Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24043 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets/Now FA. Should Cs target?
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
“I want to be in a situation where I have an opportunity to help a team win,” Howard told ESPN’s Chris Haynes. “That’s my only goal. All I need is a real chance and a clean slate where it’s not people talking about my past.”

Howard also told ESPN that he feels that he’s coming off a season during which he played some of the best basketball of his career.

“This year was an opportunity for me to show what type of player I am and where I can go,” he said. “This season I made the most jumps shots that I’ve made my whole career. I’ve improved my pick-and-pops. My [isolation] numbers are very high. I’m in a position where I can still dominate on the post, but I can do more things now because I understand the game on a different level. Furthermore, I still want to continue developing and growing as a player.”

“I felt like this year was a resurgence for me and the biggest reason is because I’m healthy,” he told ESPN. “I didn’t have any problems this whole year. My whole goal is to come back next season, improve and try to win a championship for my team.”

He's saying all the right things, so I'm hoping he has shaped up his attitude.

If he's willing to sign with the Celtics, it's a no-brainer. Someone like him can give small ball teams fits on defense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Would you start Howard and shift Al to the 4? Brown the 6th man?

I just floated this idea. The teams that do have a big center left usually do start them (then shift to small ball later in game). I think that could work

I timed out trying to say something similar.  I would probably make it more situational, and only start him against teams with a traditional 5 (assuming everyone is healthy).  It would definitely help decrease the wear on Al.

Tps all around fellas!

« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I just floated this idea. The teams that do have a big center left usually do start them (then shift to small ball later in game). I think that could work

I timed out trying to say something similar.  I would probably make it more situational, and only start him against teams with a traditional 5 (assuming everyone is healthy).  It would definitely help decrease the wear on Al.

Tps all around fellas!

Where's mine? :(

You think we should go after him?

« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
C--Howard
PF-Horford
SF-Tatum
SG-Hayward
PG-Irving

C--Baynes
PF-Theis
SF-Brown
SG-Smart
PG-Rozier

Geez..this team win around 70
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
C--Howard
PF-Horford
SF-Tatum
SG-Hayward
PG-Irving

C--Baynes
PF-Theis
SF-Brown
SG-Smart
PG-Rozier

Think we would win around 66-67 realistically.

« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Tps all around fellas!

Don’t worry, he didn’t give me one either, but I’ll hit you up.   ;D

I think that the Celtics front office has way better information on him to ultimately make that call, but if he signed with Boston I would be excited on account of trusting their decision-making process and not needing to do something risky.

« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Tps all around fellas!

I think that the Celtics front office has way better information on him to ultimately make that call, but if he signed with Boston I would be excited on account of trusting their decision-making process and not needing to do something risky.

I got everyone now. The forum gave me the ol timeout

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Tps all around fellas!

Same here, back at ya.

And I do trust Ainge's decision to voice it to everyone on the team. Ainge may be a cold blooded assassin when creating/molding rosters, but he is generally considered by most Celtics, a great guy/reasonable GM.

« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
“I want to be in a situation where I have an opportunity to help a team win,” Howard told ESPN’s Chris Haynes. “That’s my only goal. All I need is a real chance and a clean slate where it’s not people talking about my past.”

Howard also told ESPN that he feels that he’s coming off a season during which he played some of the best basketball of his career.

“This year was an opportunity for me to show what type of player I am and where I can go,” he said. “This season I made the most jumps shots that I’ve made my whole career. I’ve improved my pick-and-pops. My [isolation] numbers are very high. I’m in a position where I can still dominate on the post, but I can do more things now because I understand the game on a different level. Furthermore, I still want to continue developing and growing as a player.”

“I felt like this year was a resurgence for me and the biggest reason is because I’m healthy,” he told ESPN. “I didn’t have any problems this whole year. My whole goal is to come back next season, improve and try to win a championship for my team.”

If he's willing to sign with the Celtics, it's a no-brainer. Someone like him can give small ball teams fits on defense.

He started out saying all the right things when he arrived in Atlanta and Charlotte

« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2018, 05:06:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Didn't Al Horford sign here (for less money) because Atlanta traded for Howard?

If Al doesn't want to play with him, I don't want him.

Factor No. 1, according to league sources: Horford was none too pleased with how reluctant the Hawks were to come forward with a full five-year max. Factor No. 2: Atlanta’s signing of Dwight Howard. Could there be a more contradicting force in the NBA to Horford than Howard, in terms of substance vs. style?

“He didn’t want to play with Dwight,” a person familiar with the situation told CBS Sports.

Horford was also ticked off at how it took them so long to decide whether or not to throw him the 5 year max. He mentioned a long time ago, that he believed the discounts he took meant he would get the max he felt he deserved equally. A while ago, the Hawks were contemplating giving Josh Smith a max, to which Horford begrudgingly was okay with, but that definitely made him upset.

Hawks believed Horford's heart was with them, would accept last offer. Horford dropped demand of full 5-year max but sides never closed gap.

Horford’s father, Tito, said in a telephone interview Saturday night that his son had narrowed his choices down to the Hawks and the Celtics. As the family discussed the options, the conversation often returned to the uncommon passion of Boston’s fans.

In Atlanta, support at home games was sometimes tepid, despite the fact that the Hawks had gone 108-56 over the last two years.

“There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.

Ah yes I remember 2 summers ago. Horford was sold out by the Hawks. He made the right decision coming to Boston. Atlanta fans be booing him every time he touches the ball. Hypocritical fans.

If only that also persuaded Kevin Durant to come here, too...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2018, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
16 and 12 last season..not bad at all with a bad Hornets team

And Boston needs a legit big to play Embiid. Imagine Al, Howard, Baynes, Theis all guarding Embiid. It would give him fits.

« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

I'll give him a shot for the cheap. But the moment he opens his mouth in the locker room clowning around, he gone. He ain't the Orlando Dwight Howard anymore, nor the Los Angeles Dwight Howard. I expect him to have a Kawhi-like attitude and just go out and play, go back in the shower room to shower, support/congratulating teammates and leave the building for the night or practice. Repeat, recycle.

« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
C--Howard
PF-Horford
SF-Tatum
SG-Hayward
PG-Irving

C--Baynes
PF-Theis
SF-Brown
SG-Smart
PG-Rozier

So you saying we gonna surpass '95 Bulls and '16 Warriors record?

« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He started out saying all the right things when he arrived in Atlanta and Charlotte

But they're not Boston.  If he acts up, he'll sit or get cut.

« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'll give him a shot for the cheap. But the moment he opens his mouth in the locker room clowning around, he gone. He ain't the Orlando Dwight Howard anymore, nor the Los Angeles Dwight Howard. I expect him to have a Kawhi-like attitude and just go out and play, go back in the shower room to shower, support/congratulating teammates and leave the building for the night or practice. Repeat, recycle.

Maybe you could have picked a different player as an example?