Author Topic: CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)  (Read 34993 times)

Re: CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I caught on in 2005 soon after I had moved temporarily from Boston to Italy.  I was so starved for celtics news, I remember I used to hit the refresh button on boston.com celtics page over and over again hoping something new would pop up.  I would scour the internet looking for anything related to the celtics and that is how I stumbled upon this site.  It's really crazy to think about it, but it has truly changed my life.  I'm sure its the same for many of you, but celticsblog is the site that I check most often everyday, as well as the first site that I go to as soon as the internet works.  Hell, I only really use the internet to check four or five different sites regularly, but Celticsblog is the one I look forward to the most.

We have an actual community here.  I feel strangely familiar with everyone here, their personalities, styles and insights.  I feel like I know everyone really intimately even though I've never met a single one of you in person (except for my brother Reggies Ghost.)  In fact, I can still remember the day when I introduced him him to the site, and now a few years later he is the "sig master."  He's never been the same since that day that I explained to him what celticsblog was all about.

And thinking about my progression on the site is even more entertaining.  For the first few years I was purely and completely a guest.  I was afraid of opening an account.  That sounds weird to say, but I enjoyed so much reading everyone else's insights, and was very intimidated of getting into arguments on my own, even if they weren't face to face and the consequences of disagreeing were small.  After a few years I finally got up the courage to create my own account, but even then I hardly ever posted.  As you guys can see from my post count, I still don't do it very often.  I have incredibly strong opinions about the celtics, and I laugh now at the thought that I get frustrated if there isn't a new article by Jeff every time I refresh the main page, as though he should be on there adding something new every 30 minutes.  Hell, if Roy Hobbs doesn't actually look like Gene Hackman from Hoosiers I might have a nervous breakdown.  Haha.

But, in the end, Celticsblog feels strangely like a home.  No matter where I am in the world, or what I'm doing, if I have an internet connection I can always come back to a place where I feel right.

Thanks Jeff, Celticsblog is definitely deserving of a Hall of Fame.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
Biggs I remember u and those good ol Boston.com Chat days. I loved the old chat with guys like Hagrid Gandalf OldTimer Rodzilla Reyquilla and others. I also recall calling WEEI and giving shout outs to the fellas in that chat. To bad no one is ever in the chat on this site unless there is a game or on draft night.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
What year did the C's re-acquire Toine?  I'm pretty sure that was how I found this place.  I needed the info!

As for the inductee ideas I stand by Jeff's opinion on these (with the exception of his humble self exclusion). 

I also think it works nicely to start with the Class of `04 as we have a 5 year period to judge that no one goes Madoff on us or anything  ;) .

So, where do we from here in terms of some sort of official statement or home for this?

It was the deadline of the 2005 season.  ;)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I caught on in 2005 soon after I had moved temporarily from Boston to Italy.  I was so starved for celtics news, I remember I used to hit the refresh button on boston.com celtics page over and over again hoping something new would pop up.  I would scour the internet looking for anything related to the celtics and that is how I stumbled upon this site.  It's really crazy to think about it, but it has truly changed my life.  I'm sure its the same for many of you, but celticsblog is the site that I check most often everyday, as well as the first site that I go to as soon as the internet works.  Hell, I only really use the internet to check four or five different sites regularly, but Celticsblog is the one I look forward to the most.

We have an actual community here.  I feel strangely familiar with everyone here, their personalities, styles and insights.  I feel like I know everyone really intimately even though I've never met a single one of you in person (except for my brother Reggies Ghost.)  In fact, I can still remember the day when I introduced him him to the site, and now a few years later he is the "sig master."  He's never been the same since that day that I explained to him what celticsblog was all about.

And thinking about my progression on the site is even more entertaining.  For the first few years I was purely and completely a guest.  I was afraid of opening an account.  That sounds weird to say, but I enjoyed so much reading everyone else's insights, and was very intimidated of getting into arguments on my own, even if they weren't face to face and the consequences of disagreeing were small.  After a few years I finally got up the courage to create my own account, but even then I hardly ever posted.  As you guys can see from my post count, I still don't do it very often.  I have incredibly strong opinions about the celtics, and I laugh now at the thought that I get frustrated if there isn't a new article by Jeff every time I refresh the main page, as though he should be on there adding something new every 30 minutes.  Hell, if Roy Hobbs doesn't actually look like Gene Hackman from Hoosiers I might have a nervous breakdown.  Haha.

But, in the end, Celticsblog feels strangely like a home.  No matter where I am in the world, or what I'm doing, if I have an internet connection I can always come back to a place where I feel right.

Testify!

Gotta love a good CB lovin' post.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
Oh and one last thing that I forgot.  Celticsblog was the inspiration for my brother and I to make Greentown's Finest.  After discovering that there was such a strong willed community of celtics fans who were starving for content, we got the idea to start our documentary series about them.  Our whole goal the entire time was just to make it so that we could get people on celticsblog to watch it.  I remember planning ahead and making sure our forum post introducing the first chapter was exactly the way we wanted it, choosing every word so carefully.  Our whole basis of whether it was a success or not was dependent upon what people here thought, as we worked on it for months without any goal of making money.

There is a lot of passion on display on this site everyday.  Greentowns Finest would never have existed without celticsblog.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What year did the C's re-acquire Toine?  I'm pretty sure that was how I found this place.  I needed the info!

That was February 2005.  That's about the same time I joined.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 01:13:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I honestly don't remember when I started posting here.  I think back then I use to spend some time chatting with the savages on the ESPN message boards.  I still remember someone referencing Marcus Banks by saying, "6-7 Larry Bird.  Boy's a stah!! Book it!" which I think had started as a running joke from someone describing Jiri in that fashion and then turned into a fitting description for every young Celtic regardless of type and height.

That still makes me giggle for some reason.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:40 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I love seeing the history and old days of CelticsBlog.  I am not sure when I found this wonderful place but I do know I have been through several iterations of the place  as it moved from server to server.  I definitely second the motion for Jeff as a Hall of Famer.  Good stuff!

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

That was February 2005.  That's about the same time I joined.

sometimes I forget that there was a CelticsBlog before Roy Hobbes, the two seem pretty synonymous
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Yup, that's a Tommy Point.
Get those posts rolling, boy!  :)

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I remember Hagrid, I think. Now I'm starting to feel a little old haha. I must have been lurking around CB since I was like 13 or 14... So brash in those days. My lord I'm old.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

Testify!

Be honest, did you tear up a little bit reading it?

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Testify!

like THIS MUCH
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Yup

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

Yup, that's a Tommy Point.
Get those posts rolling, boy!  :)

Thanks for the TP.  I'm sure many legitimately feel the same way I do.  And the funny thing is that I've been posting a lot more the last two weeks.  I think I've doubled my posts in that time.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Testify!

like THIS MUCH
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Then again it may have just been my allergies...Sneezing my face off here today.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:53:51 PM by Redz »
Yup