Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74866 times)

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #225 on: March 09, 2023, 07:27:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
According to The Athletic's Jared Weiss, Williams had the opportunity to cash in on a contract extension but turned it down.

"Williams' representatives and the team discussed an extension before the season that could have reached the low-$50 million range over four seasons but could not agree on the guarantee structure, league sources with knowledge of the negotiations said," Weiss stated.

Weiss further explained how Williams' overconfidence might come back to bite him, stating, "When the season began, Williams had turned down an extension offer and was flexing his newfound ability to attack closeouts with creativity. But things have gone south since, coincidentally timed with a report Williams is seeking up to $20 million annually, per Marc Stein."

I'm surprised that it reportedly came down to guarantee structure.  If Grant would agree to something like $52 million over four years, the Celts should have had no problem making the entire thing guaranteed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #226 on: March 09, 2023, 07:40:41 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
According to The Athletic's Jared Weiss, Williams had the opportunity to cash in on a contract extension but turned it down.

"Williams' representatives and the team discussed an extension before the season that could have reached the low-$50 million range over four seasons but could not agree on the guarantee structure, league sources with knowledge of the negotiations said," Weiss stated.

Weiss further explained how Williams' overconfidence might come back to bite him, stating, "When the season began, Williams had turned down an extension offer and was flexing his newfound ability to attack closeouts with creativity. But things have gone south since, coincidentally timed with a report Williams is seeking up to $20 million annually, per Marc Stein."

I'm surprised that it reportedly came down to guarantee structure.  If Grant would agree to something like $52 million over four years, the Celts should have had no problem making the entire thing guaranteed.

I'm sure they get something done. He is a restricted free agent.

« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2023, 09:23:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm sure they get something done. He is a restricted free agent.
unless his play improves significantly through the rest of the year and the playoffs, I think the C's will be offering something in the range of 10-12 mill per year for 3 years with a 4 year team option.   the drop off in his play this year, particularly the last few months, is a real factor in the C's downslide.

« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2023, 09:59:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Anybody have a subscription to the Athletic?

https://theathletic.com/4290734/2023/03/09/celtics-grant-williams-elbow-injury

No subscription, but here is the gist:

According to The Athletic's Jared Weiss, Williams has been dealing with a ligament strain in his shooting elbow since Feb. 12. The Boston Celtics forward was listed on the team's injury report with right elbow swelling ahead of their Feb. 14 matchup with the Milwaukee Bucks but played through the ailment.

"Williams had to stop lifting heavy weights for several weeks, though he returned to his normal routine before re-aggravating the injury in practice before Sunday’s double-overtime loss to the Knicks in which he played 45 minutes. According to those sources, throughout this injury, Williams has experienced discomfort turning or grabbing with his right hand."

It's unclear how much the elbow issue has impacted his recent struggles, but the numbers suggest it has been a significant factor. Williams entered Monday's overtime loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers shooting 7-for-26 from 3-point range 13-for-40 altogether since Feb. 12.

« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2023, 10:03:46 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
From the Athletic:

BOSTON — Just let it go. That’s the first thing Grant Williams remembers his coach telling him.

Assistant coach Ben Sullivan was known for turning Giannis Antetokounmpo into a plausible shooter in Milwaukee before being poached by Ime Udoka last season. His task with the Celtics was to take Williams, who had flashed potential as a shooter earlier in his career, and turn him into the ideal 3-and-D big.

It worked. Williams was instrumental in the Celtics’ NBA Finals run last season and came into the year looking like he was ready to make a leap. But it’s all come crashing down lately, with Williams once again barely making it into the rotation in Wednesday’s 115-93 win over the Blazers to snap a three-game losing streak.

But when Williams stepped in to start the fourth quarter of a blowout, he immediately launched a 3 and crisply snapped the net. He ended up taking seven shots from deep in the fourth quarter, only hitting two of them. But it didn’t matter.

After the humiliating missed free throws in Cleveland 48 hours earlier, Williams wanted to get out there and send it. Shoot with no abandon, at least within the realm of pragmatism. If he can’t earn the place he’s held down for over a season now, he’s coming out swinging, just as his coach wants him to.

