Author Topic: what do you think of D’Angelo Russell for the C’s (If Kyrie leaves)  (Read 1152 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Obviously there would be no need or want for Russell if Kyrie resigns with the C’s, but given recent dysfunction, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Kyrie wants to pull a LeBron and take his talents elsewhere. If it comes to that (which I hope it does not), the free agency pool of point guards isn’t looking too great - unless you want to pay 30 year old Kemba Walker the max. And from what I gather, not a lot of folks here want Rozier back, ecspecially as the starting PG.

I’ve liked Russell since he came in to the league, and he seems to improve every year. It’s not unfathomable to think he could reach an all star level someday. He’s restricted this summer so the Celts would have to bid on him, but he’d be a hell of a lot cheaper than Irving, I would think.

Re: what do you think of D’Angelo Russell for the C’s (If Kyrie leaves)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Russell has impressed me, but I don't think he's leaving the Nets. He's pretty much in the best situation possible as the best player, not to mention Marks is very high on him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think he is a talented shooter and good balhandler. He also has some vision. I see him more as a 2 guard than a lead guard. His biggest shortcomings come at the defensive end and in lack explosiveness. Also his right hand is weak giving him more trouble at attacking the rim and finishing with the aforementioned lack of great burst and jumping ability. Defensively he leaves a lot to be desired, the primary reason why he doesn't finish games for Brooklyn.

I feel like he is the guy that will find his home eventually and in a few years we will see him as a 6th man of the year candidate. Bit underwhelming for a former 2nd pick in the draft, but still a good player that will be in this league for at least 10 years.

I don't see him as a solution for us in any way.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Chances are that if Kyrie leaves, Rozier stays.

Rozier's value was at its peak last year on draft night, yet Danny decided to keep him. It's only logical to assume that he views Rozier as insurance in case Kyrie bolts the C's next summer.

Personally speaking, I'd trade Rozier. But that's just me. In any case, I believe there is zero chance we 'll keep all 3 of Kyrie, Smart and Rozier going forward. The luxury tax would explode through the roof.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:16:02 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Kyrie leaves, the team's screwed anyhow.

Let Rozier, Morris, Baynes go as well.  Let Horford sign with a contender. 

Probably got to keep Hayward due to his contract.  Maybe hope he flourishes a bit more in a lead playmaker role two years out from his injury and then trade him to a team with cap space.

Dark days if Kyrie leaves, in other words.  Dark days.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Probably got to keep Hayward due to his contract.  Maybe hope he flourishes a bit more in a lead playmaker role two years out from his injury and then trade him to a team with cap space.

You mean like what happened last season, when we were 1 game away from the Finals without Kyrie (+ Hayward)?

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You mean like what happened last season, when we were 1 game away from the Finals without Kyrie (+ Hayward)?

Horford playing at an elite level carrying a large load on both ends (even if he wasn't scoring a ton) made that run possible.

I don't anticipate that Horford will be up to that task in 2020 and beyond when he's basically 34+ years old.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not a fan of acquiring the person that seems to come from nowhere each game to play like an all-star against us.  Russell being the latest example.