Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24072 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets/Now FA. Should Cs target?
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I wonder if Kyrie could keep him in check.

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
We need his skills but he has too much baggage. So as crazy as it sounds, I’ll pass.

- LilRip

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1009859962569482240?s=21

Dwight Howard and Brooklyn will negotiate a buyout to enter free-agency, league sources tell ESPN.

Uh, call me crazy, but I’d take a vet minimum or smaller deal flyer on Howard, especially if we lose Baynes in free agency.

I get that, on paper. But in reality, the C's would be his 5th team in 4 years (I'm counting Brooklyn) and every team that has gotten rid of him has been dying to do so. The last 3 (Atlanta, Charlotte, and now Brooklyn) have eaten money just to get him away from their teams.

So no, I'll pass.

It's one thing to be the 4th option or so on a really good team. It is a totally different thing to be a former MVP level type of player, and not feel like you should be the 1 or 2 option on a really bad team (like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Brooklyn).

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If Danny and Brad sit down with Dwight to recruit him and discuss his role on the team, then I don't see an issue. Especially if Dwight buys in to what Brad wants to use him for during the season and accepts the MLE (although I'm not certain if the Celtics even have that option available). His last three seasons, he went from Houston to Atlanta and then Charlotte. The last two teams he played on were not good. Maybe he just wants to get back to being on a winning team, and will sacrifice FGA and concentrate more on offensive rebounding and put backs. The guy still pulls down over 12 rebounds per game, which is an area that can only help the Celtics.
exactly

If he ends up being bad on the locker room, you cut him. He will be signed on a 1 yr contract most likely

I really don’t see much risk in signing  Howard

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The idea of him being passed around from team to team because nobody likes him is not entirely accurate.  Yes there are reports of him having issues at all these places (often after he has left), but those are not the reason he has moved from team to team.

1. Orlando traded him to LA because they were unsure if he'd resign and they wanted to get some value back in the likely event that he left.
2. He opted to pass down the 5 year $118M max contract from LAL and sign for less in Houston.
3. He declined a player option in Houston, which Houston tried to convince him to exercise to stay, to enter free agency where Atlanta offered him a 3 year, $70M contract.
4. The Atlanta team was not a real contender from the beginning -- Schroeder, Bazemore, Korver, Millsap, Howard was their starting 5 -- and when they decided to trade away Millsap because they didn't think it would be wise to resign him as a free agent the upcoming offseason, they were even lesser of a contender and dealing Dwight made a lot of sense strategically going into a rebuild.
5. Charlotte too was never a real contender, they obviously realize they don't want to pay tax for a non-contender and this was the first move of what's likely a complete blow up.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2018, 03:18:21 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i think baynes may be better. can shoot the 3.  no locker room trouble at all.

interesting choice but i'd stick w baynes.

unless we cant afford him and get dwight cheap since hes a buyout.

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2018, 03:24:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He's going to the Warriors.

They need an answer to Clint Capela, they'll try to see if they can fit him in.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Guy can play..i sign to a one year deal and if he is a problem, cut him...plus i think he would sign here cause it may be his last chance to get a ring
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd rather have Dwight than LeBron from a rooting perspective.

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Didn't Al Horford sign here (for less money) because Atlanta traded for Howard?

If Al doesn't want to play with him, I don't want him.

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Please God no:

NBC Sports Boston

Verified account

@NBCSBoston
 11m11 minutes ago
More
Blakely: Celtics one of several teams to vie for Dwight Howard. http://bit.ly/2K6CXiY  @ASherrodblakely

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Didn't Al Horford sign here (for less money) because Atlanta traded for Howard?

If Al doesn't want to play with him, I don't want him.

Factor No. 1, according to league sources: Horford was none too pleased with how reluctant the Hawks were to come forward with a full five-year max. Factor No. 2: Atlanta’s signing of Dwight Howard. Could there be a more contradicting force in the NBA to Horford than Howard, in terms of substance vs. style?

“He didn’t want to play with Dwight,” a person familiar with the situation told CBS Sports.

Horford was also ticked off at how it took them so long to decide whether or not to throw him the 5 year max. He mentioned a long time ago, that he believed the discounts he took meant he would get the max he felt he deserved equally. A while ago, the Hawks were contemplating giving Josh Smith a max, to which Horford begrudgingly was okay with, but that definitely made him upset.

Hawks believed Horford's heart was with them, would accept last offer. Horford dropped demand of full 5-year max but sides never closed gap.

Horford’s father, Tito, said in a telephone interview Saturday night that his son had narrowed his choices down to the Hawks and the Celtics. As the family discussed the options, the conversation often returned to the uncommon passion of Boston’s fans.

In Atlanta, support at home games was sometimes tepid, despite the fact that the Hawks had gone 108-56 over the last two years.

“There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I mean, even if we signed him for minimum and it didn't work out, the C's could just dump him or release him middle of the season, right? It wouldn't be that risky IMO. Not saying I'd bring him in but I'll trust Ainge and CBS here.

He may be a headcase but he still can average 16/12 to this day. If he wants to ring-chase and come off the bench (or start some games), I'd be fine with it. Ainge will definitely do his due diligence and explore and maybe talk to some guys on the team/staff.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Please God no:

NBC Sports Boston

Verified account

@NBCSBoston
 11m11 minutes ago
More
Blakely: Celtics one of several teams to vie for Dwight Howard. http://bit.ly/2K6CXiY  @ASherrodblakely

So, that means we aren't? 😂
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'd rather have Baynes, but at this point in both of their careers, I think Baynes could actually end up costing more money than Dwight Howard, which is crazy to think about given the 2 players.

Since this will be his 4th team in 4 years, and that it's coming out now that the Hornets players and coaches "got tired of his act"...I don't know how he signs for anything other than the vet minimum.  And if that's all it will cost, I honestly wouldn't mind taking a flyer.  Because then if Stevens or Ainge starts to sense even in the littlest bit that things are starting to go awry in the locker room, just release him.