Author Topic: Rozier - Smith Jr  (Read 3935 times)

Rozier - Smith Jr
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Terry for dennis smith jr

Straight up, who says no?

Celtics gain cost controlled player who needs to improve but has the tools of a super sub 6th man.

Dallas gets the better player who will fit great with doncic but is due a contract.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:18:14 PM by Silky »

Re: Rozier - Smith Jr
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rozier > Smith Jr

More athletic. Better defender. Better rebounder. Can create his own shot more consistently. Better outside shooter. Comparable scoring efficiency. Smith Jr the better floor general and passer but fairly mediocre himself (Rozier worse than mediocre, deficient).

I can see the value in the trade in terms of cap controlled contracts but Boston would be losing out talent wise.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rozier > Smith Jr

More athletic. Better defender. Better rebounder. Can create his own shot more consistently. Better outside shooter. Comparable scoring efficiency. Smith Jr the better floor general and passer but fairly mediocre himself (Rozier worse than mediocre, deficient).

I can see the value in the trade in terms of cap controlled contracts but Boston would be losing out talent wise.
agreed.  Dallas would jump all over this even with Rozier needing to be resigned after this season

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:56:48 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would do this deal, while I agree Rozier may be the overall better player but sometimes I feel this team has too much talent (where everyone is out trying to prove themselves and stuff their stat sheet). Just the eye test, I usually see Rozier even on his off days, trying to score neglecting to pass and when he does pass it's either results in a bad one or a turnover. I think having Smith Jr can benefit other players on the bench with him ie Brown or Hayward and we have some control over his contract.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
personally, I think Terry has caused issues on the team character wise.

Also, Terry may be the better player TODAY, but terry is a 4th year player who is 3 years older.

It boils down to contract status (Smith is cost controlled longer which can be used in a further deal or keep for depth) and potential, which IMO Smith has alot more of than Terry.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I don't think Dallas do it.

Cost control is everything these days. Rozier is getting paid next year.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I don't think Dallas do it.

Cost control is everything these days. Rozier is getting paid next year.
Dallas would do it if Rozier signs with them for next few seasons..he is better than Smith
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I also don't think Dallas does the trade. I also have to wonder if Smith wouldn't bring similar chemistry issues that we have seen already this year with Rozier, Brown and Tatum. He has been used in a starting, high usage role for his career in Dallas. Now, the Celtics would be asking him to come in and take on a much more limited roles. As shown with the young Celtics, it's not easy at such a young age to adjust to that.

But I like the trade.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
I also don't think Dallas does the trade. I also have to wonder if Smith wouldn't bring similar chemistry issues that we have seen already this year with Rozier, Brown and Tatum. He has been used in a starting, high usage role for his career in Dallas. Now, the Celtics would be asking him to come in and take on a much more limited roles. As shown with the young Celtics, it's not easy at such a young age to adjust to that.

But I like the trade.

I think you have to sell the idea of a 6th man of the year role.

Come in and get it. Smith has better tools than Terry to play that role IMO and should excel at it. Where terry is better with minutes starting and letting game come to him.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:29:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But I like the trade.

I think you have to sell the idea of a 6th man of the year role.

Come in and get it. Smith has better tools than Terry to play that role IMO and should excel at it. Where terry is better with minutes starting and letting game come to him.
Kinda hard to sell him on 6th manof the year role when he would be playing with Brown and Hayward off the bench or, if they are given their starting positions back, Smart and Morris. Kid isn't stupid. He's gonna see that no matter what, this year and for the foreseeable future, he won't be a sixth man.

I like the trade. I don't think Dallas would ever do it but you have to worry about how a high lottery pick is going to adjust to a much limited role.

Also, if an AD trade doesn't happen, there is a good chance Rozier is allowed to walk and Ainge replaces him with a lottery pick. A player who will learn his role and won't have starting expectations from day one. And a player on a longer cost controlled contract than Smith.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd probably do this deal in a vacuum (not considering other potential deals).

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Straight up, who says no?
please put in the thread title that this is a trade idea. that helps us all see what you are saying better.

next, please provide some rationale, information, outcomes, benefits for trade. why should each side do this? what do they gain. doing this helps us all discuss the trade.

Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
yes, on rookie contract for two more years

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I’d do this deal in a heartbeat, but I don’t think Dallas would.

I’m admittedly very down on Rozier right now though, even while acknowledging his performance in the last two games.  He’s a chucker on offense and a gambler on defense.  If I can swap a half-season of that for two extra cost-controlled years of a player with Smith’s athletic ability and upside, then I do it without hesitation.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
if Dallas would do it I would drive terry there