Author Topic: Trading Ray in his last year-should it be done?  (Read 37624 times)

Re: Trading Ray in his last year-should it be done?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 09:14:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I hope Danny trades him this summer. His stock is high and the C's need to get younger. If I were Danny I'd be calling Donnie Walsh. He is likely to blow up the Knicks and good players could be had for a pro's pro like Ray.

My trade proposal:

Ray
Perk
Scalabrine

for

Curry
Crawford
Jerome James

I think Curry is an upgrade over Perk (not defensively, but overall), Crawford is close to Ray plus can handle backup pg (and younger) , and James gives us a backup center. :-\
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
I hope Danny trades him this summer. His stock is high and the C's need to get younger. If I were Danny I'd be calling Donnie Walsh. He is likely to blow up the Knicks and good players could be had for a pro's pro like Ray.

My trade proposal:

Ray
Perk
Scalabrine

for

Curry
Crawford
Jerome James

I think Curry is an upgrade over Perk (not defensively, but overall), Crawford is close to Ray plus can handle backup pg (and younger) , and James gives us a backup center. :-\

Chief? Wow. That's kind of throwing the whole Ubuntu thing out the window.  Crawford can score, but I can't stand Curry, and James is a big bum.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I can not believe that on the day of the parade someone would be legitimately discussing this.

Sure you can give me all the "reasons" why to discuss this, but I will not and can not accept a single arguement for even mentioning trading Ray after what he did against the Lakers, especially considering that for 1/3 of those games he was also dealing with a hosptialized child.

Heart transplant anyone?
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Picture worth - 1,000 words

Post that says it all worth - 1 TP
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
No trading Ray, please.  I can't think of any trade that makes us more likely to win a championship next season, so I'd rather hold on to him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
wouldn't trade him, not after this year. My guess is they can figure out something with his contract, but to send him packing after this? It'd have to be a very sweet deal...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It's finally been accomplished:

The Ray-to-the-Knicks deal is worse than even bringing Gerald Green back.

I didn't think any idea could be more ill-founded than bringing Green back. But that one is.

:P
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
When I was a kid, my dad use to blast the Celtics for keeping McHale and Parish too long. He'd tell me that if they keep them until they past their prime, their trade value will be nothing. Being a kid, I thought he was stupid because I was being loyal.

Having said that and suffering for nearly 22 years, I say trade Pierce and Allen (in a year or two) and keep a winning team for years to come. :)

This was my original post about a month ago. And although I admire Pierce, a lot more now then when I posted it, I say trade them. Ray this summer and Paul in about 2 years. The NBA is a business and players get traded. It sometimes hurts as fans, but so does following a losing team for almost 2 decades.

Let's just pretend that Cleveland beat the C's this year. Ray Allen's trade value would be zilch. My big fear is that at Ray's age, he could start declining fast. Next year, he could look like the Cleveland series Ray more and more. At that point Danny would be lucky to get Stephon Marbury for him.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
This "team" has now, only now truely bonded in spirit having overcome a mountain together. Do Not underestimate this, this chemistry of success!

They have now, only now jelled and will play more games together like the game sevens and latter game sixes of this playoff and Finals !

Maybe, get back to me in 2 years, on entertaining this hypothetical, IMO

Back to your previously scheduled B.S. session ;)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
When I was a kid, my dad use to blast the Celtics for keeping McHale and Parish too long. He'd tell me that if they keep them until they past their prime, their trade value will be nothing. Being a kid, I thought he was stupid because I was being loyal.

Having said that and suffering for nearly 22 years, I say trade Pierce and Allen (in a year or two) and keep a winning team for years to come. :)

This was my original post about a month ago. And although I admire Pierce, a lot more now then when I posted it, I say trade them. Ray this summer and Paul in about 2 years. The NBA is a business and players get traded. It sometimes hurts as fans, but so does following a losing team for almost 2 decades.

Let's just pretend that Cleveland beat the C's this year. Ray Allen's trade value would be zilch. My big fear is that at Ray's age, he could start declining fast. Next year, he could look like the Cleveland series Ray more and more. At that point Danny would be lucky to get Stephon Marbury for him.

OK, I get the point but to break this team up so soon, I'd need to see something better in return.  I know Ray & KG came with the "can't win" tag before this season, but they brought a little bit more in the success category to the table than any of the Knickerbockers you proposed.
Yup

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223

My trade proposal:

Ray
Perk
Scalabrine

for

Curry
Crawford
Jerome James

We give up two starters, two Champions, for 3 bums?

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Chief

Curry will never be walking through that door.  And Pierce is certainly retiring a Celtic.  Sorry your dad led you astray.  
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like sentimentality.  I want to keep our guys, especially heading into next season.

Let's win the next two, and then if it's another 22 years between titles, I can deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
How about KG for Marbury? We need a backup point guard right?