Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 21823 times)

Celtics2021, Birdman, CFAN38, Redz (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #255 on: Today at 10:35:42 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 94
I don’t think it was announced whether it was a Grade 1, 2, or 3? If it was I never saw it.

One thing that I did see was that the treatment for Grade 1 didn’t require wearing a boot or other protective support, while Grade 2 or 3 would. Porzingis has been reported to have not been wearing a boot since the incident which would imply a Grade 1, strain.

As far as tearing the muscle; the terminology could be better. The confusion is caused because the same word is being used, but the degree of injury is different. In a strain there is tearing in the microfibers that make up the muscle, but the muscle itself is not torn.

Each skeletal muscle consists of thousands of muscle fibers wrapped together by connective tissue sheaths. The individual bundles of muscle fibers in a skeletal muscle are known as fasciculi.

A torn muscle is when one or more of these bundles tears. Or it tears away from the connective tissue, like a tendon.

Using that terminology Porzingis doesn’t have a muscle tear and his injury is most likely a Grade 1 strain.

Grade I: Partial stretch or tearing of a few muscle fibers. The muscle is mildly tender and painful, but maintains its normal strength. Leg use is not limited, and walking is normal. Average time to return to sports activities is 10 - 12 days.

He returned to the court and was reported shooting baskets but not training about 10-12 days after the injury.

« Reply #256 on: Today at 11:34:20 AM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 563
I don’t think it was announced whether it was a Grade 1, 2, or 3? If it was I never saw it.

One thing that I did see was that the treatment for Grade 1 didn’t require wearing a boot or other protective support, while Grade 2 or 3 would. Porzingis has been reported to have not been wearing a boot since the incident which would imply a Grade 1, strain.

As far as tearing the muscle; the terminology could be better. The confusion is caused because the same word is being used, but the degree of injury is different. In a strain there is tearing in the microfibers that make up the muscle, but the muscle itself is not torn.

Each skeletal muscle consists of thousands of muscle fibers wrapped together by connective tissue sheaths. The individual bundles of muscle fibers in a skeletal muscle are known as fasciculi.

A torn muscle is when one or more of these bundles tears. Or it tears away from the connective tissue, like a tendon.

Using that terminology Porzingis doesn’t have a muscle tear and his injury is most likely a Grade 1 strain.

Grade I: Partial stretch or tearing of a few muscle fibers. The muscle is mildly tender and painful, but maintains its normal strength. Leg use is not limited, and walking is normal. Average time to return to sports activities is 10 - 12 days.

He returned to the court and was reported shooting baskets but not training about 10-12 days after the injury.

The bottom line is we don't know what grade the strain was. A grade 2 strain does not necessarily require walking boot, although it can.

A grade 1 strain is usually a shorter recovery timetable than Kristaps has already gone through. He had missed 16 days as of missing Game 5 and didn't seem like he was imminently about to return. The average recovery time for injuries termed a soleus strain is about 17 days. If he misses game 1 of the ECF that would be 22 days post days.

It feels to me like the tone of the injury has been somewhat optimistic both from the Celtics and Kristaps. That indicates to me that they think he'll be back at some point this season. Given where he was (light shooting, no contact) as of two weeks I think he'll likely miss the start of the ECF but be back mid series, say game 4, which would be 4 weeks post injury.

We'll find out soon either way, just really hope this isn't something that will effect a potential finals series.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:45:06 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #257 on: Today at 11:35:39 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
Thanks for all the attempts to clarify the classification of the injury.  I am going to call it a strain, maybe something more than Grade 1 but less than Grade 2.  If it was Grade 2, we would have seen a boot, if it was only Grade 1, we probably would have seen or heard about more activity already.

The injury occurred on Monday April 29.  Here is the timeline as relates to upcoming series:

ECF Game 1:     3 weeks
ECF Game 4:     4 weeks
ECF Game 7:     5 weeks (less one day)

Finals Game 1:  5.5 weeks
Finals Game 2:  6 weeks (less one day)

It does not appear that he is going to be ready for ECF Game 1.  Probably not Game 2 or 3 either, but possible I guess.  So ECF Game 4 becomes the one to circle in my mind.  If he is not ready 4 weeks post injury, I start to have doubts that he will be ready 5 weeks post.  I will go out on a limb, and defy my superstitious instincts and say that the ECF probably does not go 7 games so if he is going to play in the ECF, he has to be ready or very close to ready at the 4 week mark (game 4).  If he is not ready then, it probably pushes to the start of the finals, or to Game 7 of the ECF.

