Author Topic: CAVSMAGEDDON!!  (Read 51101 times)

Re: CAVSMAGEDDON!!
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't see how ball and IT can coexist.  Lose, Lakers, lose!

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It's rather startling when you compare the Cavs roster that made the Finals last year -- and got shelled -- to their roster now.

I assume you are saying that last year's Cavs roster was better right?
Lebron, Kyrie, Love >>> Lebron, Love + all the new traded guys.

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Jeff having-a-good-season Green is still in Cleveland.

They definitely improved and will be tough out.  Healthy love required...

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cavs on paper are a lot better, but on paper and in practice are two very different things.  I do think there is a lot of addition by subtraction for the Cavs.

I think this is a pretty solid overall team for Cleveland

PG - Hill, Clarkson, Calderon
SG - Hood, Smith
SF - James, Korver, Osman
PF - Love, Nance, Green
C - Thompson, Zizic

Plus they have 2 open roster spots for the buy out market and they kept the BKN pick.

The word here in Cleveland is Wade is going to retire and wanted to do so on the Heat.  The general thought is Wade will play 1 game in Miami for the fans and then call it quits (though he may end up playing out the season).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Don't see how these moves get Cleveland closer to a title of any kind

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Jeff having-a-good-season Green is still in Cleveland.

They definitely improved and will be tough out.  Healthy love required...

I wouldn't mind the 2018 Jeff Green as a back up for the C's.  He has played pretty well for Cleveland and playing within himself while quietly putting up 10 points a game.  That is something we could use on our bench.  I mean if the Cavs are blowing up the roster might as well get rid of Green

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It's rather startling when you compare the Cavs roster that made the Finals last year -- and got shelled -- to their roster now.

Yes. Who is an above average starter on this team besides Lebron and Love? I would say Hill is definitely not above average starting point guard (it is very easy to name 15 points guards better than him). Thompson, especially now, is a below average starting center. Jr Smith, or Hood, is at best an average starting 2g. Then what scares you off the bench smith/hood? Nance is definitely good bench player, but beyond that.. nothing that scares you.

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
PG: George Hill, Jordan Clarkson
SG: Rodney Hood, JR Smith
SF: LeBron James,
PF: Kevin Love, Larry Nance
 C: Tristan Thompson,

Deep bench: Richard Jefferson, Kyle Korver, Ante Zizic, Jose Calderon

That is a good 8 man rotation. A three man bench with a lead guard, a wing and a big man. Some spot minutes available for the other guys.

That can work. That can put Cleveland back in the mix with the Celtics and Raptors.
Love is out until March, and Rodney Hood is someone who does nothing but score. He was good for 12 points off the bench while Utah still had Hayward, how you think he's going to work next to LeBron? Oh, and he just missed close to half a month with a knee injury.

I like it for Cleveland because they replaced role players who could not play the roles asked of them with players who can (except for Clarkson). I like George Hill as a setup guard and off the ball shooter. I like Hood as an able defender and sometimes scorer who can both shoot and put the ball on the floor and drive. He is a decent passer too. I like Larry Nance as an athletic hustle big man who will give the team energy, defense & rebounding. Not wild about Clarkson but he will be valuable when LeBron is not on the floor. Someone who can create offense for himself.

I do not think Cleveland needed a 20-25ppg scorer so much as they needed a supporting cast who can actually help the team instead of hurt it -- which is what their supporting cast has been doing all season = hurt them. Make the team worse.

It is not a title winning team but then again neither is Toronto or Boston without Hayward. Cleveland still has LeBron James and with a new solid supporting cast the Cavs should be back in the mix come playoff time with the Raps and Celtics to win the East.

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Never seen a team totally rebuilt with just 2 months until the playoffs and be successful.

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2018, 01:44:50 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
This to me screams surrender on the season for the Cavs. With Love out another 6 weeks and an entirely new rotation, they will not get it together in time for this season.

Perhaps moving forward it improves their chances of a youth movement?

If I were them, I would strongly consider completing the swing and blowing it completely up.

Lebron for Klay Thompson/Andre Iguodola

Rebuild with a team of:

George Hill/Jordan Clarkson
Rodney Hood/Andre Iguodola
Klay Thompson
Kevin Love/Larry Nance
Tristan Thompson

Hope the Brooklyn pick lands them a top 5 pick and go youth.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No idea who's pushing the buttons there, but they've largely done well both short- and long-term.  Did not see anything remotely close to this overhaulageddon coming.

The Lakers trade is definitely a bad trade. They took on long term contract (nobody wanted Clarkson all season) and gave up a first round pick. They also opened up the chance for the Lakers to get their best player this offseason (George and Lebron now possible there). That is pretty objectively awful all for Nance (they could have just bought out IT). Cavs fans were livid with that trade.

The Hood, Hill trade is definitely a good trade.

I haven't been as high on Wade as most, but given he is Lebron's best friend and could provide some bench scoring in playoffs, that seems bad for a second round pick to dump.

Eh.  I think Clarkson is overrated, and yeah, they took on long-term salary.  But, they were stuck b/w a rock and a hard place -- one last title run with LBJ, and then an immediate rebuild.  I think they largely did well to address both, difficult as that is.  The market was probably horrible for IT, Clarkson can score, Nance is a nice piece, and the latter will help with the rebuild + the BKN pick.  And aside from Big Mo and I, Cavs fans are idiots.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

No more startling than ours though. We've just had more time to get used to it.  The Cavs did a mini-blowup before the big one, though, and we just skipped straight to full reconstruction.

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Never seen a team totally rebuilt with just 2 months until the playoffs and be successful.

This.  Add in Love (their 2nd best player) being out for who knows how long, I don't see how this ends with the Cavs as the #1 seed in the east, or them making the NBA finals.

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think they potentially got better than they’ve been playing, if only for the lack of chemistry/enthusiasm the team had playing with each other.

However, their ceiling was lowered because (a big) if IT came anywhere close to what he was the last few seasons here, they have another go to scorer. Now, they have LeBron with Love and a whole bunch of role players.

Sounds a lot like the old Cavs pre-LeBron-Exodus-I.

LeBron and guys like Mo Williams, Daniel Gibson, Anderson Varejao, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Delonte West, etc. that are good support for LeBron but not guys who can take over.

Oh, and Lue is terrible and if given a decade wouldn’t be able to make this team gel quickly enough.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2018, 01:49:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

No more startling than ours though. We've just had more time to get used to it.  The Cavs did a mini-blowup before the big one, though, and we just skipped straight to full reconstruction.

Well...we have Brad Stevens to figure that all out, Cavs have Tyrone Lue.