Author Topic: LBJ probably made a wrong move by going to the Lakers  (Read 2898 times)

LBJ probably made a wrong move by going to the Lakers
« on: October 01, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He looked very small in Laker colors just like he did next to Wade in Miami and even more so. He will have to win multiple championships as the main star for him to be considered a Laker legend. This becomes even harder if he needs a Kawhi and or AD to win.

Re: LBJ probably made a wrong move by going to the Lakers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
He looked very small in Laker colors just like he did next to Wade in Miami and even more so. He will have to win multiple championships as the main star for him to be considered a Laker legend. This becomes even harder if he needs a Kawhi and or AD to win.

I don't believe he went there for basketball reasons. I think it was for career after basketball and family.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't believe he went there for basketball reasons. I think it was for career after basketball and family.

I agree. He’s already an NBA legend, so being a Lakers legend is less important.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The non-basketball reasons were definitely a part of it; his son goes to school in LA, and his businesses are located there.  But LeBron himself said he wanted the challenge of restoring the Lakers to their former glory.

I don't think that means he's concerned with being a Lakers legend, per se, but that by winning there it would elevate his overall legacy.  Being the best player on championship teams with three different franchises would be a pretty big feather in his cap.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The non-basketball reasons were definitely a part of it; his son goes to school in LA, and his businesses are located there.  But LeBron himself said he wanted the challenge of restoring the Lakers to their former glory.

I don't think that means he's concerned with being a Lakers legend, per se, but that by winning there it would elevate his overall legacy.  Being the best player on championship teams with three different franchises would be a pretty big feather in his cap.
Not gonna catch MJ for titles but the 3 different franchises thing would be unique.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
he would match sam horry, who has rings from houston, LA, san antonio. so, rare? yes. unique? no.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
he would match sam horry, who has rings from houston, LA, san antonio. so, rare? yes. unique? no.

Robert.

But Sam Cassell + Robert Horry would be a really interesting player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
He's basically already said it's not about rings anymore. Laker fans must love to hear that one lol

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A wrong basketball move? I certainly hope so.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Sam Horry doesn’t exist and Robert Horry wasn’t the best player, or even top 3, on any of those teams.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
He went to LA for Hollywood not to Lakers..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
So, in the OP's eyes, what would've been the right move for Lebron?

Staying in CLE with a team that has pretty clearly plateaued?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Sam Horry doesn’t exist and Robert Horry wasn’t the best player, or even top 3, on any of those teams.

Although Robert - I have more rings than MJ - Horry wasn’t the best player, he certainly was instrumental on every Championship team he was part of

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Although Robert - I have more rings than MJ - Horry wasn’t the best player, he certainly was instrumental on every Championship team he was part of
Yeah, particularly his Houston and LA rings. He wasn't just hopping around on the end of the bench
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't think this was a basketball move. He's already a basketball legend (whether I like to admit it or not). He's going to go down as a top five player of all time, to some top 2, and to others the best of all time. He doesn't have anything left to prove basketball wise. He's going to LA to dip his hand into other markets outside of basketball and relocate with his family while riding off into the sunset these last 4+ however many years.

He wins another ring great. He doesn't, he already gets enough crap from people who hate him anyway.