Would you trade Irving for Wall?

Yes
2 (2.4%)
No
77 (92.8%)
Maybe
4 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Trade idea: Irving for Wall  (Read 19339 times)

Re: Trade idea: Irving for Wall
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't hold locker room drama in Cleveland against Kyrie. That entire locker room and organization were dysfunctional. We know that. It was even worse this past season with Irving gone.

Kyrie was spoken of very highly by everyone in the Celtics organization last year and is always spoken of highly by USA basketball teammates and coaches and, if I remember correctly, was never a locker room problem pre-Lebron's return.

Maybe Wall would be better too if he was removed from the Washington situation (or maybe shipping out Gortat will do the trick) but he does seem like a more difficult guy to deal with.

Anyway, 95% no on the poll.
Irving was absolutely a problem in the Cavs locker room before Lebron returned and they were an even bigger mess.  In the Deng thread recently, I posted some comments from Deng about him going to Cleveland and what a disaster it was. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Which Deng thread? I didn't see anything in the buyout thread but I'd be interested to read that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Kyrie is a better scorer both volume and efficiency wise.

source

He is also more experienced and a better locker room presence.

To his credit though, Wall doesn't use the word appreciative.

Is Kyrie a strong positive locker room presence? He feuded with Dion Waiters, gave his teammates the silent treatment in the playoffs, threatened to sit out the season with an exaggerated injury if he wasn’t traded, he has allowed rumors about his departure to linger, etc.

I don’t see chemistry as being a strength for either Kyrie or Wall.
In Cleveland he may have been a problem but management here in Boston and the young players here in Boston love him.
TP. In a village franchise such as Cavs are, it is no surprise they ticked Kyrie off. He has been lovely since day 1 in Boston.
If Kyrie has a problem with Cleveland then it's Cleveland's fault, period

I'm more in favor of personal accountability.

Really? Demarcus. Cough. Cousins. Cough.
Lol, yeah. Seems like double standards here

How so? Has anyone ever lauded DMC for being a positive locker room presence? 

Kyrie hasn’t been a positive in the locker room for much of his career. Neither has Wall. Neither has DMC. Some seem unwilling to acknowledge that fact.

The only rift I've heard of was with Dion freakin Waiters, who has a notable lazy streak. He left Lebron without feuding or being a jerk about it. Everyone on that team questioned Love.

Everyone loves him on the Celtics. Brown, Tatum, and Rozier all speak really highly of him and his leadership skills.

The guy gave his teammates the silent treatment in the playoffs. How is that a plus in the locker room?

I've heard this rumor, but this could be from a singular source that didn't like Kyrie. He still played hard for his team.

As another poster said, that team was a disaster. It speaks more about Lebron's leadership than Irving's. I thought Irving fell in line with Lebron's leadership, even if at times it made him icy. He couldn't take it anymore when he found out they were trying to trade him, which is when he asked for a trade.

It may be short-sighted, but Irving was a model teammate and leader last year. The young guys loved him. I think they gained a lot of confidence through his leadership on and off the court. I don't think Rozier develops that much without him. I don't think Brown develops as quickly. I don't think Tatum shoots as well.
Dave McMenamin put it out there, but it does appear his source was James Jones, who is obviously a Lebron guy.  that said no one refuted it either, including Kyrie.

Yeah, I get it, but grown men don't respond to every accusation.
Sure, but that one is pretty [dang]ing and came from a credible and connected source.  This wasn't just some social media loon putting it out there.
I am the supporter of "treat them the way they treat you", obviously Irving ain't happy in Cleveland cause it's Lebrons team and if he felt to be disrespected i am all for him to respond

So, if he feels disrespected by Lebron, he should ice out Thompson, Love, etc.?
??"treat them the way they treat you" am i not clear enough??

Honestly, no, you weren’t particularly clear.

So you’re saying that Kyrie should *not* give his teammates the cold shoulder?  Or,’because he felt “disrespected “, anything goes?
If he felt disrespected by whoever i'm in for him to not showing respect back, whoever they are

Kyrie gave his Cavs teammates cold attitude before he ask for trade , there is a reason which none of us know but since i know how he treat his coach/GM/teammates differently in Bos i assume he has good reason to do it, like being treated disrespectful and it's easy to imagine their teammates to side with Lebron against Kyrie since it's Lebron's team
He didn't talk to his teammates in the middle of the playoffs.  This wasn't him icing them out after the season was over, he did it in the middle of a playoff run.
Yes, he did, that's what i mean, during playoff or not doesn't change my statement

KI did fight in that playoff run and it's enough for me, apparently their chemistry was broken and that affected their play on the court and KI was part of it but i'm fine with it because i don't think it's his responsibility alone, it's everybody's, and if you want to call someone out that man should be Lebron

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 06:46:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Which Deng thread? I didn't see anything in the buyout thread but I'd be interested to read that.
it was in that one I think but a simple internet search of Deng in Cleveland and they come up. It was about the locker room in general and not specifically Irving, but Irving was the best player on that team and obviously contributed to that situation.

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Have you seen Wall’s contract? I would rather Irving walk and the Celtics promote Rozier before taking that albatross of a contract on.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
it was in that one I think but a simple internet search of Deng in Cleveland and they come up. It was about the locker room in general and not specifically Irving, but Irving was the best player on that team and obviously contributed to that situation.

