Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 20840 times)

Re: recommending battlestar gallactica
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm gonna watch lost but i kind of regret getting into it. i don't i like much from abrams i dunno. lost is just the same over and over for me. sawyer is like the horrible chandler character from friends. every single lime uttered is a sarcastic remark, the fat dude never loses weight(scal), kate is great to look at but i find her very unklikeable. the actress said in an interview she used to cry herself to sleep at night wishing she was'nt so good looking. funny but it hurts my enjoyment of the character a little bit.every episode there is the guaranteed moment where they slow down the same music to a dreadful crawl.then there's time travel. i don't think abrmas is gonna pull of time travel without a ton of holes. this show annoys the hell out of me. but i'll be watching anyways.too much time invested to bail now!

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

Offline Danimals

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
i watched firefly and serenity on dvd. i liked 'em. i especailly liked the offing of a couple of characters i thought were very bad on the show. i think it would have been a much better show without one particular character.

Hahaha. Yes, they most definitely should have gotten rid of that ONE character long ago! Roddenberry would have NEVER included such an irrelevant character in the first place.

And the show should not have been called Firefly - that's just weak.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
i watched firefly and serenity on dvd. i liked 'em. i especailly liked the offing of a couple of characters i thought were very bad on the show. i think it would have been a much better show without one particular character.

Hahaha. Yes, they most definitely should have gotten rid of that ONE character long ago! Roddenberry would have NEVER included such an irrelevant character in the first place.

Which character bugged you?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Which character bugged you?

what does roddenberry have to do with this? this wasen't his kind of show at all anyway, he prefered hero centric space dramas. He would not have approved of weldon casting essentialy the anti-hero's as main characters.

If gene had made it, it would be about a clear "white hat" crew going against the ally's on principle, not a moraly ambiguous crew shafting the allaince when convenant because of thier captain and robbing and murdering for money on the side.

for character, I'm going to guess wash, although i liked the comic relief he provided as the pilot.

Also, the show should have been called firefly. that was the name of the class of ship. it was a fine name.
it's problem was it was on fox, who often kills good shows for no reason.

i mean, if you know the history of the show, they doomed it from the start. Its a show that, like most shows, relies on showing its episodes in order.

Fox took a diffrent route, and started with episode 4, then went back to 2, then jumped forward to 8.

They also moved its timeslot 5 times in the first 7 weeks.

if that show had been on sci fi, it would have been wonderful and had a great run. its crime was not drawing a ton of buffy fans like fox thought it would. Its the same reason they axed futrama and family guy during the same period for not drawing like the simpsons (how'd that work out in hindsight, eh fox?)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:58:28 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »

Offline Danimals

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Carl Sagan also has very little to do with Firefly. But it is not in terms of the media, plot vehicle, or even protagonist preferences/differences that I am referring to.

If Sagan were to have indulged his ardent admirers with a story wherein the plot vehicle was even remotely similar to that used in Firefly, I am absolutely certain he would never have given prominence to such a character (the way Whedon has) - just as I am equally certain that Sagan would positively roll over in his grave if he ever saw the horrific movie adaptation of his novel, Contact.

On the other hand, while both the original and current BSG series are almost perfectly identical (in terms of plot vehicle employed), the sentiments of the writers - at least regarding a particularly fundamental theme - are entirely different. So much so that, in this regard, it can even be said that the current BSG has more in common with JJ Abrams' Lost than the original BSG.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
yeah, i did'nt like wash at all. i'm sure he's a talented actor but i did'nt find him funny. i did'nt HATE the character but i felt he took away from the show.i just did'nt find him believable really.but that's just my opinion. i thought the lead guy was excellent.i'm definitely a sci if geek but i think 95% of it is pretty bad. shows like deep space ,stargate shows,to  me look really bad and the acting as well. a movie or tv show could stink pretty bad but if it has a space and religious theme to it i'll tune in. go figure, i'm practically an atheist and i've never been to space.

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
i watched last night's lost. did anyone see the preview for next week where fonzie jumps a dharma shark and crashes on the island? aaaaaaay!!!

