Author Topic: For those that question the excitement of soccer, think about this  (Read 10306 times)

Re: For those that question the excitement of soccer, think about this
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In playoff soccer every game is a game 7. Think about that.
The typical scheme for soccer playoffs is tow games with alternating home court. So not really I guess.

actually the typical scheme is one game and you are done, there has been some diversion from this for league play but in what they call ‘knock-out’ competition it is one game.
Perhaps in MLS playoffs, but it's certainly different in European knockout competitions (with the English FA Cup being the one notable exception).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
To start I am biased having 2 daughters who played D-1 soccer (they were also strong high school point guards).   I think of soccer as basketball type movement.  Passing, cutting, breaking, ball movement, reading each other and speed, defending..... but success is significantly more difficult because it is so much more difficult to do these things with your feet in such a large space and with a man whose job it is to goal tend.  But with that difficulty and frequent failure ones determination and confidence are so much a part of success.

To enjoy the game you need to appreciate the athletic difficulty of catching or passing the ball with your feet at a full sprint, the quickness and clean play of the ball can be as beautiful as a basketball shot, play, pass.

Conditioning is also another aspect that keeps me involved.  A soccer pitch is 25 yards wider and I think 20 yards longer than a football field.  Playing a game of soccer with limited subs is work, conditioning, coordination and possibly more determination than any other sport.

Relegation and promotion in many leagues is also an intriguing notion.  Imagine if the bottom 2 MLB, NBA or NFL teams every year were sent to the minors and let's say a G League team from Portland Maine could buy players and play it's way into the NBA.

In fairness poor soccer requires that you have some form of investment--a relative playing or a connection of some sort.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Conditioning is also another aspect that keeps me involved.  A soccer pitch is 25 yards wider and I think 20 yards longer than a football field. Playing a game of soccer with limited subs is work, conditioning, coordination and possibly more determination than any other sport.
You also get to play every snap on both sides of the ball, there are no timeouts, and once they sub you out, you're out. People should try running up and down a soccer pitch for 90 minutes straight at least once in their life before they pass judgement ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The typical scheme for soccer playoffs is tow games with alternating home court. So not really I guess.

actually the typical scheme is one game and you are done, there has been some diversion from this for league play but in what they call ‘knock-out’ competition it is one game.
Perhaps in MLS playoffs, but it's certainly different in European knockout competitions (with the English FA Cup being the one notable exception).

The two leg knockout in international competition is more of a function of the international nature of the match. Most national knockout games are one match.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If you don't happen to be a front-runner and support a mid to lower level team- every match is like a playoff. I'll give an example.  Say you're a Bournemouth supporter.  First objective each season is not get relegated down the the 2nd division. Your goal is 40 points so you look at games you should win, games you have a chance and games you have little to no chance (away at one of the Big 6 clubs).

It gets nerve wracking because if you get relegated, you lose a ton of revenue and you've got to start selling your good players left and right to survive financially - and still try to make it back to the Premier League.

So all matches matter until you've been assured 'safety' which happens late in the season.  But say they get off to a good start and are mid table by December.  Then you start thinking about a top 7 finish which gets you into the Europa Cup (Euro version of NIT) or better yet, the Champions League (the real big dance).

Then factor in that elation or catastrophe/depression can come at a moment's notice is what really makes the sport intriguing.  Ratchet that up if you're in a tournament such as the the two I've mentioned or an international tournament such as the World Cup.

If your only exposure to the sport is MLS which doesn't have promotion/relegation its not quite the same.  I would suggest that regular season Euro league games have as much or more meaning than MLS playoff games.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:18:13 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The two leg knockout in international competition is more of a function of the international nature of the match. Most national knockout games are one match.
That's simply not true. Except for the final game, most national knock-out competitions (i.e. "domestic cups") in Europe have traditionally consisted of two legs. Cutting down some of the early rounds to one game is a relatively new development designed to cram more teams into the competition.