I didn't see anything in that thread about it and googling what you're talking about yielded a bunch of results of Luol Deng saying the article about him allegedly complaining about the Cavs locker room was bunk

“It’s a distraction,” he said. “I mean all this stuff that I hear, but when we’re in the locker room with these guys every day, they love each other. I can’t say one word or one incident, and when we get on the court, we never think twice about it.”
http://www.morningjournal.com/sports/20140419/cleveland-cavaliers-luol-deng-says-kyrie-irving-and-dion-waiters-love-each-other

"I’m disappointed that there’s an article like that. It doesn’t make sense to me saying, ‘close friends.’ Just name whoever told you that if you do have somebody, but I feel like people are always looking for something to write about. I’m new here, so obviously writing an article like that fits right in saying that’s how I feel. I’ve said it many times. I’m excited for the opportunity. I’m happy to be here."
https://www.fearthesword.com/2014/2/2/5370192/nba-rumors-luol-deng-and-others-express-frustration-with-cleveland

"I don't say anything outside of this locker room to my friends, and second of all, none of my friends would ever talk to reporters,"
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/02/luol_deng_says_he_didnt_say_an.html
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I didn't see anything in that thread about it and googling what you're talking about yielded a bunch of results of Luol Deng saying the article about him allegedly complaining about the Cavs locker room was bunk

“It’s a distraction,” he said. “I mean all this stuff that I hear, but when we’re in the locker room with these guys every day, they love each other. I can’t say one word or one incident, and when we get on the court, we never think twice about it.”
http://www.morningjournal.com/sports/20140419/cleveland-cavaliers-luol-deng-says-kyrie-irving-and-dion-waiters-love-each-other

"I’m disappointed that there’s an article like that. It doesn’t make sense to me saying, ‘close friends.’ Just name whoever told you that if you do have somebody, but I feel like people are always looking for something to write about. I’m new here, so obviously writing an article like that fits right in saying that’s how I feel. I’ve said it many times. I’m excited for the opportunity. I’m happy to be here."
https://www.fearthesword.com/2014/2/2/5370192/nba-rumors-luol-deng-and-others-express-frustration-with-cleveland

"I don't say anything outside of this locker room to my friends, and second of all, none of my friends would ever talk to reporters,"
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/02/luol_deng_says_he_didnt_say_an.html

In terms of the question of whether Kyrie had issues in the locker room pre-Lebron, here are quotes from your links:

Most problems center around Kyrie and Dion Waiters, and both have attitudes that rub the team the wrong way.

- One teammate said that Irving "acts like he doesn't care"

The Cleveland Cavaliers locker room appears to be kind of a mess. Shortly after trying to figure out if Kyrie does or does not want out of Cleveland, and how he could go about do it...

Kyrie Irving allegedly wants to fire his agent, because his agent wants him to stay in Cleveland and Kyrie wants to go to New York.

Ther were A LOT of chemistry issues in Cleveland, many circling around Kyrie. It was a terrible locker room — Waiters, Bynum and Kyrie all had issues, independently and with each other.  Again, outside of last year, contributing positively to the lock room hasn’t been a strength of Kyrie’s. Nothing really separates him from Wall in that specific regard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

In terms of the question of whether Kyrie had issues in the locker room pre-Lebron, here are quotes from your links:

Most problems center around Kyrie and Dion Waiters, and both have attitudes that rub the team the wrong way.

The Cleveland Cavaliers locker room appears to be kind of a mess. Shortly after trying to figure out if Kyrie does or does not want out of Cleveland, and how he could go about do it...

Kyrie Irving allegedly wants to fire his agent, because his agent wants him to stay in Cleveland and Kyrie wants to go to New York.

Ther were A LOT of chemistry issues in Cleveland, many circling around Kyrie. It was a terrible locker room — Waiters, Bynum and Kyrie all had issues, independently and with each other.  Again, outside of last year, contributing positively to the lock room hasn’t been a strength of Kyrie’s. Nothing really separates him from Wall in that specific regard.

Wall has legit issues with Beal. I don’t know of Kyrie having beef with another star on his own team.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Wall has legit issues with Beal. I don’t know of Kyrie having beef with another star on his own team.

Except for Lebron? He clearly “has beef” there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It is a question of life and death. :)
I chose life.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

And Waiters who obviously never progressed much but was the 2nd best player in Cleveland behind Irving. 

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

If you were working at a law firm and a fellow employee tried to cost you your job, or the firm let you go because of the personal vendetta of a partner, you would probably ‘have beef’ too.

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If you were working at a law firm and a fellow employee tried to cost you your job, or the firm let you go because of the personal vendetta of a partner, you would probably ‘have beef’ too.

So, your argument is that Kyrie doesn’t beef with stars on his own team except when he’s beefing with stars on his own team?

Also, neither of the things in your metaphorical hypothetical are accurate, at least in terms of what allegedly caused the friction.

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2018, 05:49:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So, your argument is that Kyrie doesn’t beef with stars on his own team except when he’s beefing with stars on his own team?

Also, neither of the things in your metaphorical hypothetical are accurate, at least in terms of what allegedly caused the friction.
Yep, Irving didn't want James to even return.  He always had an issue with him.  So he went from beefing with Waiters to beefing with James.

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Yep, Irving didn't want James to even return.  He always had an issue with him.  So he went from beefing with Waiters to beefing with James.

Funny, when people bring up MJ, or Kobe taking Tatum under his wing, I don’t see you guys chiming in that Kobe mentoring Tatum is a bad thing because he had issues with teammates.

Seems like you just hold it against guys you don’t like.

Perhaps you can show me where you said KG was a bad teammate Roy, since he punched Wally Z in Minny. And Moranis, why don’t you point out where you’ve recently called Lebron a bad teammate, since he beefed with Kyrie?