Author Topic: Wish Horford was here to see this  (Read 18598 times)

Re: Wish Horford was here to see this
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Al was a great Celtic for the record, but he is not a Celtic anymore.

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Al was a great Celtic for the record, but he is not a Celtic anymore.
TP. Completely agree.

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Al aka 'Daddy Horford,' was amazing; we thank him for everything and what he embodied what it meant to be a Celtic.

But he left to a division rival, and he's no longer with us.

I don't actually wish Horford was here to see him at that contract either, chase the money if you got to. But I hope we demolish the 76ers every time.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2019, 12:40:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I feel the same but for our dear lost Will Solomon.

/CB deeeeeep cut

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2019, 01:03:30 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
As much as I liked Horford, he made his decision. He will shake his head and mutter 'what have I done' when the Celtics progress further than Philly.

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2019, 04:42:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
As the OP I was not lamenting the loss of Horford but that this was what the Celtics should have been .From locker room to court.
Did anybody see the mansion Kemba is building in Brookline. Talk about making a statement of i'm staying here.

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2019, 07:25:15 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Kind of funny that after Horford moved to philly for greener pastures Philly is currently the #5 seed while Boston is #2

he made his choice. clearly the decision was made well before free agency. But also well before the kemba decision. if he knows Kemba is coming here, does he stay? maybe. but not at that price range philly gave him

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2019, 08:05:27 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Kind of funny that after Horford moved to philly for greener pastures Philly is currently the #5 seed while Boston is #2

he made his choice. clearly the decision was made well before free agency. But also well before the kemba decision. if he knows Kemba is coming here, does he stay? maybe. but not at that price range philly gave him

They could've done some maneuvers to make the numbers closer and along with Kemba staying, if he didnt already had agreed with the Sixers, wouldve been enough to sway him.

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I feel the same but for our dear lost Will Solomon.

/CB deeeeeep cut

Always a tp for Will Solomon.

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Sometimes in the NBA you need luck. In this case, the Celtics lucked out that Horford and Irving both left. Who would have thought at the time?

The fact that both departed opened up the cap space to sign Walker, a player who fits the offensive system and team culture much better than Irving.

Horford leaving meant the Celtics avoided paying big money to a player whose age will range between 33 and 37 over the course of his new deal. It means the team has money available to pay max or near-max money to both Brown and Tatum (25% of the cap), the max to Walker (30% of the cap), and have some money leftover to possibly extend Hayward and/or other useful players beyond this season.

The team is in a good spot both now and in the future, and I don't think that would have been the case had those two stayed.

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Sometimes in the NBA you need luck. In this case, the Celtics lucked out that Horford and Irving both left. Who would have thought at the time?

The fact that both departed opened up the cap space to sign Walker, a player who fits the offensive system and team culture much better than Irving.

Horford leaving meant the Celtics avoided paying big money to a player whose age will range between 33 and 37 over the course of his new deal. It means the team has money available to pay max or near-max money to both Brown and Tatum (25% of the cap), the max to Walker (30% of the cap), and have some money leftover to possibly extend Hayward and/or other useful players beyond this season.

The team is in a good spot both now and in the future, and I don't think that would have been the case had those two stayed.

/thread
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2019, 02:22:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I believe Al left because he lost faith In Brad...  Lost faith in Ainge and in the J's...

There was no way he could have have stayed to "see" this because "This" Wouldnt be with him here.

I think this definitely could've played a factor.

He didn't like Brad's coaching, didn't think Ainge did enough to improve the team...all possibilities.

Obviously the money was the number 1 factor, but I also think if he really wanted to stay, him and Ainge could've worked something out.

As mentioned, it sounds like Ainge had the sign and trade deals lined up to get Kemba and resign Al to an offer similar to the one he got in Philly, but he decided to leave, anyway.

Which is why I don't buy that he didn't know Kemba was coming before signing with Philly. Of course he did.

Personally, I'm not really heartbroken or bothered by his departure. Everyone is replaceable. Sure, I would've liked to see him stay, but whatever....

It does definitely sound like another factor was he wanted to be a power forward and was playing center more often than power forward here in Boston.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:28:01 PM by gpap »

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hopefully the crowd gives him his due on Thursday night.  He's deserving of it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

They could've done some maneuvers to make the numbers closer and along with Kemba staying, if he didnt already had agreed with the Sixers, wouldve been enough to sway him.
I think he was too far down the rabbit hole at that point with the 76ers. I believe he gave a verbal commitment and ultimately stuck to it. I think had he maybe waited to see what was going to happen, things may have transpired differently but for him to verbally agree so quickly, it makes me think the 76ers far surpassed his contract expectations so he agreed before they could change their minds.

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
F Horford.  He wanted Philly's money and I hope he likes the taste of it.

Exactly. No hard feelings to Al but he could've been here if he wanted to do. Boston was willing to meet Brooklyn's asking price in a Kyrie sign and trade so we could've kept him, but he didn't want to be here.
From listening him talking it sounded like he already committed to the 76s and didn’t want to go back on his word.... But He might have wanted to stay had he known Kemba is coming and Nets were willing to execute a S&T but time was running out and he had to secure his contract... it was Just timing issue and one too many contingencies during the first day of free agency

There's a moratorium. And Al broke off talks with the Celtics days before free agency even opened. Again, I'm not going to fault the guy for wanting another pay day but I'm also not going to act like he's a victim of circumstance. He won't ever admit it publicly but I don't think it's a long shot guess that he just thought Philly had a better chance at a title than we do.

Also, the idea that "if he known Kemba was coming he might've wanted to stay" is so lame to me and obviously just lip service for C's fans. Everyone and their mother knew Kemba was coming with all the tampering.
Except you're wrong.

Horford committed to the 76ers two weeks before free agency began. At that time, the Celtics were still holding on to hope that they could bring Kyrie back. They didn't aggressively pursue Walker until about a week before the free agency period began.

So, no; that idea is not "lip service"; it's what happened.