maybe Alan Moore just doesn't want to see his work ruined... but with something that is considered to be the "greatest graphic novel of all time", I imagine it's going to be pretty difficult to pull it off as a film.  Especially from the hack director who did 300.  :)
Am I the only one who liked 300? I enjoy movies with good plots like most people but I think there is also something to be said of a testosterone pumping battle fest. It seems that a lot of people are not into those type of movies these days.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Am I the only one who liked 300? I enjoy movies with good plots like most people but I think there is also something to be said of a testosterone pumping battle fest. It seems that a lot of people are not into those type of movies these days.

Nope, I liked the 300 alot too. A TP for a fellow "simpelton" :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 02:35:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Nope, I liked the 300 alot too. A TP for a fellow "simpelton" :)

I don't understand why people feel that you can't be an intellectual but still like things that inspire base emotions. I can enjoy a good indie film, a good mystery, and a politcal message movie but that doesn't stop me from loving a knock down drag out butt kicking. TP back to you for being smart enough to enjoy something that's good.