Author Topic: Horford Contract Has Real Trade Value  (Read 5196 times)

Horford Contract Has Real Trade Value
« on: December 01, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Al is getting $27 mm this season.  He is only guaranteed $14.5 mm next season, sliding up depending on if he makes it to finals this season ($19.5 mm) or wins chip this year ($26.5 mm).

I think Al may have peaked, and his max trade value is like right now.  I think over the season his age will show. Plus with EK Freedom's emergence, and a return of Rob (plus Jabari playing some back up minutes as small ball 5), we may be able to do fine without Al.  Love the guy, but thinking ahead here.

I can think of a few teams contending for a championship that would be very interested in him:

GS Warriors.  They really struggled last night defending against the Ayton.  Al would fit in perfectly there.  What could we expect to get in return? Hard to get salaries that come close to matching.  Wiseman only makes $9mm.  Warriors aren't trading Green, and doubt they trade Wiggins (plus doubt we would want him).

Miami Heat.  Al would fit in very well there.  Adabayo is getting surgery and is out for 6 weeks.  Al would be great back up at the 5 and some minutes at that 4.  We could ask for Robinson ($15.5 mm) who may be available, as he is slumping (low 30s from 3 this season) and Tyler Herro eventually will be starting for him anyway IMO.

Nets.  Griffin doesn't play anymore. Al would be a good fit at the starting 5 or back up to Aldridge.  Maybe for Joe Harris, who makes $17.4 and filler.

ATL.  This team could really use Horford. He'd be a great fit. Return to his original franchise.  I'd ask for Boggy, they'd probably offer Gallinari, which I would decline.  Their other desirables have salaries that are just too low to match up. (and you can forget about Collins, he's not available for Al Horford!!)

Hornets.  Not really contenders, but.....Would they consider trading Terry Rozier?  Hard to say.  He has been playing real well for them.  What if we packaged Horford and Smart for Hayward and Rozier?  Would you pull the trigger on that? I certainly would consider it.

Bring it on!!!

Re: Horford Contract Has Real Trade Value
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In each case, you’re proposing a decent player on a decent contract for a guy who will be making $27 million on an expiring contract next season.

I don’t think that’s the type of deal that will get done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 04:46:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
(click on image to enlarge)

Why for the Raps:
- To a large extent, Siakam and Scottie Barnes cancel each other out. Plenty of Raps fans are ready to move on from Siakam.
- They need a starting-caliber Center. Horford would be a mentor for their young players, plus he'd be a solid contributor from day 1. Their starting Center right now is Achiuwa, but that's cause they miss Anunoby. When everyone is healthy, Siakam starts at Center.
- Siakam ain't crafty enough as a scorer to be the go-to guy, yet he's paid like a go-to guy. Plenty of Raps fans think he's overpaid.

Would the Raps say yes? Hard to say. An unprotected first + a recent lotto pick + a solid vet who fits their needs seems like fair value in my book. That said, I bet they'd ask for Timelord.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:00:27 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 05:32:16 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Horford has decent, unexceptional value for the right team. Your overvaluing him, while undervaluing guys like Robinson, Gallinari, and Rozier.

As for Miami, not happening on Horford. I've wondered what a package of Schroeder and Grant Williams could net from them, as that would be a high value trade for MIA. The problem? They have no prospects, and no picks.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:36:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Another idea I came across:

(click on image to enlarge)

I wouldn't have given it much thought, but it was posted from a Wolves fan. I'm assuming he knows what the Wolves want better than I do. If the Wolves are an underachieving team at the trade deadline, perhaps they'd consider it?

Don't like the fit of DLo next to the Jays. That said, in a vacuum, DLo > 35-year-old Horford.

Fwiw, KAT and DLo are close friends, but the same goes for KAT and Horford. They 've been teammates in the Dominican Republic national team. KAT views him as his mentor.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:12:02 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:38:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I wouldn't have given it much thought, but it was posted from a Wolves fan. I'm assuming he knows what the Wolves want better than I do.

Never assume. Heck, you should even know better from being a poster here. An extremely large segment of the posters here are clueless as to what the Celtics want. Why would it be any different for Minny fans at a Minny site? The trade proposal makes zero sense for the Wolves.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 06:57:08 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Al is getting $27 mm this season.  He is only guaranteed $14.5 mm next season, sliding up depending on if he makes it to finals this season ($19.5 mm) or wins chip this year ($26.5 mm).

I think Al may have peaked, and his max trade value is like right now.  I think over the season his age will show. Plus with EK Freedom's emergence, and a return of Rob (plus Jabari playing some back up minutes as small ball 5), we may be able to do fine without Al.  Love the guy, but thinking ahead here.

I have to agree with the bolded part.  Al has been playing well at the start of the season, has really fresh legs from not playing as much last year.  But I just don't see it lasting.  Al seems to be a good fit with the J's and the team, so I hope I am wrong.

As for possible trades, I have no idea what we could get for a trade.  If we could somehow get Siakam from the Raptors with Al as a centerpiece that would be great.  I dunno if it is reasonable though.   I like a potential Smart / Brown / Tatum / Siakam / Timelord lineup.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Sign me up for Siakam, D'Lo, Wiggins, Simmons, whatever. I like Al, but don't see any chance we keep him next season at his salary. So he is kind-of like Schroder in that it would like be in our best interest to trade them now. Yes, these guys also make a ton of money, but at least they fit the timeline better.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »

Kiorrik

We finally have some guys that perform (above their standards?) and we gonna look to trade 'm?

>_<

Dang son. Can we just keep someone for a bit? Have you seen how happy this guy and his fam is to live in Boston again?

We need to stop calling him Trader Danny cuz we way worse here on this board :')

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 07:44:49 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
We finally have some guys that perform (above their standards?) and we gonna look to trade 'm?

>_<

Dang son. Can we just keep someone for a bit? Have you seen how happy this guy and his fam is to live in Boston again?

We need to stop calling him Trader Danny cuz we way worse here on this board :')

I agree for the most part, and I’d choose to keep Al at this point instead of trading him, but he showed us no loyalty when Philly wanted to pluck him away from us, so in his case, I’d leave his feelings out of it in these scenarios
Greg

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 08:09:10 PM »

Kiorrik

>_<

I agree for the most part, and I’d choose to keep Al at this point instead of trading him, but he showed us no loyalty when Philly wanted to pluck him away from us, so in his case, I’d leave his feelings out of it in these scenarios

Didn't the C's just offer a stupid low amount? That's what I thought the narrative there was.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd inquire about Michael Porter, Jr.

Porter, Barton, Bol Bol, Campazzo

for

Horford, Nesmith, 22 1st, 24 1st (top 4)

Obvious risk on the back, but the type of move that could pay off big time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 09:41:10 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

for

What an epically bad idea.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 10:58:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

for

Taking in that contract not knowing if he will ever play again could be worse than the vin baker trade.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 11:07:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

for

Taking in that contract not knowing if he will ever play again could be worse than the vin baker trade.
agreed.  kid hid his pain/injury to get his ridiculous payday and I doubt he'll see any court time until just before he needs to get a new deal