Author Topic: Jaylen Brown Supermax  (Read 39140 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Supermax
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2023, 10:25:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Making at least two All NBA teams should be the bare minimum to qualify for the supermax. In any given year, a really good player could make an All NBA Team simply because some elite players missed games due to injuries or player management and don't meet the minimum games requirement.

The challenge with the supermax contract lies in its tendency to place an immense burden on the team that offers it, rather than providing a genuine advantage. It would be more beneficial if only 50% of the supermax contract were considered in relation to the salary cap or a similar adjustment. Such an approach would ensure a win-win situation for all parties involved.

I doubt the owners would ever allow any kind of salary that isn't reflected 1:1 in the cap. That would be a slippery slope where owners would end up spending more because some of the salary isn't being counted. Also, the big-market teams that draft well would just have more of an advantage in keeping their guys but not having to spend that much in taxes like they do now.

If you go back to just the regular max and further limit what the top stars are making, they will just go back to teaming up and leaving their original teams with not much in return, because the money's all the same to them. At least now the teams locking up the stars on supermaxes have some leverage in a trade and can get something back.

I am sure I will get "corrected" but I just find it crazy how fast NBA salaries have skyrocketed... the fact JB on a 5-yr contract will get almost what Raffy Devers gets over 10 years is just wild. Seems overboard.
I mean Bird in his entire career made less than 26 million.
Kobe’s career earnings were approx. $320m - Anthony Edwards may earn $260m in his next contract alone.

If JB signs the supermax, he’ll be earning nearly $1M per regular season game in the last season of the contract. Probably more than $1M if you only count the games he’ll play in.

« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2023, 03:18:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Making at least two All NBA teams should be the bare minimum to qualify for the supermax. In any given year, a really good player could make an All NBA Team simply because some elite players missed games due to injuries or player management and don't meet the minimum games requirement.

The challenge with the supermax contract lies in its tendency to place an immense burden on the team that offers it, rather than providing a genuine advantage. It would be more beneficial if only 50% of the supermax contract were considered in relation to the salary cap or a similar adjustment. Such an approach would ensure a win-win situation for all parties involved.

I doubt the owners would ever allow any kind of salary that isn't reflected 1:1 in the cap. That would be a slippery slope where owners would end up spending more because some of the salary isn't being counted. Also, the big-market teams that draft well would just have more of an advantage in keeping their guys but not having to spend that much in taxes like they do now.

If you go back to just the regular max and further limit what the top stars are making, they will just go back to teaming up and leaving their original teams with not much in return, because the money's all the same to them. At least now the teams locking up the stars on supermaxes have some leverage in a trade and can get something back.

I am sure I will get "corrected" but I just find it crazy how fast NBA salaries have skyrocketed... the fact JB on a 5-yr contract will get almost what Raffy Devers gets over 10 years is just wild. Seems overboard.
Kobe’s career earnings were approx. $320m - Anthony Edwards may earn $260m in his next contract alone.

If JB signs the supermax, he’ll be earning nearly $1M per regular season game in the last season of the contract. Probably more than $1M if you only count the games he’ll play in.
It would be nice...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I don't know what the team salary cost per game will be by the end of his contract but right now, the projected cost for the whole team is about $2.2M this season.  It will probably be close to double that by the end of Brown's contract.  Average tickets will probably be $300 and a craft beer will cost $30.  The issue is much broader than Jaylen Brown's contract.  How long is this sustainable?

« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2023, 06:20:28 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18

I don't know what the team salary cost per game will be by the end of his contract but right now, the projected cost for the whole team is about $2.2M this season.  It will probably be close to double that by the end of Brown's contract.  Average tickets will probably be $300 and a craft beer will cost $30.  The issue is much broader than Jaylen Brown's contract.  How long is this sustainable?

At some point it has to stop. I get the whole owners make a lot but 1 mil a game?  I think the problem is going to start becoming a factor when you have a few guys making a mil a game and the rest only making a couple mil a year. At some point it will be an issue. Actually looking forward to seeing it happen

« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2023, 07:03:45 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22

At some point it has to stop. I get the whole owners make a lot but 1 mil a game?  I think the problem is going to start becoming a factor when you have a few guys making a mil a game and the rest only making a couple mil a year. At some point it will be an issue. Actually looking forward to seeing it happen

Agree 100 percent. But outside of the NBA, I think it is just bonkers. I mean, MLB money has been crazy but not like this. And the injustice is that the NFL guys (I know it is a shorter season, but still) get paid nothing compared to these guys, and then end up with severe health issues like trouble walking, paralysis, ECT, death... unreal.

« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2023, 07:25:44 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Agree 100 percent. But outside of the NBA, I think it is just bonkers. I mean, MLB money has been crazy but not like this. And the injustice is that the NFL guys (I know it is a shorter season, but still) get paid nothing compared to these guys, and then end up with severe health issues like trouble walking, paralysis, ECT, death... unreal.

