Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450120 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
You can still play poker on the Internet for free, and it is perfectly legal to do so.

Which is why I stated "for money". ;)

Do I agree with the decision of the blog to forbid any type of discussion of poker?

For the record, that's not an accurate description of the blog's position; neither myself nor anybody else forbid "any type of discussion of poker".  However, until the US DOJ changes its position, the discussion of online poker for money is prohibited.

My original post was to contest the point hobbs had made that it is illegal for an individual to play online poker in the United States.

Come on, Willy.  Don't mischaracterize my words.  I stated that it is the position of the United States government that playing internet poker for money is illegal.  I didn't say it is my position, and I didn't say that all online poker is illegal.  Please don't falsely state my position again, as it should be eminently clear by this point.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
when I listed off things you should do to pass the time this summer, I don't remember including "badger the mods" on the list

this site needs Danny to do something to give us something to talk about  ::)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2007, 11:53:34 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
The real question is who would be a better Texas Hold Em player..Danny or Doc...My guess is Doc..who would ever think behind that 24/7 smile would be a bluff!

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2007, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The real question is who would be a better Texas Hold Em player..Danny or Doc...My guess is Doc..who would ever think behind that 24/7 smile would be a bluff!

That's tough.

Doc will use the exact same strategy no matter what his hand is. 

Ainge will change his strategy three times for each hand. 

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

That's tough.

This post is absolutely hilarious, and deserves a TP.  Well done.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2007, 11:59:11 AM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride
Come on, Willy.  Don't mischaracterize my words.  I stated that it is the position of the United States government that playing internet poker for money is illegal.  I didn't say it is my position, and I didn't say that all online poker is illegal.  Please don't falsely state my position again, as it should be eminently clear by this point.

Hobbs, I apologize if you are reading this as a personal attack on yourself, it is not. I am not trying to misrepresent what you said, but you quoted no one in you original post (in the locked thread) and have no such quotes from the US government that specifically reference Internet Poker as illegal by US law. The one quote you have about the "position of the bush administration" is from an attorney and partial owner of CARD PLAYER MAGAZINE.

with no direct quote and no references which proves your point (in the regard to which I was challenging it, that playing online poker [EDIT: for money] specifically has by no court been found to be an illegal act for a US citizen), I have no choice but to take this as your opinion and your own interpretation.
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride

That's tough.

hahaha, this is too good wdheeli, nice one.
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »

Offline dobbs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't believe the Mormon faith permits the telling of complete and utter falsehood, so Doc might actually be the better player.  ;D

All you'd have to do is narrow his hand range!

Danny, are you holding QJ?

Danny, do you have a flush draw?

Danny, that king of clubs hit you on the turn, didn't it?

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

That's tough.

;D That is perfectly stated and sums up our current Celtics management/coaching situation to a tee. TP for wdleehi!

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2007, 04:51:17 PM »

Offline the orange soda kid

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I just wanted to briefly express my frustration with the locking of the Len Bias Sports Pickle thread and also vent about my disapointment with the way this site is sometimes run.

I want to make it 100% clear that I'm fully aware that this is a private site, that Jeff has taken a tiny little Celtics love site and it turned it into one of the top 5 or 10 sports blogs online, and that Jeff and his Mods can do whatever they please.  As such, I really can't be anything but thankful with Jeff and everybody else who work so hard to make this site what it is. 

But I do feel strongly that the repressive "this thread is locked!" and "stop posting new threads!" attitude around here brings this site down greatly.  I'll admit I appear to be completely in the minority here, as most people agreed with the Len Bias threadstarter and thus probably enjoy the CelticsBlog atmosphere.  But what could have been a great discussion once again turned into a locked thread and a dead end.  And this happens far to often for my liking.

Again, no disrespect to Jeff or the Mods - you do a wonderful job at maintaining the site and keeping it exactly how you like it.  However, I think at times that is what holds it back.

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
When 99% of responses are "this is disgusting" or "please lock this thread", I don't see a likelihood of it turning into a "great discussion".  I just don't see what positive could have come out of it, and at some point, you have to listen to your readership.  I made it clear that Brendan didn't do anything wrong in posting the article, but the thread itself wasn't generating anything productive.

As for the thread started about obeying the posting rules, at times reminders are necessary.  I'm not sure what about that thread you found objectionable, but I 100% stand by Edgar for starting it.

I know you meant no disrespect, and the entire staff appreciates constructive criticism, as posted here.  I disagree, though, that locking threads is in any way "repressive".

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
disregard this, sorry mods, some moron got his hand on my cpu at work
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:07:36 PM by davemonsterband »
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Kid, welcome to the modern world.  What was acceptable and funny as recently as the 1980's and even the 1990's is now politically incorrect and unacceptable.  We had a thread, just for example, on a Patriots site that was mocking Vick by pointing out examples of songs that would be banned in parks he was playing in (who let the dogs out, etc....) and people went nuts about that too.

It's just a product of living in an era where people have taken the first amendment concept of the right to free speech and twisted it to mean the right to not be offended.  If you think CelticsBlog is bad, go try Columbia University for a day.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Here' one of your quotes from that thread...

Hey Orange Soda, you must be a kid because there is no way you lived through Len's death and would find anything funny about the title or article at all.

In fact, I went through the guys site and found only 1 remotely funny pun about Bill Walsh being the victim of the East Coast West Coast Offense War.... like I said, remotely funny, but it seems this guy just likes to talk about dead people, reference dead people, or make fun of people facing charges (Vick).

Check out The Onion (onion.com).  They are who this guy is trying to be and the difference is, Onion comes up with actual humor, not just tasteless crap.

No, I didn't live through Len's death.  But that doesn't change anything.  This is a style of humor that is designed to be slightly offensive - if you don't like, don't go to his site. 

And I do know the Onion - I also know that the guy who does SportsPickle writes for the Onion - so apparently they like what he does.
And here's what I say...

Whatever. The article could not possibly have been less funny and in more poor taste. That of course reflects nothing more than the opinion of an expert on dark humor and the majority sentiment of the human race with regard to such matters. I'm sure this fundamental concept seems does not exist beyond either your or Scintan's grasp.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »

Offline Cullain

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 34
  • 34 + 20 + 5 = 17
Here' one of your quotes from that thread...

Hey Orange Soda, you must be a kid because there is no way you lived through Len's death and would find anything funny about the title or article at all.

In fact, I went through the guys site and found only 1 remotely funny pun about Bill Walsh being the victim of the East Coast West Coast Offense War.... like I said, remotely funny, but it seems this guy just likes to talk about dead people, reference dead people, or make fun of people facing charges (Vick).

Check out The Onion (onion.com).  They are who this guy is trying to be and the difference is, Onion comes up with actual humor, not just tasteless crap.

No, I didn't live through Len's death.  But that doesn't change anything.  This is a style of humor that is designed to be slightly offensive - if you don't like, don't go to his site. 

And I do know the Onion - I also know that the guy who does SportsPickle writes for the Onion - so apparently they like what he does.
And here's what I say...

Whatever. The article could not possibly have been less funny and in more poor taste. That of course reflects nothing more than the opinion of an expert on dark humor and the majority sentiment of the human race with regard to such matters. I'm sure this fundamental concept seems does not exist beyond either your or Scintan's grasp.

I did live through the Bias death.  It was just when I was really getting into basketball, and it impacted me a lot.  But still - I don't get why it was such an offensive article that the thread discussing it had to be locked down.  Len Bias's death was sad, but it wasn't tragic(he killed himself), and it happenned 20 years ago.  Is it seriously too soon?