Author Topic: Does our bench suck?  (Read 17834 times)

Re: Does our bench suck?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2008, 11:57:29 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As long as Scal is on the active roster. As long as Scal gets in the occasional game when it's not a blow out, I can never completely trust Doc's rotations.

When it comes to Doc's rotations I sometimes wonder. Is it the young players not being ready or the vets being favored?

Lets take a breath here. It IS only game 9 and in 5 of the games, i wouldn't have wanted a rookie anywhere near the floor (clev, Det, Atl, Hou, bucks)

so, doc hasent exactly had a lot of time to even do the 2-4 minutes a game for walker and pruitt im advocating. not sure we can say anything about his "trust" level. we needed those games, and thus needed our core bench.
Last night Doc made the statement of he wanted Pierce and the rest of the staters to play high minutes the first 15games of the season for a couple reasons.One is to get into season shape,two was the first 15 games are ones we need to get because other teams are working out their kinks and getting use to one another.He feels the beginning games set a tone in a way around the league.Besides not using rookies or new guys are not a part of Doc's thought process or system anyhow.

TP, to qoute carson "I did not know that"

good stuff, makes sense :)
said it in his postgame interview thanks :)

TP for mentioning what Doc said.  It makes a ton of sense.  Doc didn't want his starters to report to camp early and the bench played a ton of minutes in the preseason so he using the first 15 games or so to overextend the starters minutes if need be to establish a good rhythm and for the reasons you mentioned.   

If Doc stays true to his word and starts to shorten the minutes for the starters then games 15 through 40 are going to be crucial for the bench players to prove they are worthy of playing a role for the stretch run beyond the trade deadline.  I think or at least I'm hoping you'll see Walker, Pruitt, POB, Scal get some spot meaningful minutes during this time.

Getting back to the subject line.   If you take away the last 2 games the bench has played very well.  In fact after the starters have come out flat in most of these games the bench has gotten  them back in games.   If you think about it if wasn't for our bench we could have a couple extra losses.  They hardly suck at all.   

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2008, 04:19:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
To paraphrase Rick Pitino in Roy's sig:

The negativity round here sucks.

I don't see much negativity, rather a lot of bipolarism. A few days ago the bench was extraordinary and was winning us the games, now it sucks.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle: it's not a top-notch bench, it doesn't have the Lakers' one quality, nor the depth of Indiana or the quality and depth of Houston. On the other hand, there are far worse benches on the league. For the regular season, this bench, including the guys who are out of the rotation, is more than enough. For the play-offs, I'm not so sure. PO basketball has a premium on consistency, heady play, experience and size, and this bench has some flaws.   

As for Bill Walker, what do people want to see now that they didn't see in the pre-season?

but, this TA that's playing right now? sure.

TA from last year? nope.

Which TA played the last 2 games?

your right, first 7 games don't count.

i forgot that we only judge players by the last 15 minutes here on the blog.  ::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Look, I think Tony is fine in the regular season...and he's played a few good games and a few bad ones
Come playoff time he's just not trustworthy IMO and cant be on the floor in big situations, and I find it hard to believe anyone thinks differently about that...you want TA on the floor in a tight playoff game/series?

He plays great defense. We play reasonably well with him on the floor. His turnovers are down. I can live with it.

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Look, I think Tony is fine in the regular season...and he's played a few good games and a few bad ones
Come playoff time he's just not trustworthy IMO and cant be on the floor in big situations, and I find it hard to believe anyone thinks differently about that...you want TA on the floor in a tight playoff game/series?

He plays great defense. We play reasonably well with him on the floor. His turnovers are down. I can live with it.

Bottom line...lets get McDyess in here to anchor it up a little more!

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
TA has great defense but he is soooooooo sloppy and out of control on offense most of the time. Where's Posey?  :-[

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
posey? powe and tony's defense + houses shooting more than makes up for our "devestating loss"

the problem with our bench is that we need for POB to step up and stop wasting a roster spot.

and Pruitt needs to play.

now is the time to be testing these players, doc has been playing the bench like we're in the playoffs (which is good to see) but how are these guys gonna gel and form together if they're just watching? i understand walker and JR are rookies and rookies don't need to play on a defending championship team that is bassically all back. but pruitt has atleast warranted a shot becuase of his preseason performance.

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why do people keep complaining about TA's sloppyness when it has barely been an issue, if an issue at all, this season?