Basketball players hold a distinct salary advantage compared to their counterparts because the rosters are so small. The sport makes a ton of money, the players get half, and there are only so many ways to split it with rosters of 15.  The NFL salary cap substantially higher than any NBA team’s payroll, but with 50+ players rather than 15, NBA salaries will always seem ludicrous.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 07:32:55 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2023, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Basketball players hold a distinct salary advantage compared to their counterparts because the rosters are so small. The sport makes a ton of money, the players get half, and there are only so many ways to split it with rosters of 15.  The NFL salary cap substantially higher than any NBA team’s payroll, but with 50+ players rather than 15, NBA salaries will always seem ludicrous.

Also, even though American football is #1 in the States, the sport isn't as popular overseas. The NBA makes a lot more money than the NFL does internationally.

« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2023, 12:47:32 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

The money is almost overwhelmingly coming from tv rights not ticket sales and definitely not craft beer sales. That’s a bit silly.

« Reply #398 on: July 21, 2023, 09:32:55 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

The money is almost overwhelmingly coming from tv rights not ticket sales and definitely not craft beer sales. That’s a bit silly.

Dribble like JB with JB caft beer!  :P
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2023, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The quip about the craft beer was intended to be a bit silly, although even in Vermont, the cost of craft beer is going up.  I have had to slow down on my Heady Topper consumption.  But are you saying you don't think ticket prices are going to continue to go up?

« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2023, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Sometimes, when I watch JB highlights, I think… how much better would he be if he consistently sought out contact? He’s just usually so much more physically dominant than a lot of players out there who are assigned to defend him but he loves going for a LOT of fancy dribbles.

I get it when guys like JT, Harden, Luka, etc do it coz their games are so much more finesse-based. And JB can dribble in iso too but I think he’d be more effective just plowing through defenders.

Anyway, just a random JB thought. C’s need to go all-in on this new trio of JT-KP-JB.
- LilRip

« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2023, 11:59:47 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

The quip about the craft beer was intended to be a bit silly, although even in Vermont, the cost of craft beer is going up.  I have had to slow down on my Heady Topper consumption.  But are you saying you don't think ticket prices are going to continue to go up?

They certainly are going to continue rising, but it’s due to demand, not due to how much players are getting paid.  Every ticket I buy is from the secondary market, because there are very few seats available to single game buyers as is.  Those prices aren’t set by the Celtics, and they keep rising too.

The Celtics could drop every seat to $20, but unless you were one of the lucky people to get one of those $20 seats, you’d still be paying the same hundreds of dollars to go to the game.

« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

They certainly are going to continue rising, but it’s due to demand, not due to how much players are getting paid.  Every ticket I buy is from the secondary market, because there are very few seats available to single game buyers as is.  Those prices aren’t set by the Celtics, and they keep rising too.

The Celtics could drop every seat to $20, but unless you were one of the lucky people to get one of those $20 seats, you’d still be paying the same hundreds of dollars to go to the game.

The Garden for a Celtics game holds about 20,000.  Say the average ticket is $100 (to keep the math friendly), that is about $2M per game in ticket sales alone.  There are 41 home games in the regular season.  That is $82M for the season from ticket sales.  I don't see that revenue as inconsequential.  I am not sure how it stacks up against total revenue but Statista listed total revenue as $360M in 2021/22.

I don't disagree that demand will ultimately limit how high they can go, but I think salaries and ticket prices are related.  They kind of both affect the other.  More revenue, have to pay the players more, more salary, need more revenue.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 01:05:50 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2023, 02:49:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

The Garden for a Celtics game holds about 20,000.  Say the average ticket is $100 (to keep the math friendly), that is about $2M per game in ticket sales alone.  There are 41 home games in the regular season.  That is $82M for the season from ticket sales.  I don't see that revenue as inconsequential.  I am not sure how it stacks up against total revenue but Statista listed total revenue as $360M in 2021/22.

I don't disagree that demand will ultimately limit how high they can go, but I think salaries and ticket prices are related.  They kind of both affect the other.  More revenue, have to pay the players more, more salary, need more revenue.

I believe I remember reading that ticketing is about 20-25% of a teams revenue. In line with your numbers.
However that percentage might shrink a little with the new TV deal. The old TV deal was for 24 billion, the NBA is eyeing 75 billion in the next deal if you believe reporting.

« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2023, 04:48:17 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I believe I remember reading that ticketing is about 20-25% of a teams revenue. In line with your numbers.
However that percentage might shrink a little with the new TV deal. The old TV deal was for 24 billion, the NBA is eyeing 75 billion in the next deal if you believe reporting.

Yeah that was my point, the salaries are primarily rising from exploding tv rights deals not huge increases in ticket prices.