Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74834 times)

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2023, 05:17:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
@ChrisForsberg_
Joe on no Grant Williams in Game 1: “We have a plan to use the depth that we need in order to give us the lineups that we think can really help us … I thought Payton gave us an opportunity with his shooting, with his playmaking, his pick and roll defense … Grant is always going to be ready. And we've built a lot of versatility and depth in our lineup where we can go a lot of different ways. We trust that anybody that we call in will be ready.“

What am I missing?
Astonishing. Does he hear the stupidity that comes out of his mouth?
Call me crazy, but if you're going to put in PP for his shooting, shouldn't you.....maybe call some sets to get him looks?
I said it in the game thread, but PP is going to find it very difficult to get his rhythm shooting again. He has been iced for so long, and now he's given decent minutes in the ECF?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2023, 05:29:30 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
@ChrisForsberg_
Joe on no Grant Williams in Game 1: “We have a plan to use the depth that we need in order to give us the lineups that we think can really help us … I thought Payton gave us an opportunity with his shooting, with his playmaking, his pick and roll defense … Grant is always going to be ready. And we've built a lot of versatility and depth in our lineup where we can go a lot of different ways. We trust that anybody that we call in will be ready.“

What am I missing?
Call me crazy, but if you're going to put in PP for his shooting, shouldn't you.....maybe call some sets to get him looks?
I said it in the game thread, but PP is going to find it very difficult to get his rhythm shooting again. He has been iced for so long, and now he's given decent minutes in the ECF?
Controversially, that's his job.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2023, 05:30:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
@ChrisForsberg_

What am I missing?
Sure. But 2 FGAs in 12 minutes is nothing, so why does our coach specify it as the primary reason for his playing? Is he there to shoot or not?

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2023, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
@ChrisForsberg_

What am I missing?
Sure. But 2 FGAs in 12 minutes is nothing, so why does our coach specify it as the primary reason for his playing? Is he there to shoot or not?
I have no idea - and I wasn't able to watch Game One, so I'm speaking from a place of ignorance here as to the specifics of that particular 48 minutes - but being 'iced' is one of those things that doesn't really exist until it does, like momentum. We all know it when we see it, but it's not meaningfully tangible.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2023, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
@ChrisForsberg_

What am I missing?
I have no idea - and I wasn't able to watch Game One, so I'm speaking from a place of ignorance here as to the specifics of that particular 48 minutes - but being 'iced' is one of those things that doesn't really exist until it does, like momentum. We all know it when we see it, but it's not meaningfully tangible.
I wouldn't recommend watching it. The footage does not align with anything Joe has talked about postgame. He cites Pritchard's shooting and playmaking, so he parks him in the corner stationary. He cites his PnR defence (seriously??), yet leaves him on an island time and again for Butler to hunt.

I just do not understand him

« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2023, 05:41:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
@ChrisForsberg_

What am I missing?
I wouldn't recommend watching it. The footage does not align with anything Joe has talked about postgame. He cites Pritchard's shooting and playmaking, so he parks him in the corner stationary. He cites his PnR defence (seriously??), yet leaves him on an island time and again for Butler to hunt.

I just do not understand him

We screwed

« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2023, 10:57:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
You guys that wanted Grant to get minutes. That’s why he shouldn’t. Couple of nice plays and a bunch of bad ones. Let’s his emotions get the best of him and got absolutely torched by Butler.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2023, 09:32:36 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Heat's Jimmy Butler: Exchange with Grant Williams fueled me.

After the basket, Butler immediately got head-to-head with Williams as the pair exchanged words and were each assessed a technical foul. The Heat closed the game on a 24-9 run.

"Yes, it did," Butler said. "But that's just competition at its finest. He hit a big shot, started talking to me. I like that. I'm all for that. It makes me key in a lot more. It pushes that will that I have to win a lot more. It makes me smile. It does.

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2023, 09:46:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Eh.  A member of the media said something like this:  There's all this talk about "poking the bear".  The Celtics are supposed to be the bear.

It's like a hockey fight.  Grant was trying to bring some fire.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2023, 09:48:30 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
You guys that wanted Grant to get minutes. That’s why he shouldn’t. Couple of nice plays and a bunch of bad ones. Let’s his emotions get the best of him and got absolutely torched by Butler.

thats on the coach for leaving Grant 1 on 1 on butler.

we let Miami switch to the matchups they wanted every trip down the floor

« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2023, 10:14:48 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Eh.  A member of the media said something like this:  There's all this talk about "poking the bear".  The Celtics are supposed to be the bear.

I loved it. I wish more Celtics players would do similar things. Imagine if Grant had Tatum's skill and others had Grant's heart?

« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2023, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

The coaching the last two games has been atrocious. Spolstra must be loving life going against this guy in the ECF. Joe has done zero to counter what Miami has done. Butler gets wherever he wants. Leaving Rob Williams on the bench for almost the whole 4th quarter was just stupid. Leaving Tatum on the bench during Miami’s 14-2 run without calling a timeout was just stupid. We might be looking at the worse coach in playoff history in the NBA in Joe Mazzula.  I had a feeling once the playoffs started we would see this. Regular season is not the same. The matchups and game plans in a series is when you separate good coaches from bad. We knew Miami had a major edge in coaching I think we were all hoping the Celtics talent would make up for it. Clearly this proves you need a real coach in the NBA if you want to win.

« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2023, 10:58:12 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I loved it. I wish more Celtics players would do similar things. Imagine if Grant had Tatum's skill and others had Grant's heart?

Agreed. The fact no one had his back and responded speaks volume of this team right now.

« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So did you want to send a double team every time the Heat force a switch resulting in Grant guarding Jimmy? You do realize that by doing this the Heat get a wide open 3pt shot every time and Butler will find the open man. This is why Grant and Pritchard really shouldn’t be playing. Too much of a liability and Spolestra will hunt the mismatches.

« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593

So did you want to send a double team every time the Heat force a switch resulting in Grant guarding Jimmy? You do realize that by doing this the Heat get a wide open 3pt shot every time and Butler will find the open man. This is why Grant and Pritchard really shouldn’t be playing. Too much of a liability and Spolestra will hunt the mismatches.

Amazing that doubling tatum works...

Jimmy has smoked us 2 tines.....but yeah, let's be scared of what might happen and just allow him to get what he wants.Poor ol Joe has no choice, it's not like he has a roster capable of guys playing elite defense
Still don't believe in Joe.