Author Topic: Yes or no-Celtics/Jazz trade  (Read 1704 times)

Yes or no-Celtics/Jazz trade
« on: June 30, 2022, 08:40:14 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Celtics get Rudy Gobert

Jazz get TimeLord, Grant Williams, Daniel Theis & Derrick White

Gobert
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart

C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Yes or no-Celtics/Jazz trade
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 08:43:36 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
awful!!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 08:48:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
horrible trade for the C's. 

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:54:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You do that and you are going all in for the next year or two, so I think they'd have to use both the TPE's and really go for it.  I might do that though as it does upgrade the 3rd best player while keeping the current 3rd best player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 09:03:36 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
U can get some cheap vets to fill bench..see what our bench did in the finals, absolutely nothing..Finally have a legit center & don’t have to worry about TimeLord health every week..

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Three good players & a serviceable bench guy for one good player. No thank you.

It is our depth of talent that gave us a run to the Finals. Consolidating that into one player is one route but Gobert is not talented enough for that to be worthwhile. I'd rather stay put and continue to win through our depth (main 7 guys).

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
U can get some cheap vets to fill bench..see what our bench did in the finals, absolutely nothing..Finally have a legit center & don’t have to worry about TimeLord health every week..
How is Timelord not legit?!?

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 09:22:34 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
How is Timelord not legit?!?

I don't think anyone is questioning his skillset, i think his durability is the concern. Dude can't stay on the court, and if people want to ignore that fact they are in complete denial.

I dont think the trade proposal is as bad as others are reacting to it, Gobert is a perennial all star who can be trusted to be on the court night in and night out. That said I probably wouldn't make the deal, there are other max guys i'd rather have that I feel fill a bigger need for our team. I also think the trade thins out our bench too much.

Replace Timelord and White for Al, Theiss and a few firsts I would do it. If the Jazz want to go in full rebuilding mode then having Al's expiring deal could be a nice offer to them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 09:29:14 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 09:24:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I understand the sentiment...  If Timelord is going to be a chronic injury risk going forward, something like this makes some sense (assuming we otherwise filled out the team with TPEs). 

But, I want to stick with TL.  When he was healthy, this team was the best in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 10:16:48 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Celtics get Rudy Gobert

Jazz get TimeLord, Grant Williams, Daniel Theis & Derrick White

Gobert
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart

At this point Timelord is a much better fit then Rudy.

Now if you are telling me that package for Mitchell now were talking.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 10:27:29 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Although his injury history is concerning, the fact that we have a borderline elite C signed for 4/48 is pretty ideal. I'm in the camp that it's probably not a great idea to be spending 30 mil plus (let alone 40 mil plus like Gobert) on a C unless that guy is Jokic or Embiid when you can piece together a really competitive 48 minutes at the 5 spot with closer to 20 mil like we are doing. It would take a pretty special deal to consider moving Rob at this point because he is on such a sweetheart deal compared to his peak production/ability.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 10:27:30 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I like The Timelord's playoff role better than I like Gobert's. The argument in my mind would be that Timelord won't be healthy, so you trade high to get a more consistent player with a lower playoff ceiling. I am not a fan of Gobert's contract. That is in stark contrast to Timelord who is paid like someone who is hurt all the time. If he goes on a health streak, he is drastically underpaid.

I would stand pat with Timelord > Gobert at their respective salaries.
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I like The Timelord's playoff role better than I like Gobert's. The argument in my mind would be that Timelord won't be healthy, so you trade high to get a more consistent player with a lower playoff ceiling. I am not a fan of Gobert's contract. That is in stark contrast to Timelord who is paid like someone who is hurt all the time. If he goes on a health streak, he is drastically underpaid.

I think Gobert's playoff deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated because of a couple of bad matchups.  Last year, he was the only Jazz starter who had a positive on/off differential in the playoffs (he also had the best +- by a wide margin among the Jazz starters).  He rebounds, scores efficiently, and is the best big man defender in the sport.  He is overpaid, but he is a clear upgrade on Rob.  Rob has been so overrated by this board, it has reached crazytown levels on this board.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 11:18:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders

I think Gobert's playoff deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated because of a couple of bad matchups.  Last year, he was the only Jazz starter who had a positive on/off differential in the playoffs (he also had the best +- by a wide margin among the Jazz starters).  He rebounds, scores efficiently, and is the best big man defender in the sport.  He is overpaid, but he is a clear upgrade on Rob.  Rob has been so overrated by this board, it has reached crazytown levels on this board.
Thank You!!! Glad I’m not only one who thinks TimeLord is overrated

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Thank You!!! Glad I’m not only one who thinks TimeLord is overrated
I don't know that I would make that trade because Gobert is way overpaid for what he provides, but he is a clear and obvious upgrade on Rob (even taking health out of it), so I'd consider it.