Author Topic: Pickup basketball: would you be annoyed?  (Read 8240 times)

Pickup basketball: would you be annoyed?
« on: August 13, 2016, 02:56:57 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Curious to get everyone's take on this. We're all obviously big basketball fans, and I assume a lot of us have played a lot of pickup basketball in the past and/or present. So recently, I was playing in a game with some friends that rarely play, none of them played organized basketball in school (not that this is a big deal - just giving some background info), and they're all mediocre players at best. I'm no Paul Pierce myself, but compared to the people in this game, I was the best player.

Anyway, our team was on offense, and I was posting up on the left block. As one of my teammates was about to throw the entry pass to me, I saw one of my other teammates cut toward the basket out of the corner of my eye. I immediately had flashbacks to when Larry Bird would make those incredible touch passes - some of them without even looking - and decided to do it myself here. I didn't think any defenders were under the basket, but I wasn't 100% sure. But whatever, it's a pickup game and the reward far outweighed the risk. So the pass gets to me, and without turning my head at all, I tap the ball with my right hand over my shoulder right to my teammate for an open layup. I was super psyched that it actually worked, but no one on my team even acknowledged it. If the tables had been turned, I would've made a huge deal about how great of a pass that was if one of my teammates had made it, especially if I'd been the recipient of the pass.

Would that annoy you guys that no one even acknowledged it? I took it as further confirmation that they just don't know the game and/or maybe didn't see exactly what I did.

Re: Pickup basketball: would you be annoyed?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:12:51 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would say Larry Bird has never scored, because he was the fastest or the strongest, but the smartest.

Sure it would kind of miff me, but eh, whatever move on and make even more fancier passes lol.

Do your friends watch the NBA? I once had a behind the back pass to a player from half court, and nobody really seemed to acknowledge or understand it.

Oh well.

I feel your pain OP.

;D
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:26:45 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

You guys are just two basketball savants, way ahead if your time.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 04:52:23 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. If they didn't play ball in school, then more than likely they didn't realize how difficult a play like that really was.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 07:31:11 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Sounds like either it's either a lame-ass game or they don't like you (sorry). Most games I play in, folks basically celebrate every productive play unless it was performed by That Guy.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
It might be just because it was a pass and not a (made) shot. When I play with some buddies, at the end of any play where anyone does something exceptional (4 consecutive rebounds and a put back, a block, a crisp clean layup, a made 3) nearly everyone on both teams acknowledges it by saying something and highfiving or something. This tradition usually doesn't extend to passing for some reason. I couldn't tell you why... everyone who's playing knows a good pass when they see one.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; get out there and play your game.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Id say they don't know the game well enough to appreciate it. The important thing is that you enjoyed it, and that you get to practice such moves on these guys. Playing with someone like you though , if they play with you enough, sooner or later they will pick up some of these subtleties.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Scoring the assist and bucket ought to be enough and of course winning.  Goos players make good plays all the time and do not expect a pat on the back.   Here, I grant thee a participation award!

Your going to have a sad life, my friend,  if you constantly seek gratification and approval through others.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This when A) you acknowledge it and B) you can talk some trash and have some fun.

People often don't care about passing at all in pick up games is the truth of it, which is a shame.  I don't even care about the calling out of nice passes as much as well people wanting to pass much at all to begin with in a lot of games I play in.

But I do feel Celtics4ever above... act like you been there!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:19:50 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do you play ball for the adoration and recognition of others?

Did you congratulate your teammate for making a smart cut and getting open for a layup? Or for catching a pass he couldn't have been expecting?

I think you might be reading too much into this. It's a casual pickup game.  It sounds like a heck of a play, so let that be reward enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Scoring the assist and bucket ought to be enough and of course winning.  Goos players make good plays all the time and do not expect a pat on the back.   Here, I grant thee a participation award!

Your going to have a sad life, my friend,  if you constantly seek gratification and approval through others.

::)

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
When I would play pick up the goal was to win. It shouldn't matter to you if anyone acknowledged your play during the game as long as it lead to a w.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I would be furious and insulted.  The only way to show your disdain is by Andrew Bynuming the next game by not only refusing to pass but shooting every time you touch the ball anywhere on the court.  Take videos.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If you do enough highlight plays the people that play around ya get use to it so they don't even tell ya great job. All they do is make sure their on your team lol

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Never had this happen. My teammates would be hyped up if one of us boxed out for a rebound. You need new friends.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6