Author Topic: Does our bench suck?  (Read 17909 times)

Re: Does our bench suck?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
sorry about how poorly written that was.  i was too excited to post for the first time here and got sloppy!

Welcome aboard.  +1 TP.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
Benches can only be so good for so long.  You are only going to get young players (rookies, 2nd and 3rd year players) or veterans who are on the downside of their careers to comprise a team's bench. When a player does step up, like Posey, one of the Celtics' top bench players last year, then money becomes an issue. So one, a top tier player is not going to want 15-20 minutes coming off the bench and two, a bench player who shows that maybe he deserves more than 15-20 minutes is either going to want to play more or get paid more. 

Fortunately for the Celtics, they have players on the bench who are accustomed to a role of being a bench player.  They don't demand the ball and will play within a team concept because, for the most part, I think they're happy to be getting paid to play basketball.  It's a long season and the Celtics have only lost one out of their first 7 or 8 games. The success of the Celtics still falls on the starting 5 and how well the bench can keep games close while the starters rest. Things aren't that much different from last year and those that remain from last year's bench have a championship year under their belts....so not too much to worry about.

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Does our bench suck?

Yeah, but it also sucked last year. However, I feel our bench right now is better than it was at the same time last year. Our bench can score a whole lot better than last years, and is basically the same defensively. Consider me one of the guys who doesn't miss Posey all that much. With that said we definitely need a SF to cut down on Pierce's minutes.

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 12:03:02 PM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Benches can only be so good for so long.  You are only going to get young players (rookies, 2nd and 3rd year players) or veterans who are on the downside of their careers to comprise a team's bench. When a player does step up, like Posey, one of the Celtics' top bench players last year, then money becomes an issue. So one, a top tier player is not going to want 15-20 minutes coming off the bench and two, a bench player who shows that maybe he deserves more than 15-20 minutes is either going to want to play more or get paid more. 

Fortunately for the Celtics, they have players on the bench who are accustomed to a role of being a bench player.  They don't demand the ball and will play within a team concept because, for the most part, I think they're happy to be getting paid to play basketball.  It's a long season and the Celtics have only lost one out of their first 7 or 8 games. The success of the Celtics still falls on the starting 5 and how well the bench can keep games close while the starters rest. Things aren't that much different from last year and those that remain from last year's bench have a championship year under their belts....so not too much to worry about.

Good observation. TP for you.

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Does our bench suck?

Yeah, but it also sucked last year. However, I feel our bench right now is better than it was at the same time last year. Our bench can score a whole lot better than last years, and is basically the same defensively. Consider me one of the guys who doesn't miss Posey all that much. With that said we definitely need a SF to cut down on Pierce's minutes.

You dont miss Posey, yet we definetly need a SF to cut down on Pierce's minutes?
one or the other man..without Posey paul has to play the most minutes on this team, and if he doesnt we wont win

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Does our bench suck?

You dont miss Posey, yet we definetly need a SF to cut down on Pierce's minutes?
one or the other man..without Posey paul has to play the most minutes on this team, and if he doesnt we wont win

I'd liek to see what our two backup small forwards have, thats for sure. Even if it's the dreaded (by me) air intangibles, some of these games, we need to see what they provide in backup minutes.

Play walker 4-6 minutes now in some games doc, im begging you.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think that the Celtic's slow starts, and Pierce catching fire in the second half has more to do with his minutes being the way they are.

Anyways, the minutes will work themselves out... just as they did last season. We went through this for the entire last season, something that ended up being a meaningless discussion. Do we need to go through it once again?

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 12:58:12 PM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett
I agree, Walker could use some playing time. Even though I do like the wins, we can't wear the TRUTH down to early.

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I find it ironic and rather humorous that last year at this time Doc was getting killed for playing 11 deep and yet this year when he has a set 9 man rotation, people are asking for Doc to expand the rotation and put rookies and projects in. Poor guy. He'll never win amongst Celtic fans.

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I find it ironic and rather humorous that last year at this time Doc was getting killed for playing 11 deep and yet this year when he has a set 9 man rotation, people are asking for Doc to expand the rotation and put rookies and projects in. Poor guy. He'll never win amongst Celtic fans.

Couldn't have said better myself.

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett

If he keeps winning the way we are like last year, I won't see a problem w/ it. Long as he does the right job come June.

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

i like that he has a set rotation, i don't like that he has no one in it over 6'9.

I'm not killing the guy, i like doc, bt considering pierce is being forced to play 38+ a night because we have no back up SF, you don't think it would be a good idea to at least see what we have at that position?

saying something other than "doc is awesome!!!" does not constitue him "not being able to win with celtics fans"

I like the man, i can still discuss his decisions.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:18:53 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

i like that he has a set rotation, i don't like that he has no one in it over 6'9.

I'm not killing the guy, i like doc, bt considering pierce is being forced to play 38+ a night because we have no back up SF, you don't think it would be a good idea to at least see what we have at that position?
I think the coach of the team can determine quite well what he has at that position in practice. That he isn't playing Walker and Giddens and Pruitt speaks volumes for where the coaches believe those players are in being able to help this team right now. I don't need for Doc to put out inexperienced rookies and projects to prove to me that they aren't ready yet. I trust his judgment in this.

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Considering the way Pierce was handled last season. Considering how many minutes he ended up playing once the season was over. Considering how we've been playing from behind often this early in the season. Considering that Pierce has been our main hot hand in the second half of the games, I think Pierce is playing this much so far for reasons other than lacking a SF.

Though, I'm with you in thinking that it would be a good idea to see what we have at that position, but it's early in the season, there's no real need to find out what we have there currently. I think a couple good starts from our main unit will enable Doc to see what we have, until then, he might need to rely on his rotation to get us through.

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Considering the way Pierce was handled last season. Considering how many minutes he ended up playing once the season was over. Considering how we've been playing from behind often this early in the season. Considering that Pierce has been our main hot hand in the second half of the games, I think Pierce is playing this much so far for reasons other than lacking a SF.

Though, I'm with you in thinking that it would be a good idea to see what we have at that position, but it's early in the season, there's no real need to find out what we have there currently. I think a couple good starts from our main unit will enable Doc to see what we have, until then, he might need to rely on his rotation to get us through.

right, and nick, im not advocating some sort of crazy 15 minute a night stretchs for walker and pruitt against contenders, but considering we've had a few wins by double digits, your telling me that its attacking doc's judgment by not wondering why walker and pruitt couldnt get 2-5 minutes in the thunder game? or the pistons once it was clear they were waving the towel?

also, questioning something is not "attacking doc!" unless doc has earned the same status of "NON-BELIVER!!! BURRRRNNN HIMMMM!!!" that terry has earned over on son of sam horn with regards to anything other than terry's awesome, how can he become more awesome! threads.  :)

I think doc is a very good coach, and the best one this team could have. All i'm saying is it would be nice to see them for a few minutes during garbage time.