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Alright, let's keep this thread focused on Battlestar Galactica... no need to discuss Firefly and LOST here.

Anyways, just watched last week's episode... final Cylon revealed? Well I'm not that sure that's the case. Guess I'll have to wait and see how this plays out. I thought the episode was quite slow, though, hopefully nedt one will be more exciting. New episode tonight.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:39:16 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Helen is NOT the cylon. She's not even a central character. Who cares if Helen is a Cylon, nobody even respects her! It would be like if freakin that dude that was Roslin's assistant first (or was it second?) season was a cylon. Who cares?

...*cough* I mean I don't watch battlestar galactica. That show is for nerds!

Seriously though Helen is not the Cylon. They still haven't explained Kara's rebirth, or like, how cylons age, if there are other models of the final five, or what the heck is even going on. No way is Helen the cylon.

EDIT: If Helen is the final cylon Im bummed about it. It would be like if Robin was suddenly revealed as the mom in How I Met Your Mother or something. I mean if you're gonna HYPE a plot twist, freakin make it worth my while, dude.

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I liked the mutiny angle. A good twist that will keep this show fresh until the end.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
the baltar stuff was interesting.holding god accountable. i myself view any god(if one exists) as a deadbeat. i've never seen a religious group demanding an apology though. me thinks head six is gonna be ticked!
  i wonder too if people will demand something from the president.maybe try to take her by force. there's a lotta blood on her hands(with everyone believing it was all a myth).a lot of people died for no reason.i hope she at least has the idea to apologize. she thinks she's earned the right to live before she goes. ok, but um.. maybe 1 little "whoops, sorry about that." would be good.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Roslin really gets on my nerves. I was hoping she would trip when jogging through the ship.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Yeah, I hate Roslin myself... she should be the next one to be killed off. Geda is a complete jackass himself, he should be killed right after Roslin. I like the new storyline of the fleet being divided. It looks like Ellen was the real 5th Cylon, which begs the question... who/what is Starbuck?

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Helen is NOT the cylon. She's not even a central character. Who cares if Helen is a Cylon, nobody even respects her! It would be like if freakin that dude that was Roslin's assistant first (or was it second?) season was a cylon. Who cares?

Seriously though Helen is not the Cylon. They still haven't explained Kara's rebirth, or like, how cylons age, if there are other models of the final five, or what the heck is even going on. No way is Helen the cylon.

EDIT: If Helen is the final cylon Im bummed about it. It would be like if Robin was suddenly revealed as the mom in How I Met Your Mother or something. I mean if you're gonna HYPE a plot twist, freakin make it worth my while, dude.

Any thought to whether or not "Ellen" and "Caprica Six" are just different versions of the same model of cylon?  Just one older than the other?  They both have freakishly bright blonde hair.  They are both dirty skanks who sleep with half the fleet.  Saul just knocked up one of the younger models. 

So if Ellen/Six are the same cylon... then that would obviously mean Kara is the final cylon.  I mean...  if Kara aint a Cylon... what the heck is she? 

Btw... at this point I'm watching this show for the same reason I clean out my cat's litterbox.  I just gotta do it.  I'm committed.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:59:08 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 04:30:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Any thought to whether or not "Ellen" and "Caprica Six" are just different versions of the same model of cylon?  Just one older than the other?  They both have freakishly bright blonde hair.  They are both dirty skanks who sleep with half the fleet.  Saul just knocked up one of the younger models. 

So if Ellen/Six are the same cylon... then that would obviously mean Kara is the final cylon.  I mean...  if Kara aint a Cylon... what the heck is she? 

Btw... at this point I'm watching this show for the same reason I clean out my cat's litterbox.  I just gotta do it.  I'm committed.

me too to the bold part..not that the new season isn't good, its just not nearly as good as the movie or the first season.

I dunno, I don't think that Helen is a six, but thats a theory, and you have to give almost anything credit.

I just have so many questions about the science behind it all...right now its all a little too...mystic for me.

Like how come Saul ages? How did they plant the cylons? What the heck is goin on with Kara?

and Dee's suicide? im not impressed..come on. She was a good character.

and screw Gata. He has always gotten on my nerves.