Author Topic: Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2008 Edition  (Read 17813 times)

Re: Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2008 Edition
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
o'byrant is making 1.5 mill next year isn't he?

The Herald and Fox Sports reported two years at the minimum, the Globe reported 2 years, $3 million.  There's been no confirmation either way.

For whatever it's worth, hoopshype has O'bryant with 1.5m next year and then 1.62m. I also thought there was some sort of team option, but hoopshype has none.

Just to confirm BudweiserCeltic:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

House's signing is for $2.7 mil this year, player option for next year at $2.9 mil, while Allen's signing is for $2.5 mil this year and next, per the Globe.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 07:00:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The Herald and Fox Sports reported two years at the minimum, the Globe reported 2 years, $3 million.  There's been no confirmation either way.

For whatever it's worth, hoopshype has O'bryant with 1.5m next year and then 1.62m. I also thought there was some sort of team option, but hoopshype has none.

House's signing is for $2.7 mil this year, player option for next year at $2.9 mil, while Allen's signing is for $2.5 mil this year and next, per the Globe.

I'll change the table to reflect that, although Hoopshype isn't always reliable.  For instance, they had Posey's salary wrong for the longest time (until member P2 contacted them about it), and they currently have Rondo's salary wrong (it's above and beyond 120% of the rookie scale).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'll change the table to reflect that, although Hoopshype isn't always reliable.  For instance, they had Posey's salary wrong for the longest time (until member P2 contacted them about it), and they currently have Rondo's salary wrong (it's above and beyond 120% of the rookie scale).

That's why I prefaced by post with "For whatever it's worth". They're probably people like us, who read the news stories and make judgements on how things played out. But to arrive at the 2.7 figure is interesting, I don't think I've read that anywhere.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Anyone has an idea of how much of our MLE we have left, and other financial exceptions? By my estimation we still have about $2.5 million of the MLE and the LLE. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:29:12 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Anyone has an idea of how much of our MLE we have left, and other financial exceptions? By my estimation we still have about $2.5 million of the MLE and the LLE. Am I wrong?

I think that is likely somewhere in the neighborhood.  Its tough to know for sure, since we don't have the details of Bill Walker's contract (although I believe it was paid with part of the MLE), and the details of POB's are still debated (although I think most people are in agreement that it was the vet minimum at this point).

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I think that is likely somewhere in the neighborhood.  Its tough to know for sure, since we don't have the details of Bill Walker's contract (although I believe it was paid with part of the MLE), and the details of POB's are still debated (although I think most people are in agreement that it was the vet minimum at this point).

Yeah, those are my doubts at the moment and why I cant really say for sure. But $2.5m seems about right to me. My real doubt is with the Cassell deal, I thought he had signed for more than the minimum.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

According to the Globe, we have $2.3 million left.

Quote from: Boston Globe, November 11, 2008
The Celtics have $2.3 million remaining from their mid-level exception to offer McDyess, but the Lakers and Cavaliers can offer more than $5 million.

The Herald also cited this number.  I believe we also have the LLE left, as it looks like POB signed a minimum deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

The Celtics have $2.3 million remaining from their mid-level exception to offer McDyess, but the Lakers and Cavaliers can offer more than $5 million.

The Herald also cited this number.  I believe we also have the LLE left, as it looks like POB signed a minimum deal.

Are these amounts renewed at the end of the year?  Will we have the full MLE and LLE to offer in July when the season is over?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Are these amounts renewed at the end of the year?  Will we have the full MLE and LLE to offer in July when the season is over?

MLE every year, but the ammount of what the MLE will be is yet to be determined.

The LLE you can only use once every two years.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The LLE you can only use once every two years.

Right, which is why they will likely hold onto it, unless they absolutely need to use it. 

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
UPDATE:

17) When do teams need to sign players by for them to be eligible to play in the playoffs?  Is it true that Joe Smith, Stephon Marbury, etc., need to be signed by the Celtics prior to March 1 to be on the playoff roster?

To be eligible to play in the playoffs, a player must be *waived* no later than March 1.  So long as that player is waived by such date, he can sign at any point prior to the last day of the regular season and still play in the playoffs.

18) How much money do the Celtics have to offer a free agent?  Could the Cavaliers outspend us?

Boston has $2.392 of the MLE left; Cleveland has $5.135 million.  The amount each team can offer Smith is reduced by 1/180 for every day after January 10, meaning that if Smith signs a contract on, say, March 1, his contract is reduced by 50/180s.  In such instance, Boston could offer a maximum of $1.66 million, and Cleveland could offer a maximum of $3.71 million.  It's not necessarily likely that either team will go that high, but they could if they wished to.

Additionally, each team can offer a pro-rated share of its "LLE", described above.  Lastly, any team can sign a player to a minimum contract at any time, so long as they have fewer than 15 players on their roster.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
UPDATE:

17) When do teams need to sign players by for them to be eligible to play in the playoffs?  Is it true that Joe Smith, Stephon Marbury, etc., need to be signed by the Celtics prior to March 1 to be on the playoff roster?

To be eligible to play in the playoffs, a player must be *waived* no later than March 1.  So long as that player is waived by such date, he can sign at any point prior to the last day of the regular season and still play in the playoffs.

18) How much money do the Celtics have to offer a free agent?  Could the Cavaliers outspend us?

Boston has $2.392 of the MLE left; Cleveland has $5.135 million.  The amount each team can offer Smith is reduced by 1/180 for every day after January 10, meaning that if Smith signs a contract on, say, March 1, his contract is reduced by 50/180s.  In such instance, Boston could offer a maximum of $1.66 million, and Cleveland could offer a maximum of $3.71 million.  It's not necessarily likely that either team will go that high, but they could if they wished to.

Additionally, each team can offer a pro-rated share of its "LLE", described above.  Lastly, any team can sign a player to a minimum contract at any time, so long as they have fewer than 15 players on their roster.
This might not be the right thread to ask this question on but here goes anyway. Do you think the Celtics would offer all of that money to Marbury considering he seems more concerned about money than Smith? If we did offer him that much 1.66 wouldn't that make up for the money he is giving up this year?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I doubt we'd offer Marbury more than the minimum because, frankly, there's no real incentive to.  It's doubtful that there will be any sort of bidding war for Starbury, so he'll be forced to take the minimum.

With Smith, the Celtics, Cavs, and Lakers are all said to be interested in him.  Should he become a free agent, he'll have options, which means that the team that acquires him may have to pay him a little more.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned with this right now, but just out of curiosity, will the Celtics have the cap space to make a run at Durant in a few years?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned with this right now, but just out of curiosity, will the Celtics have the cap space to make a run at Durant in a few years?

It's too early to say, but if they want to target the summer Durants becomes a free agent to spend big, they'll be able to.