Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 127413 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
2 teenagers playing for women's title right now

I was rooting for Emma Raducanu, glad that she won as she was being overshadowed by Fernandez (with reason) arriving to the Finals, but the 3 or 4 matches I had seen of her she had impressed me.

In all it was cool match, plenty of great rallies... the result doesn't do justice to how competitive every single game was. Fernandez struggled a lot with her first serve, and I think that played a lot into why she lost, but Emma was very much deserving and in all it was a great tournament to watch.

Tomorrow, history will be made once again...hopefully.

I was rooting for Leylah Fernandez. Her path to the final was much more difficult and that’s why Emma was overshadowed. She beat Osaka(arguably the most dominant player in womens tennis), Kerber, who won the US open a few years back, Svetlina top 5 player and Sabalenka who is the #2 ranked player in the world.

Many of Fernandez’s matches went 3 sets and I think that is why her serve was off in the final. Tired legs.the match was very competitive as you had mentioned.  I was hoping that Leylah would win, I saw her play Kerber live last Sunday in NY and she’s a really exciting young player. Happy for Emma, too. She had an incredible run and didn’t drop a set the whole tournament, which is unreal. Future of women’s tennis is bright.

Yeah I was rooting for Fernandez too.  I admired what both ladies did to get to the final though.  It just felt like after the first game or so that Raducanu was the favorite as she looked more dominating.  It was fun to see Fernandez stay competitive in both sets.  Match was much closer than the score, with many games going into deuce / ad and back and forth.  I came out of watching the match as a fan of both players.  I am sure I probably enjoyed that match more than the one today.

« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2021, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Medvedev takes the first set in the final vs Djokovic.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Danil Medvedev beats Novak Djokovic in straight sets and wins the US open.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2021, 06:36:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Love it! Can't stand Djokovic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2021, 06:37:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
 :-[straight set win for medvedev. Very anti climatic
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Agreed =(

« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2021, 06:43:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Agreed =(

Not for Medvedev!!

Medvedev played an incredible match.  Djokovic seemed a step slow all day.  The pressure on him seemed palpable.

« Reply #172 on: September 12, 2021, 06:44:32 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Love it! Can't stand Djokovic

I’m not a fan of him either. He’s probably the greatest tennis player of all time, but his on and off the court antics make him unlikable. Hoping that Roger, Rafa and Novak retire tied with 20
Majors each.

« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
OP needs to change the heading of this thread, LOL.

« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2021, 09:20:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So Novak is unvaccinated and therefore cannot enter Australia so he will not be defending his title (he has won the last 3 and has 9 Aussie's total). 

« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2021, 11:39:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
So Novak is unvaccinated and therefore cannot enter Australia so he will not be defending his title (he has won the last 3 and has 9 Aussie's total).

He’s supposedly not vaccinated, yet. There’s still time. AO doesn’t start until January 17th.

« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2021, 02:24:09 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Didn't they have to be vaccinated for the Olympics?

« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Didn't they have to be vaccinated for the Olympics?
apparently not.  Perhaps individual sports were treated differently than team ones.

« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2022, 09:26:46 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Really surprised they are letting him get away with this in Australia... Novak is the only one that I’ve heard of to receive this vaccine exemption for both the men and women competing in the AO which is a few weeks away.

Novak Djokovic ended speculation over his Australian Open title defence by announcing on Tuesday that he would compete at the tennis season's opening Grand Slam event after receiving a medical exemption from getting vaccinated against COVID-19.

The world No. 1, who had declined to reveal his vaccination status, said previously that he was unsure whether he would compete at the Jan. 17-30 tournament in Melbourne due to concerns over Australia's quarantine rules.

"I've spent fantastic quality time with my loved ones over the break and today I'm heading Down Under with an exemption permission. Let's go 2022," the Serbian said on Instagram.

Organisers of the Australian Open had stipulated that all participants must be vaccinated against the coronavirus or have a medical exemption granted by an independent panel of experts.

The organisers issued a statement later on Tuesday to confirm Djokovic will be allowed to compete at the Australian Open and is on his way to Australia.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32990613/novak-djokovic-defend-australian-open-title-exemption-vaccination
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:55:39 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2022, 09:14:12 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Novak Djokovic needs to prove vaccine exemption ahead of Australian Open or go home: Australian PM

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison initially said the decision was a matter for the government of Victoria, where Melbourne is the state capital.

"They have provided (Djokovic) with an exemption to come to Australia, and so we then act in accordance with that," Morrison said. "States provide exemptions for people to enter on those basis, and that's been happening for the last two years."

Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews clarified in a statement that the Australian Border Force would make the final determination.

"While the Victorian government and Tennis Australia may permit a non-vaccinated player to compete in the Australian Open, it is the Commonwealth government that will enforce our requirements at the Australian border," Andrews said. "If an arriving individual is not vaccinated, they must provide acceptable proof that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons to be able to access the same travel arrangement as fully vaccinated travelers."

Morrison later added, when asked about Djokovic, that "If that evidence is insufficient, then he won't be treated any different to anyone else and he'll be on the next plane home."

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32997513/novak-djokovic-needs-prove-exemption-go-home-australian-pm