“(Sullivan) said it best, ’I’d rather you take the shot and us tell you to wind it back than not take it at all,’” Williams told The Athletic after the game. “That’s the perspective that I’m going into now. If you’re open or you have the opportunity, whether it’s a little bit contested or open, you let it go and you think about everything else after.”

That’s the key for Williams: He has to stop thinking. He has more time to ruminate than ever, as he spends games watching from the bench. Williams could either get caught up in his feelings or continue to reinforce his reputation as the consummate teammate.

So even though there are times when he looks frustrated, he spent most of the first three quarters Wednesday night doing his usual teammate rituals and cracking jokes harsh enough to get Blake Griffin to throw a towel in his face as he ran off laughing. It was a fun moment on what was a somber individual night for Williams once again, but that — or the plethora of shots he put up once he got into the game — couldn’t erase the feeling he’s been carrying throughout the past month.

more....

“If I was happy right now, then you would say I didn’t care about basketball,” Williams said. “For me, you just gotta go out there and do what you’re asked. That’s the position I’m in, you’re not the top guy, you’re not the bottom guy, so you gotta focus on what you can control.”

The biggest thing Williams is trying to control is the discomfort in his right elbow. As reported by The Athletic Tuesday, he’s been dealing with a ligament injury and that has thrown off several facets of his game. But he hasn’t questioned suiting up every day since he said he first hurt it against Philadelphia in early February.

“It’s a weird injury, but you play through it because that’s what you do for the team,” said Williams. “It don’t matter if your numbers go down, it don’t matter if your minutes go down because of it, you just do whatever it takes to help the team win.”

That’s typically been defensive versatility, smart ball movement and knockdown shooting. But the last part became seemingly impossible as the soreness in his arm worsened last month and he tried to get used to shooting with a sleeve brace on. But as much as it was a pain threshold issue, it was really the delicate touch of being the same shooter every time you touch the ball.

“In the beginning, it was confidence because when you deal with something that affects your shooting, you’re hesitant to shoot,” Williams said. “But even then, sometimes when you’re identified as a shooter without believing you are a shooter your whole life, you got to get used to just letting things go and not thinking afterward. That’s the mentality I have now, that if you’re open, let it go. If it’s a shot that coach didn’t want you to shoot, he’ll tell you.”

That started to pay dividends against Cleveland Monday, as his free-throw bricks overshadowed hitting four 3-pointers in one quarter. Williams said he’s been receiving cortisone treatments to improve the elbow, which is helping his consistency come back.

“Shot’s feeling good, medicine helps, so it’s just a matter of continuing to be confident and continuing to shoot the way I am,” Williams said. “From now on, it’s a matter of letting it go, let the shot fly, and think about everything after.”

But he did go 2-for-7 from deep on Wednesday, the ideal volume without the desired execution. But with all the opportunity he’s lost in the past week, he’ll take the chance at the opportunity itself.

“For me, it’s just a matter of maintaining that perspective, that no matter if you’re making 12 shots or you’re making zero, you just gotta go out there and try to perform to the best of your ability and make an impact on winning. Nothing else besides that,” Williams said.

When talking about the state of the Celtics overall, Jaylen Brown said he and his teammates can’t get caught up in their individual stats or “get caught up in our own individual way of thinking.”

“It’s you vs. you every single night,” Brown said. “The opponent for us is there, but it’s all about us.”

There was a consistent theme to Brown’s words and several other Celtics this past week that everyone’s out of rhythm and that’s causing most of the team to look inward instead of outward for a path back to their best. It’s manifested in the style of play in crunch time.

As Williams’ dilemma scales up the depth chart, Derrick White is experiencing a similar conundrum at times. White is a glue guy like Williams, whose skillset is limited but whose impact is nuanced. So it was such a shock to see him putting up big numbers when Marcus Smart was recently injured — big enough the NBA gave him a Player of the Week award last month.

