Author Topic: Was Kyrie Irving Suspended last night?  (Read 4560 times)

Re: Was Kyrie Irving Suspended last night?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
And I would have no problem if they went a step further and suspended him. That would be justified.

For trying to lead? It’s not Kyrie’s strong suit, but is he wrong that there are agendas on the team?  That there’s coasting, from guys who haven’t earned the right to coast?

Yes. When his attempts are causing divisions within the team instead of bringing the team together.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Nope -- but I would be happy if he was because of his disparaging comments towards his teammates (and not for the first time either).

You had fun watching last game's 3rd quarter so this kind of comment is to be expected.

His comments weren't bad. He didn't single out anybody. Heck he even included himself in his criticisms. This isn't like what Wade and Butler did. It also looks like the team liked his pep talk after the game, but I guess haters like you will ignore that.

Also it looks like Paul Pierce agree with Kyrie.
"Disparaging comments" LOL

No wonder this league is charmin soft these days.

Do we think Jaylen had to go call his mommy after big bad Kyrie hurt his feelings?

I disagree. I think Kyrie's comments are causing divisions within the team with his blame the "young guys" shtick. I do think his comments are singling out players. It is clear who he is talking about (Rozier, Jaylen, Tatum). Three players. He is a creating an us (Kyrie, Morris, Horford, Smart) vs them (Rozier, Jaylen, Tatum) situation and that is not healthy for the team.

I do think at the very least Ainge or Stevens should have talked to Kyrie about how his comments are troubling for the team. And I would have no problem if they went a step further and suspended him. That would be justified.

Kyrie said he would stop doing it. Hopefully he will.

I agree that Kyrie should have been suspended. Even though I'm fully comfortable with his critism, Ainge should have stepped in and suspend him for a game on the principle that it's not up to players to publicly question teammates or coaches.

But at the same time adress the questions that Kyrie asked. In that way you can both deal with the problems as keeping everybody accountable for what they say and do.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And I would have no problem if they went a step further and suspended him. That would be justified.

For trying to lead? It’s not Kyrie’s strong suit, but is he wrong that there are agendas on the team?  That there’s coasting, from guys who haven’t earned the right to coast?

Yes. When his attempts are causing divisions within the team instead of bringing the team together.

Larry Bird called his teammates “sissies” during the NBA Finals. His goal was to p--- them off, to motivate them.  KG made BBD cry, and was downright mean to guys who didn’t put work in.

It used to be when somebody questioned a guy’s manhood, he tried to prove his doubters wrong. Now, it’s seemingly an excuse to shrink and play poorly.

If Tatum and Brown are going to be stars, they need to become mentally tougher.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nope -- but I would be happy if he was because of his disparaging comments towards his teammates (and not for the first time either).

You had fun watching last game's 3rd quarter so this kind of comment is to be expected.

His comments weren't bad. He didn't single out anybody. Heck he even included himself in his criticisms. This isn't like what Wade and Butler did. It also looks like the team liked his pep talk after the game, but I guess haters like you will ignore that.

Do we think Jaylen had to go call his mommy after big bad Kyrie hurt his feelings?

I disagree. I think Kyrie's comments are causing divisions within the team with his blame the "young guys" shtick. I do think his comments are singling out players. It is clear who he is talking about (Rozier, Jaylen, Tatum). Three players. He is a creating an us (Kyrie, Morris, Horford, Smart) vs them (Rozier, Jaylen, Tatum) situation and that is not healthy for the team.

I do think at the very least Ainge or Stevens should have talked to Kyrie about how his comments are troubling for the team. And I would have no problem if they went a step further and suspended him. That would be justified.

I agree that Kyrie should have been suspended. Even though I'm fully comfortable with his critism, Ainge should have stepped in and suspend him for a game on the principle that it's not up to players to publicly question teammates or coaches.

But at the same time adress the questions that Kyrie asked. In that way you can both deal with the problems as keeping everybody accountable for what they say and do.

Is there any precedent for this?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Larry Bird called his teammates “sissies” during the NBA Finals. His goal was to p--- them off, to motivate them.  KG made BBD cry, and was downright mean to guys who didn’t put work in.

It used to be when somebody questioned a guy’s manhood, he tried to prove his doubters wrong. Now, it’s seemingly an excuse to shrink and play poorly.

The league is trending towards softer treatment, but I think it's silly. The people getting critical of this are confusing to me, because I bet they loved KG and what he did
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Is there any precedent for this?

