Author Topic: Where should Siakam go?  (Read 2177 times)

Where should Siakam go?
« on: January 02, 2024, 02:53:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I see him linked to a few different teams

- Atlanta
- Dallas
- Indiana
- Memphis
- Philadelphia

Have you seen him linked to other teams?

Where would Siakam do well? I feel he would do best without a ball dominant guard because Siakam needs to dribble the ball a fair bit himself. That would strike out teams like Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis and maybe Indiana. Leaving Philly as the best bet.

Does Siakam fit with Haliburton? Haliburton probably shares the ball enough to make it work but will Siakam cramp Haliburton's style with Siakam's own over-dribbling?

Siakam strikes me as not the easiest guy to fit without him taking a major stepback in terms of both role and production. Scaling back to being a 18-22ppg threat and 3-4apg guy instead of the 25ppg 5apg guy he has been the last few years.

And who can make a good offer?

Dallas could offer up Kyrie Irving for a straight swap with Siakam. Siakam seen as a better fit next to Luka. That could be an enticing swap. There next offer is a flotsam of role players. Maybe that young center Derrick Lively, Jalen Hardy and some picks. That ain't bad. Ain't great either.

I do not see how Memphis can get involved. They shouldn't trade JJJ for Siakam. That leaves Bane. I do not see how they can make any other offer while keeping those three guys. Who else do they have that has any value? So Bane for Siakam. I am not sure if I even do that if I am Memphis. Bane is the only legit shooter they have. Siakam is a PF/SF while JJJ is a PF/C. They kinda get in each other's way. Both Siakam and Morant want to overdribble at the top of the key. They clash. Lot of clashes of styles and position.

Atlanta could make a good offer based around Dejounte Murray.

Philly can match salaries with Tobias Harris but I am not sure they have much else of value to offer. Whatever picks they got for Harden. T Harris probably walks at the end of the season. Not much of a return for Siakam.

Indy could offer up one of their young guys either Mathurin who has shown star potential at SG or their young PF they used a lotto pick on this summer in Jarrace Walker along with other future picks and filler. The Walker one would need a lot of extra picks. The Mathurin offer may be attractive enough by himself. Just match salaries and off you go. 

Has Siakam been linked to Sacramento at all? A deal involving him going there with Keegan Murray going back to Toronto. That could be interesting for both teams. Allows H Barnes to shift back to SF where he is more comfortable. Ups SAC's star talent and puts them more in the mix in the West. TOR gets a good young forward who is a natural shooter to play alongside their slasher S Barnes.

Re: Where should Siakam go?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 03:18:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
If The Raps can wait until Jan 15th I think Siakam to the Wiz for Kuzma and Gallo. The Wiz gets a star even if he's not a superstar and the Raps get shooting bigs.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 04:05:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Siakam is a very good player.  A true PF.  I am not even sure how to rank PFs as it isn't clear anymore who is a PF (I don't consider Tatum or Durant PFs for example, they are just wings who play in a 1-big line up a lot).

Giannis
Markkanen
Randle
A. Davis
Towns

Siakam would be right in there with any other than Giannis.  I am not sure how a deal could be structured though.  I like the way that TOR is balanced now:

C:    Poeltl  (28)
PF:  Siakam  (29)
F:    Barnes  (22)
G:   Barrett  (23)
G:   Quickley  (24)

Siakam is 29 already so I guess a younger PF would align better in some ways. 

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 04:51:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
He'd honestly be pretty great here, but there isn't a realistic way to acquire him.  Shame. 

I think he'd fit pretty well with the Lakers and Heat.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 05:03:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Maybe its just that Brown and Tatum have had his number for so long, but I'm just not impressed with him.

When the Cs played them last week, the Raptors got the game close when he was out of the game and McDaniels was playing for him.

He's a fine 3-4th option if he is willing to accept not being ball-dominant.

He would probably fit the Heat best. I could see Memphis making a move like this as well. I don't see the Laker fit at all, as the best lineups with Lebron include stretch bigs (and Davis isn't really that). I also think the Warriors make a lot of sense.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 06:12:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Maybe its just that Brown and Tatum have had his number for so long, but I'm just not impressed with him.

When the Cs played them last week, the Raptors got the game close when he was out of the game and McDaniels was playing for him.

He would probably fit the Heat best. I could see Memphis making a move like this as well. I don't see the Laker fit at all, as the best lineups with Lebron include stretch bigs (and Davis isn't really that). I also think the Warriors make a lot of sense.

Hasn’t he already been the #2 guy on a championship team?

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 06:18:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
He'd honestly be pretty great here, but there isn't a realistic way to acquire him.  Shame. 

I think he'd fit pretty well with the Lakers and Heat.

How could those teams realistically acquire him? I guess heat could go with a package around either herro or their rookie but not sure that interests Toronto. The raptors certainly don’t want Russell with Quickley and Schroeder. They don’t have anyone close to siakam Caliber.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 06:20:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

A package starting around Wiggins who I believe is Canadian seems like a lot better offer than anything heat or lakers could realistically offer. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 06:47:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I can see Heat using him, Butler getting a lot of miles.   Lakers only want top 10-20 players , he won’t move the needle enough for that franchise and please those fans . 

He is maybe a #4 scorer on a contender, he seems a tick slower these days to me.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 06:49:54 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

A package starting around Wiggins who I believe is Canadian seems like a lot better offer than anything heat or lakers could realistically offer. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.
Wiggins is Canadian, but more importantly (as far as this goes) he's from the greater Toronto area.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 07:11:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Send him anywhere West except to Lakers, and I am content.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 07:17:56 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
It's kinda nice to have an All-Star on the block and the forum not filled with ridiculous trade scenarios.

Siakam for Horford, Kornet, Walsh, and a 2nd.  Who says no? 

And do you think maybe we can expand it into a 3-way with Chicago and get back either Lavine, DeRozan, or Vučević if we include Queta/Brissett?  Siakim/Vucevic to Boston, Horford/Kornet/Walsh/Lavine/2nd to Toronto, Queta/Brissett/Schröder to CHI.  I'd be willing to throw in a 2024 pick swap if we have to.

I think a team of Tatum/Brown/Porzingis/White/Holiday/Siakim/Vucevic/Pritchard/Hauser gives us a shot at a championship.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 07:41:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
He'd fit well in Miami, though I don't think he puts them over the top.

I'd be most worried about him going to Philly. He's a really good fit there and could put them into true contender territory, depending upon what they would have to give up.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 07:49:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Wiggins is Canadian, but more importantly (as far as this goes) he's from the greater Toronto area.
Wiggins is not a good centerpiece in a trade for Siakam.  Not good enough.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:31:20 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 09:11:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Wiggins is not a good centerpiece in a trade for Siakam.  Not good enough.

lol then how in the world are the lakers getting him?