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2008, 12:00:33 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
posey? powe and tony's defense + houses shooting more than makes up for our "devestating loss"

This "Player A + Player B = Player C" stuff is bogus.
This just shows that you have to play two guys instead of one, which means you have to sit someone else.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't see our bench working out throughout the whole season as is. With our bench now, it forces our starters to play more minutes, and Eddie House to throw up more shots. If We keep losing to sorry teams this year, we have a chance of losing homecourt in the playoffs, and we all know how well our Celts play on the road in the post season...Cleveland is the biggest threat in the East, with a close 2nd behind Detroit, And the Lakers will own the West this year, probably taking the title of most season wins in the league. We need a bench upgrade ASAP, even if it is Marbury and or Bonzi Wells.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2008, 12:18:15 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Why do people keep complaining about TA's sloppyness when it has barely been an issue, if an issue at all, this season?

i agree that it is not so much sloppiness or inconsistency (the two most common tags put on him) that is the problem for TA.

I think he just matches up better against some teams than he does others.

teams that are long and athletic are able to collapse on his drives and basically take him out of the game offensively.

but then you have more straight up D teams like DET and he goes to town...

the problem i see is that we don't have another option on nights when TA is not a good matchup...

i also wouldn't mind still having a guy like Pollard around with a little more height to come in in certain situations and fight like hell for 5 mins...knock a few bodies around.

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2008, 01:45:49 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

This "Player A + Player B = Player C" stuff is bogus.

so is overrating a bench player from last year to a ridiculous degree.

james posey= chuck norris, and this is coming from a guy with posey high on his binky list.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
To paraphrase Rick Pitino in Roy's sig:

The negativity round here sucks.

I don't see much negativity, rather a lot of bipolarism. A few days ago the bench was extraordinary and was winning us the games, now it sucks.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle: it's not a top-notch bench, it doesn't have the Lakers' one quality, nor the depth of Indiana or the quality and depth of Houston. On the other hand, there are far worse benches on the league. For the regular season, this bench, including the guys who are out of the rotation, is more than enough. For the play-offs, I'm not so sure. PO basketball has a premium on consistency, heady play, experience and size, and this bench has some flaws.   

As for Bill Walker, what do people want to see now that they didn't see in the pre-season?

but, this TA that's playing right now? sure.

TA from last year? nope.

Which TA played the last 2 games?

your right, first 7 games don't count.

i forgot that we only judge players by the last 15 minutes here on the blog.  ::)

Tony Allen's problem is that he's very inconsistent. He had a big game in Detroit, a couple of solid games, a couple of underwhelming games, a couple of terrible games... some plays he made recently are game-changers. Do you remember the last possession of the 1st half in the game vs. Atlanta? That kind of mistake can seal or change the momentum in a elimination game and he makes way too many of those. His inconsistency will be a very big handicap during the play-offs, especially if he's our only swingman on the bench. Hopefully he'll change till then.

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
With the exception of House it sure sucked last night, and has sucked pretty bad all week.  Last night Denver's bench totally dominated the Celtics, as much with attitude as anything else. 
Yup

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I haven't been able to watch the last few games, but reading the news accounts and box scores, our bench seems unable to do  much of anything, especially on offense.  Aside from one nice game from Tony Allen the bench has really been anemic.  Doc or Danny should consider some kind of shake up if this trend continues. I know that it sounds like sour grapes after winning 8/9, but surely you have been wondering the same thing out there, Celtic fan.

We knew this before the season started that our bench was quite nearly not deep enough, but wasn´t addressed due to lack of cap space or owners not wanting to go more into the luxury tax.

Our starting team is not going to keep up this pace (8-2) for the rest of the season, but if they do there is always playoff to look at which will be just simply too much for them.  We simply MUST trade people from the bench and shake things up.  Talking about shaking things up, I cant believe we are not using O´Bryant or any of the other two rookies!  What have we got to loose in giving them minutes here and there???  If they play badly then they are just giving starters a time for a bit of a rest or keeping other bench players on their toes to add the competitiveness. 

But what I have seen so far, we are a weaker team since last year and perhaps with people happy with the one ring they got.  We do need to make a trade that includes getting rid of Scalabrine´s salaries so we could get in half decent PF/SG/PG
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
I thought we were supposed to win now? I'm not satisfied with one ring and I know none of you are. We NEED to make some moves on the bench, because we will not win again with what we have now! I hope Doc's not happy with making the playoffs and losing in the ECF/Finals or maybe choking even earlier. I love Scal but he's a waste of cap space I know somebody in the league would take him. This is his final year right? Well the big 3 will be another year older when he's finally gone and our chances to win again get even slimmer.