That is where I start to have concerns.  First, why did it take that long to heal?  Is this worse than we were lead to believe?  And second, how ready is he going to be for finals intensity basketball (or ECF Game 7 intensity) if he hasn't played for 5-6 weeks?  Even if he is rusty, he is still probably better than Kornet, but it still would worry me.

« Reply #258 on: Today at 11:40:27 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
If we win first 2 games without him, I wouldn’t play him rest of series unless we down 3-2
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #259 on: Today at 12:22:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
This is an important thread , I personally believe our season might ride on the recovery of KP

« Reply #260 on: Today at 12:36:50 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If we win first 2 games without him, I wouldn’t play him rest of series unless we down 3-2

I disagree.  I start playing him once the risk of re-injury is minimal.  After the start of the series, I bring him in once we’re either down (0-1) or tied (1-1).  Letting it get to 2-3 is too risky imo.  Anything can happen in one game. 

« Reply #261 on: Today at 12:47:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2425
He should play once he is ready to play.

I wouldn't rush him back. We don't need him to beat either NY or Indy in the ECF. And I wouldn't sit him out. He needs to be in game-shape and game-sharpness for the Finals.

Guys who take a lot of jump-shots tend to show more rust from time out injured than guys who do their scoring around the rim. We need Porzingis' jump-shot against Jokic or Gobert.

« Reply #262 on: Today at 01:00:51 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
We did everything we could to baby him all season long and he gets hurt in Game 1 of the playoffs....what a waste of money.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #263 on: Today at 01:02:16 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
This is an important thread , I personally believe our season might ride on the recovery of KP
I agree, need him against Denver

« Reply #264 on: Today at 01:27:52 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
He should play once he is ready to play.

I wouldn't rush him back. We don't need him to beat either NY or Indy in the ECF. And I wouldn't sit him out. He needs to be in game-shape and game-sharpness for the Finals.

Guys who take a lot of jump-shots tend to show more rust from time out injured than guys who do their scoring around the rim. We need Porzingis' jump-shot against Jokic or Gobert.

Not sure I agree that they don’t need him if we play the Knicks. They are one of the better rebounding teams in the league and he could be very helpful on the boards. Don’t necessarily think they can’t beat them without him, but it would be helpful

« Reply #265 on: Today at 01:38:18 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422

I agree. I would plan on no KP for game 1 and 2 vs Knicks/Pacers. Target a game 3 return on a minutes restriction for the series. Goal being to win the ECF in 4/5 games KP gets 2/3 games of less than 20mpg. Then hope that the WCF goes to 6/7 and allows AL a few days rest. I assume any series against the knicks will be a rock fight and in that case I really hope we see Tillman get some minutes to take some beating off of AL.

Side note if it is Knicks vs Celtics I wouldnt mind seeing a few spot Springer minutes just to be another physical body on Brunson.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #266 on: Today at 01:46:23 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
this is like the KG thing all over again lol..No update from Joe ..I aint holding my breath on KP.

« Reply #267 on: Today at 01:47:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2558

I agree. I would plan on no KP for game 1 and 2 vs Knicks/Pacers. Target a game 3 return on a minutes restriction for the series. Goal being to win the ECF in 4/5 games KP gets 2/3 games of less than 20mpg. Then hope that the WCF goes to 6/7 and allows AL a few days rest. I assume any series against the knicks will be a rock fight and in that case I really hope we see Tillman get some minutes to take some beating off of AL.

Side note if it is Knicks vs Celtics I wouldnt mind seeing a few spot Springer minutes just to be another physical body on Brunson.

Definitely would like to see some Tillman. I think Tillman gets some minutes in G1&2 - Knicks relentless on the boards and we could use some hustle-muscle with Tillman and/or Oshae.  Also Springer on Brunson sounds great. Throw him on Brunson for a few minutes.  Give him a little run in the playoffs. Could be of value in future spot minutes v. Ant, SGA, Murray. 

« Reply #268 on: Today at 02:57:41 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Surprise that we haven’t seen Q or Tillman at all since Porzingus been out