Throughout much of this season, White has arguably been Boston’s third-best player. Yet he recently found himself on the bench for crunch time, something Joe Mazzulla surprisingly called a mistake. White is used to being the odd man out on such a deep roster, but this seems like it’s his time to shine. So when White was asked how he handles those moments of losing the opportunity after possibly the best stretch of his career, he was even-keeled as always.

“I mean, I’m playing basketball, I’m blessed. So I’m just trying to have the right perspective on things, but just understand that it’s a team game,” White said. “I just try to be consistent with everything in my day-to-day. Not try to get too high if I close and make a big play, and if I don’t close, try not to get too low. Just try to stay consistent, and I’ll feel comfortable either way.”

Consistency has been the biggest reason Williams finds himself on the outside looking in. Whether it’s because of his injury, role inconsistency after Rob Williams’ season debut, trying to expand his game too rapidly ahead of a contract year, or many other potential variables, the past is not indicating the future for Grant Williams — or this team — at the moment.

They are all in a funk, but are often reminded of how good they can be. It’s just not for a full game these days. There are too many times when they cruise along like they forgot the level of perfection required to make it as far as they did the last season.

“Last year was a crazy season, but last year’s gone,” Jaylen Brown said. “This is a totally different year. We are currently second in the East and we’re fighting to get back to that number one spot. But at the end of the day, we’re just fighting to stay healthy and play good basketball.”

Williams is already hurt and he’s already out of his secure spot in the rotation. Now he can’t do much besides fight to stay healthy and play good basketball. Control what you can control.

“If you do anything else, you’re gonna drive yourself mad and crazy,” he said. “For me, it’s just a matter of keeping my head down. It’s never been when things don’t go your way, you back down and shy away and you’re like ‘F this.’ It’s always been how do I bounce back?”

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:08:47 AM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2023, 01:17:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Just saw someone posted a trade machine image online...Grant Williams to Chicago Bulls for a bag of Lays potato chips.

Shoot I'd do that trade ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2023, 02:48:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Just saw someone posted a trade machine image online...Grant Williams to Chicago Bulls for a bag of Lays potato chips.

Shoot I'd do that trade ;D

This is disrespectful until we hear the full details

What flavor chips are they?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2023, 02:05:38 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I feel like Grant Williams is in that space where his skillset guarantees that someone in the NBA will pay for him but hasn't got to the point that his is absolutely irreplaceable.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2023, 08:02:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This season has hurt his value quite a bit.   

« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2023, 08:49:14 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
This season has hurt his value quite a bit.   

Grant has produced about the same as last season for points, and FG%, is a little better on rebounding, and nearly double assists.  It seems like he has regressed but really, it is more that he has plateaued after starting the season as if he was going to take a leap.

I think he is right where he was at the start of the season, about a MLE level player.  He hasn't done much to hurt or help that.

« Reply #236 on: March 23, 2023, 08:54:07 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Grant is going to make or lose his $$$ in the playoffs.  He’s probably the best one-on-one defender we have for Giannis and Embiid, which will be extremely important.  If he can play great defense against them and hit the open corner 3’s, he’s gonna make some good $$$.  However, if he gets in his own head, tries to do too much, it could look bad for him.

« Reply #237 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:01 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Grant is going to make or lose his $$$ in the playoffs.  He’s probably the best one-on-one defender we have for Giannis and Embiid, which will be extremely important.  If he can play great defense against them and hit the open corner 3’s, he’s gonna make some good $$$.  However, if he gets in his own head, tries to do too much, it could look bad for him.

TP. Agreed, this has been my stance on it as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #238 on: March 23, 2023, 10:41:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Grant can be easily replace with cheaper vets plus got Brown contract coming up so got to watch how the Celtics spend
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2023, 10:48:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Grant can be easily replace with cheaper vets plus got Brown contract coming up so got to watch how the Celtics spend
disagree on both points.

if grant were easy to replace, we'd likely already have that player on the roster.  also, the owners saved enough money this season by letting those TPEs expire unused so that they could dodge as much tax as possible.  they have plenty to pony up for Brown and whoever else is needed in order to compete going into Brown and Tatum's futures with this team