Author Topic: Daniel Theis' Next Contract  (Read 9388 times)

Re: Daniel Theis' Next Contract
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1487
I have a theory that part of the reasoning for the Celtics bringing in Tristan Thompson was to have a cost controlled option for next season should Daniel Theis get a large offer in free agency that they deem too expensive. So I'm curious, what do we think Theis' next deal will look like? I think we can all agree he's played well enough to get a deal beyond the paltry $5m he makes now but he's also had knee issues. I think he gets a deal slightly above the MLE. Maybe 3 years at $36m.

Curious to get some thoughts here... What's Daniel Theis worth as an unrestricted FA?

He’s going to be 30 next year. No way I give him 3 years at $36m. Nice role player, but I don’t think he’s worth more than $10m/year.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 11:56:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Trouble is Theis is valuable.

Thompson ... Not as much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 12:52:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Theis is somewhat valuable, but he's 29 in a month and prone to injury. I also feel like he's another one of those guys who look better under Stevens, drive up their value, and then decline or never improve. Evan Turner, Olynyk, Jae Crowder, Amir Johnson, etc. Feel like Theis would be more like them than like Rozier
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:51 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
By all accounts, he’s the consummate professional and great teammate. He’s a really solid player. I think he deserves a multi-year deal at ~$10M annually. Probably 3 years as I think he’d get a larger 2 year deal (in the $24M range) annually.

You see some of the trash contracts getting handed out and this guy should be rewarded.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 01:54:02 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1027
I will not forget the two nights that Theis had some monster night performances against the Bulls and the Wolves.

I just wish he didn't get hurt in the 17-18 campaign. If he was playing in Game 7 against the Cavs, they would have surely won that series.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 03:03:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1415
By all accounts, he’s the consummate professional and great teammate. He’s a really solid player. I think he deserves a multi-year deal at ~$10M annually. Probably 3 years as I think he’d get a larger 2 year deal (in the $24M range) annually.

You see some of the trash contracts getting handed out and this guy should be rewarded.

He's fundamentally sound. You can hear (see) him organizing the defense and telling some of the newer players where to go in the defensive scheme.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 06:12:49 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Sounds like consensus is multi year contract at full MLE or a tiny bit more offered by us.
Who could offer more?
I think Spurs - if they don’t resign Derozan. I think they let Aldridge go and resign Gay and mills to reasonable deals their next target would be a big man either Collins ( can’t see them maxing him) and probably theis - 3 years $45 mill
Then there are the predictable unpredictable Hornets who need a big man too. They can offer him a rich deal - 4 years $55mill.
Danny should have not picked his option but resign him to a three year deal this offseason after Hayward bailed

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Some silly GM is gonna throw him a 60 million for three years fully guaranteed deal a la Luol Deng, or Timofey Mosgov.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Theis is somewhat valuable, but he's 29 in a month and prone to injury. I also feel like he's another one of those guys who look better under Stevens, drive up their value, and then decline or never improve. Evan Turner, Olynyk, Jae Crowder, Amir Johnson, etc. Feel like Theis would be more like them than like Rozier
I wouldn't agree with "prone to injury". 

Year one, played 63 of 67 games before tearing a meniscus and missing from March on.  Year two, played 66 of 82 games, missed 6 early with a plantar fascia tear, but came back ahead of schedule.  Year three,  played 65 games of 72, looks to be for normal rest days.  Year four (current) he's played 33 of 35.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3058
  • On To Banner 18!
I would love to give him something like 2/20M, or 3/30M.

I do think if he keeps it up though, his stock could rise and a team could give him north of 12M AAV.

There is the possibility of a S&T though this offseason which could include Theis, if the C's make a trade and needs to send money out for whatever reasons. We do have his Bird Rights, correct?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I have a theory that part of the reasoning for the Celtics bringing in Tristan Thompson was to have a cost controlled option for next season should Daniel Theis get a large offer in free agency that they deem too expensive. So I'm curious, what do we think Theis' next deal will look like? I think we can all agree he's played well enough to get a deal beyond the paltry $5m he makes now but he's also had knee issues. I think he gets a deal slightly above the MLE. Maybe 3 years at $36m.

Curious to get some thoughts here... What's Daniel Theis worth as an unrestricted FA?

He’s going to be 30 next year. No way I give him 3 years at $36m. Nice role player, but I don’t think he’s worth more than $10m/year.

If there's any lesson we should've learned so far this season, it's that quality role players are necessary. I wouldn't mind spending a little "extra" to keep him. The issue is moving off of Tristan's salary.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If there's any lesson we should've learned so far this season, it's that quality role players are necessary. I wouldn't mind spending a little "extra" to keep him. The issue is moving off of Tristan's salary.

Imo you are selling TT short

TT has another gear for the playoffs

Celts have a packed salary situation next season even without Theis contract matter. Timelord will need an extension soon after

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some silly GM is gonna throw him a 60 million for three years fully guaranteed deal a la Luol Deng, or Timofey Mosgov.

Naw. Come on now

Look at his stats.

No team is that crazy

I say 12 m per year would be max to outbid

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the Celtics should sign him at or just above the MLE for two to three years. 

And trade Thompson.   

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 10:37:52 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
He should be paid what you’d pay a 6th/7th type man. No more than 5-8 million per year and he shouldn’t be a starter anymore or else we messed up in the off-season.