Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74828 times)

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2022, 08:19:34 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
If he wanted more than Rob got (reports have speculated he wanted in the mid to high teens), then it’s a great decision to hold off on an extension. I assume Brad offered between 10-12 AAV. I still think there’s a good chance we end up signing him next year once he sees that the market is not as bullish on RFA role players as he is hoping for.

« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2022, 08:34:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Maybe this has changed in the last few years with guys like Caruso getting bigger contracts, but traditionally grant is not the guy I would expect to get a bigger offer. He is not the kind of guy that is going to excite a fan base. He doesn’t have a lot of upside left. He is limited athletically. Seems like a big risk for grant to turn down a 40 million dollar contract if that was really offered.

« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2022, 09:19:48 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think he is back, but we’ll see. It only takes one team with a lot of cap space and a willingness to overpay to make this a hard decision.

« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2022, 10:15:36 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
It could happen (a big offer in RFA), but teams want certainty in their offseason plans. If they’re planning on offering a FA 15+ mil, that’s a huge part of their offseason. Teams don’t want to go through that process and then have it matched while all the other big fish get snapped up (which typically happens all in the first 48 hours of FA). Even a borderline star like Ayton only eventually got an RFA offer from Indy once all the other cap space had dried up.

« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2022, 12:56:54 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Grant is easy to underrate because of his stature, last season being his lone breakout season (from an efficiency and defensive standpoint), and his deflated offensive production coming off the bench and playing on a contender.

Grant is 23 and a high level 3 and D player. He shot 41% from 3 last season, shoots 43% from 3 over his playoff career (decent sample size for a third year player), and defends players like Durant, Giannis, and Jokic at an elite level.

DeAndre Hunter just signed a 4y/$95M extension and he’s a comp. I wouldn’t go there, but with PJ Tucker signing a 3y/$33M at 37 and Dorian Finney-Smith a 4y/$55M extensions, if he has a season like last, Wyc better get ready to pay or move Grant because he will be in that ballpark.

« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2022, 08:19:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Not sure this means anything at all other than both parties decided to wait and deal with it during next off season when Grant will be a RFA.  I don't think this necessarily indicates that Grant is gone.  The Celtics can match any offer.  If he plays really well, good for him, the price may go up some.  If he stays kind of steady, the contract probably ends up where an extension would anyway.  He has been a very durable player but he could get injured.  I don't blame him for taking the risk.  For betting on himself.

From the Celtics perspective, I assume (but don't know) they made a competitive but somewhat team friendly offer.  But why negotiate against themselves on this.  Nothing wrong with letting a player become a RFA.  It is still very team friendly to be able to match.  They are going to have Gallinari next season (probably).  They will have had a year to see what Vonleh is.  Blake Griffin may still be around.  They can see what kind of offers Grant gets and decide if they want to match.

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Not sure this means anything at all other than both parties decided to wait and deal with it during next off season when Grant will be a RFA.  I don't think this necessarily indicates that Grant is gone.  The Celtics can match any offer.  If he plays really well, good for him, the price may go up some.  If he stays kind of steady, the contract probably ends up where an extension would anyway.  He has been a very durable player but he could get injured.  I don't blame him for taking the risk.  For betting on himself.

From the Celtics perspective, I assume (but don't know) they made a competitive but somewhat team friendly offer.  But why negotiate against themselves on this.  Nothing wrong with letting a player become a RFA.  It is still very team friendly to be able to match.  They are going to have Gallinari next season (probably).  They will have had a year to see what Vonleh is.  Blake Griffin may still be around.  They can see what kind of offers Grant gets and decide if they want to match.

I agree.  Its no big deal.  Lets see how it goes.

« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Deleted - decided I was wrong…
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 11:49:52 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2022, 11:56:14 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Deleted - decided I was wrong…

You weren’t wrong.  :laugh:

Grant Williams does not have the size, athleticism, talent, and overall upside that Hunter does. That’s why DeAndre got paid and Grant has not. If a GM traded Hunter away for Grant they would likely lose their job.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:04:54 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2022, 03:13:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No fears. They will have Kornet and they probably think he’s a legit option even though we all know he’s not.

« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2022, 12:40:29 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
After 2 games, Grant’s averaging 12.5/4.0/1.5 (32.23 PER for 27th in the NBA) on ridiculous 81.8/71.4/66.7 splits in 24.5 MPG, while guarding 1-5 from Embiid to Butler on several occasions, but he’s not 6’8 so we’ll continue to keep track throughout the season.

« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2022, 01:14:28 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

It really depends on what Grant wanted.  If he wanted what the team thought he'd get on the open market then why not lock him up now.  Even with AL and Grants salary gone the C's are still over the cap.  The issue is the deal Rob signed.  Would you rather have Rob or Grant?  If Grant signs for much more then Rob did then there could be issues but if you look it it the C's can't find a better player then Grant to replace him with any avenue they have to sign someone.  Now if they moved White they could get a better player then Grant and have PP to step in.  That's about the only avenue they have to replace Grant.  I'd rather have Grant and White or Grant and the player they trade White for.

« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2022, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Grant is good. As a matter of fact, I just picked him up in my fantasy basketball league.

« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2022, 07:03:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

It really depends on what Grant wanted.  If he wanted what the team thought he'd get on the open market then why not lock him up now.  Even with AL and Grants salary gone the C's are still over the cap.  The issue is the deal Rob signed.  Would you rather have Rob or Grant?  If Grant signs for much more then Rob did then there could be issues but if you look it it the C's can't find a better player then Grant to replace him with any avenue they have to sign someone.  Now if they moved White they could get a better player then Grant and have PP to step in.  That's about the only avenue they have to replace Grant.  I'd rather have Grant and White or Grant and the player they trade White for.

The answer to Grant or Rob isn't simple.  In the last 3 seasons, Grant played in 67 more regular season games than Rob and 16 more playoff games.  Plus 3 regular season games so far this year.  It's possible that total number is around 100 by the time Rob takes the court this year.  100 more games played in less than 4 seasons.  I'm still in for Rob over Grant, but if the availability trend continues and Grant continues to improve, the Grant or Rob question becomes not such a slam dunk.   It's going to be very disheartening if Rob comes back in January/Feb and is then injured again.  Who here thinks that might happen?  Yeah... Everyone.

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Adrian Wojnarowski: No rookie extension deals for Phoenix’s Cam Johnson, Charlotte’s P.J. Washington or Boston’s Grant Williams — all headed to restricted free agency next summer, sources tell ESPN.  – via Twitter wojespn

Even if the Celtics offered 4 year $40M extension, how do you pass on that kind of guaranteed money? If he has a down year or gets injured, even that amount could be off the table. Seems like a dumb risk to take.

Gotta agree - $40 million is multi-generational wealth. I don't get these guys and the money they often ask for.
Grant Williams was seen as a role player when he got to Tennessee as a freshman. He improved dramatically and also probably turned out to be more talented than originally thought. We could never have foreseen 2-time SEC Player of the Year.

Another factor Grant should consider is what type of team does he want to play for. A prospective long-term contender that plays unselfish basketball at a place where he fits into the scheme well and is appreciated and appears to get along well with his teammates ? Plus, the opportunity to play for the most storied franchise in the league. In other words, do you want to spend your career in a great situation where you are happy or trade that for other possibilities that are much less attractive in terms of your overall level of contentment. Enjoying where you work is a very important part of life. How would you like to be playing for the Lakers right now ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce