Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24058 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets/Now FA. Should Cs target?
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone who rather have Baynes should seek psychiatric help.

What an odd (rule-breaking) comment.

Dwight is an issue in the locker room and has openly complained about touches.  Is there any possible reason why somebody wouldn’t want him on a team with plenty of scorers and great chemistry?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Poll is closer than i thought...i voted yes...thought lot of ppl would say no
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I feel like the decision is pretty simple.

If he signs for the minimum, then you should give it a try. Worst case, he doesn't pan out, and gets back to his old habits, then you jettison him. Even if he doesn't work out, what is the most you would lose?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Even if he doesn't work out, what is the most you would lose?

Baynes?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If he signs for the minimum, then you should give it a try. Worst case, he doesn't pan out, and gets back to his old habits, then you jettison him. Even if he doesn't work out, what is the most you would lose?

100%

I don't think we are not risking a ton if we sign him for the minimum. It's not a long term deal, and it's certainly not something that would take us into luxury tax hell. Ton of upside if he straightens up his act as far as what he can offer. And if he starts poisoning the locker room, just waive him.

I think that's a low risk - high reward kind of an acquisition.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Sure, Dwight is a talented player but if he really is the locker room cancer that people have suggested he is than I’m not sure signing him is such a good idea.

The selection of Robert Williams has also made me less open to the idea. For one, with Williams now in the fold we have a pretty decent group of centers with Horford, Theis, Williams and Baynes if he comes back. Not to mention that it has been widely reported that Robert Williams might not have that drive and might have some attitude issues, not sure I want him learning work ethic from Dwight Howard if that’s actually the case. Williams also shoots an abysmal 43% from the FT line and Dwight is an awful free throw shooter as well so if we do sign Dwight we will have two centers that can’t hit a free throw which is not good.

I’d rather give the minutes to Williams and focus on his development than to bring a potential ego into what appears to be a well knit locker room.

« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Dude Bayne shot like 18% from 3.... I’m sure Howard could do the same lol. So what he’s been bounced, so what teammates may not like him, what he do on that court though? Did you know Howard is one of Browns mentors? Howard is just a goof ball who can be annoying to many people we all know that person in life’s who thinks they are a lot funnier than they actually are.

Either way..... let’s get Dwight/Crawford or Gay and make the Celtics great again lol. Anyone arguing any of that is tripping.

While the part about Jaylen is certainly disturbing, imo, TP for the laugh in regards to your second-to-last sentence ;D.

« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

100%

I don't think we are not risking a ton if we sign him for the minimum. It's not a long term deal, and it's certainly not something that would take us into luxury tax hell. Ton of upside if he straightens up his act as far as what he can offer. And if he starts poisoning the locker room, just waive him.

I know that you mentioned the possibility of Howard going to the Warriors, so is there any traction on that front, so to speak? Man, put Dwight in their starting lineup and you've practically created a 2K team, lol #IGiveUp ;D.

« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

100%

I know that you mentioned the possibility of Howard going to the Warriors, so is there any traction on that front, so to speak? Man, put Dwight in their starting lineup and you've practically created a 2K team, lol #IGiveUp ;D.

The top teams in the league will want Dwight-
He poses serious difficulties in the playoffs in half-court sets due to his size dominance and athleticism.  Baynes did a remarkable job this year as a role player.

You are going into a playoff series.  Would you rather face Baynes on the opposition or Howard?  :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'(
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I like what Baynes brings and would prefer him.  But if Baynes signs elsewhere and the timing works, I’d be interested in Dwight as a backup plan.

« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Dwight is an issue in the locker room and has openly complained about touches.  Is there any possible reason why somebody wouldn’t want him on a team with plenty of scorers and great chemistry?

Yeah, Baynes did an incredible job on Embiid in the playoffs, and was also our most consistent 3 point shooter, all without disrupting chemistry in any way, doing whatever needed at any moment for the team. I would be disappointed to lose him just to replace him with an aging, moody, Dwight Howard who has no shooting ability outside of 3 feet and would sulk and disappear once he gets benched due to his lack of shooting.

« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yeah, Baynes did an incredible job on Embiid in the playoffs, and was also our most consistent 3 point shooter, all without disrupting chemistry in any way, doing whatever needed at any moment for the team. I would be disappointed to lose him just to replace him with an aging, moody, Dwight Howard who has no shooting ability outside of 3 feet and would sulk and disappear once he gets benched due to his lack of shooting.

However, if you could have Baynes at $5 million and put the Celtics in the tax, or Howard at $1.5 million and keep the team out of it, which would you choose?

« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

However, if you could have Baynes at $5 million and put the Celtics in the tax, or Howard at $1.5 million and keep the team out of it, which would you choose?
Don’t make me say that :'(
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Trade Yabu and Nader without taking salary back.

« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Trade Yabu and Nader without taking salary back.
Also, the salary counting toward the cap isn't final until late in the year, I think. Couldn't you just do a dump salary trade later in the year?