But the statement that "every playoff game is like a game seven" in soccer is unequivocally false. Not only are the most important rounds often two legged, but some of the competitions (e.g. the FA Cup) will schedule replays for ties in the early rounds.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Similarly in football (soccer..), there is beauty in the rapid counter attacks, the fingertip saves, sublime passing, one twos around defenders. The fact that not every attack ends in a score is a good thing. A goal is such a big moment because it is rare. If the score ended 23-22 the fans would just be screaming for their defence to get a grip!
Much like everything else, this is an acquired taste. Unless you know what to look for, soccer will just be simple kicking of the ball around.

You can talk to any European about pulling the baseball, batting for average, sacrifice flies, and opposite field home runs -- but I guarantee you that all they see is a dude hacking at a ball and hoping that it falls on the ground or clears the fence.
As a Brit with no clue about baseball I must say... Touché sir touché.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Similarly in football (soccer..), there is beauty in the rapid counter attacks, the fingertip saves, sublime passing, one twos around defenders. The fact that not every attack ends in a score is a good thing. A goal is such a big moment because it is rare. If the score ended 23-22 the fans would just be screaming for their defence to get a grip!
Much like everything else, this is an acquired taste. Unless you know what to look for, soccer will just be simple kicking of the ball around.

You can talk to any European about pulling the baseball, batting for average, sacrifice flies, and opposite field home runs -- but I guarantee you that all they see is a dude hacking at a ball and hoping that it falls on the ground or clears the fence.
As a Brit with no clue about baseball I must say... Touché sir touché.

I know I will get scolded but baseball is a sport with little exercise, you actually get out of shape playing baseball.  It was invented for a hot summer evenings pastime.  Think about playing baseball -  in 3 hours, other than the pitcher and catcher, you get 3-4 at bats and 3-4 balls hit to you.  The rest of the time you react and move into position but not much is strenuous exercise?

I am not saying it's not hard and yes it takes skill and athleticism but as a form of exercise, conditioning ?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just can't get into it, but then again, I don't want to get into it, I hate the game.   I feel the same way about hockey.   I can tolerate some baseball and football is fun to watch.   I can watch boxing and MMA.  I don't watch a lot of NBA games outside of the Celtics and I won't watch any of the finals now we are out.

I guess at the end of the day if I am truly honest, I am only a Celtic Fan.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Conditioning is also another aspect that keeps me involved.  A soccer pitch is 25 yards wider and I think 20 yards longer than a football field. Playing a game of soccer with limited subs is work, conditioning, coordination and possibly more determination than any other sport.
You also get to play every snap on both sides of the ball, there are no timeouts, and once they sub you out, you're out. People should try running up and down a soccer pitch for 90 minutes straight at least once in their life before they pass judgement ;)

A soccer ball has sides?

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Excitement?  Like when they play for 3 hours and nobody scores, so they just end the game in a tie?  That kind of excitement?  Would rather watch water evaporate - it's much more fast paced.
I've always wondered why people who think soccer is boring are "excited" by a basketball game that's tied with two minutes left. They've just watched 46 largely meaningless minutes that stretched for a couple of hours.

Also, soccer games don't last three hours and have a guaranteed turnaround of 90 minutes (plus injury time which is typically less than 10 min total).

Umm, that's not even remotely close to being the same thing, as during those preceding 46 minutes you can have plenty of lead changes and great plays, etc., plus, the teams actually score, lol ;D.

I just can't get into it, but then again, I don't want to get into it, I hate the game.   I feel the same way about hockey.   I can tolerate some baseball and football is fun to watch.   I can watch boxing and MMA.  I don't watch a lot of NBA games outside of the Celtics and I won't watch any of the finals now we are out.

I guess at the end of the day if I am truly honest, I am only a Celtic Fan.

Did you ever play soccer, even at recess, lol? Take it from me, it's just one of those sports that is far more enjoyable to play than watch, but everyone's different :).