I don't know. But then they should start it. Kyrie definitely went out of line with his comments. It's up to the coaching staff and management to call out players publicly, and even then you'd like to be able to do it internal.

I agree with most things Irving said, but next time it's Hayward (although knowing his character, unlikely) who's going to blame other players for selfishness. Or maybe Brown will show his dissatisfaction about his role on the team and that some veterans are holding him back.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:48 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

100% agree. And comparatively, what Kyrie said really wasn't aggressive or denigrating. But I guess the truth always stings more.

Frankly, I'd rather have a guy who's annoyed and frustrated by losing than someone who's complacent with it as long as they're getting numbers.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Probably should have been.

Wow this place is getting super hostile
Whipping boy is really copping it

Him, Brown, Hayward, Tatum. What's funny is that Smart isn't the prominent fall guy this year. :D

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think it's worth noting that Bird said "We played like a bunch of sissies." He included himself. Kyrie was singling out other players on the team by talking about the "young guys."
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Probably should have been.

Wow this place is getting super hostile
Whipping boy is really copping it

Him, Brown, Hayward, Tatum. What's funny is that Smart isn't the prominent fall guy this year. :D

Hi fellow Rondo
at least no one has reportedly thrown a water bottle and broken a tv screen

:D

that's something that would actually deserve a suspension
not sure what this thread's suggestion is on about

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

The league is trending towards softer treatment, but I think it's silly. The people getting critical of this are confusing to me, because I bet they loved KG and what he did

KG had the clout to do that... You tend to have a little more credibility when you give 100% effort every second you're on the court for your entire career.

Kyrie is a different story... I think the fact that he called out his teammates to be more accountable and then sat out the very next game with no apparent injury - fair or not - tells you everything you need to know about Kyrie's, "leadership abilities."   

This is the same guy who didn't attend game 7 of the eastern conference finals... And who refused to talk to his Cav teammates for an entire season.  Great player? Sure.  Great leader, example, teammate?  I don't know anyone who's ever accused him of that.   

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

KG had the clout to do that... You tend to have a little more credibility when you give 100% effort every second you're on the court for your entire career.

Kyrie is a different story... I think the fact that he called out his teammates to be more accountable and then sat out the very next game with no apparent injury - fair or not - tells you everything you need to know about Kyrie's, "leadership abilities."   

This is the same guy who didn't attend game 7 of the eastern conference finals... And who refused to talk to his Cav teammates for an entire season.  Great player? Sure.  Great leader, example, teammate?  I don't know anyone who's ever accused him of that.

KG punched two different teammates (Wally Szczerbiak and Rick Rickert) during his tenure with Minnesota. People love to talk up KG's leadership qualities, but he was far perfect. "Leaders" make mistakes all the time - although I still don't think Kyrie was out of line with anything he said. In fact, if you go through your favorite player's history, I guarantee you'll find some questionable things in the early years before they become "leaders". For more disparaging than anything Kyrie said in that postgame press conference.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

KG punched two different teammates (Wally Szczerbiak and Rick Rickert) during his tenure with Minnesota. People love to talk up KG's leadership qualities, but he was far perfect. "Leaders" make mistakes all the time - although I still don't think Kyrie was out of line with anything he said. In fact, if you go through your favorite player's history, I guarantee you'll find some questionable things in the early years before they become "leaders". For more disparaging than anything Kyrie said in that postgame press conference.
To follow this up, the great Celtic leader himself, Larry Bird, was so good at being a leader and setting an example, he got into a bar fight in the middle of the 1985 ECFs and may have done damage to his hand that he played through the rest of the playoffs. A playoffs where the C's lost to the Lakers in the playoffs for the first time ever.

Not every leader starts out a great leader or is a great leader all the time.

Also, to IDreamCeltics, stating Kyrie sat out for no apparent reason last game is extremely inaccurate. The Celtics medical team and front office said he was injured. Kyrie said he was injured. Stevens said he was injured. So he sat out. But he was on the bench, cheering his team on and talking to his team mates during the game. You have to think if the team felt he was lying to them about the injury, he wouldn't be allowed to sit courtside.

If you want to be critical of Kyrie, go right ahead, but stating he had no apparent injury when everyone involved with the situation said he was injured simply because you want to be critical of the guy ain't cool. You're just trying to create a false narrative there.

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
People still upset that Kyrie wasn't there in street clothes in Game 7 to rah-rah for the boys in green?

::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

"

Larry is Larry and for the record he said "WE played like sissies" and it was about one game......

Gotta love the Kyrie denials , they have to change things around to fit the narrative. Shocking. Good Job Roy :)