Author Topic: C’s sign Wenyen Gabriel  (Read 10790 times)

Re: C’s sign Wenyen Gabriel
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 03:58:14 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
1. Holiday
2. White
3. PP
4. JB
5. JT
6 Al
7. KP
8. Hauser
9. Brissett
10 Stevens
11 Walsh
12 Svi
13. Gabriel
14 Kornet
15 Banton

To me this will be the opening night roster. I would like to see Banton let go and them sign Bullock.

I agree. To me, this signifies that the Cs are unlikely to play the two big lineup. We just don't have enough effective bigs to do so. I imagine players like Brissett, Stevens, and Hauser, depending on matchups, will play the backup 4. Horford and Zinger will split the big minutes, but they will likely load manage both, giving Gabriel and Kornet some minutes.

Generally, you have to have good bigs for deep playoff runs, in my opinion. I'd feel better with one more big. However, if there was a team that had long, tough, and versatile enough guards and wings to make it without a deep big bench, it would be this team.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 04:28:04 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
Gabriel isn't a starting PF/C but really? "He's not better than Kornet??" ???

The Kornet love around here is honestly a bit weird. He's okay as a 4th/5th C in regular season eating up minutes. That's literally it. Gabriel actually gave LAL legit minutes off the bench in the regular season and has way more upside and energy. Low-risk, medium reward

Who said anything about 'love'? 

Kornet is a replacement-level third string big.  So is Gabriel, in my opinion.  If Gabriel does more than that then great, but I don't expect it. 

I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take, and it's one that stats support. 

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 04:36:11 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1382
Just to clarify, this is a training camp contract, not a roster contract.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, the Boston Celtics are signing big man Wenyen Gabriel to a training camp contract. Gabriel, a Kentucky product, played his high school ball at Wilbraham & Monson Academy in Wilbraham, Massachusetts.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2023/10/1/23898511/boston-celtics-sign-wenyen-gabriel-training-camp-contract-jrue-holiday-trade-robert-williams
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Decent depth big man, like the signing.

So now we look like either of the below:

Jrue / Pritchard
White / Hauser
Brown / Stevens
Tatum / Horford / Brissett
Porzingis / Gabriel / Kornet

Or

Jrue / Pritchard
Brown / White
Tatum / Hauser / Stevens
Horford / Brissett
Porzingis / Gabriel / Kornet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, the Boston Celtics are signing big man Wenyen Gabriel to a training camp contract. Gabriel, a Kentucky product, played his high school ball at Wilbraham & Monson Academy in Wilbraham, Massachusetts.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2023/10/1/23898511/boston-celtics-sign-wenyen-gabriel-training-camp-contract-jrue-holiday-trade-robert-williams
Oh, lol. I put the cart before the horse!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2023, 07:39:22 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Dwight Howard anyone?  I don't want him in our regular rotation.  But there are to potentially valuable roles: (10 when one of our bigs gets hurt, he plays real minutes for ~10 games.  (2) He plays against Embiid.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2023, 07:43:51 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1382
Dwight Howard anyone?  I don't want him in our regular rotation.  But there are to potentially valuable roles: (10 when one of our bigs gets hurt, he plays real minutes for ~10 games.  (2) He plays against Embiid.

Assuming Gabriel makes the roster, we would have $1.3m to spend between him and Dwight before we hit the 2nd apron. Unless they get rid of Kornet's non guaranteed contract which is worth $2.4m. I strongly doubt Brad and Wyc will want to breach the 2nd apron to give Dwight an insurance role. But as a replacement for Kornet? Depends how much he's getting paid in Taiwan right now as to whether he'd be interested :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2023, 08:08:16 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Not sure why people keep bringing up Howard. He’s an awful teammate. He’s bounced from team to team the last few years and everyone of them has kicked him out the door and not brought him back. He’s not worth the headache and he’s honestly probably washed at this point.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2023, 08:15:06 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Not sure why people keep bringing up Howard. He’s an awful teammate. He’s bounced from team to team the last few years and everyone of them has kicked him out the door and not brought him back. He’s not worth the headache and he’s honestly probably washed at this point.

I agree ~ I do not want Howard in our locker room and cannot understand why anyone would.

I hope Blake decides to return.  Had a great presence, was a leader and for the most part provided what we needed when we needed him and without any drama.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2023, 08:22:54 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 990

Oh, lol. I put the cart before the horse!

Perhaps, but with only 13 players on the full roster right now, at least one training camp contract will make the team barring another acquisition.

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2023, 08:36:05 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 676
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Banton needs to go. He’s not needed and it frees up another slot.

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2023, 08:55:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I think Banton needs to go. He’s not needed and it frees up another slot.
I could see him playing a role next year. I am not wild about his game but I could see them valuing him for being a ball-handler with size. An alternative from having to play Pritchard who is small and defensively vulnerable. Banton giving them strong contrast at guard. Try to make him work as a big PG.

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2023, 10:24:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
I like it. Gabriel is a fun energy big. He plays all out every time I've seen him play.

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2023, 11:55:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Boy ….I’m just over the top with excitement

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2023, 11:55:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Boy ….I’m just over the top with excitement

Yeah, never heard of this guy.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis