Author Topic: How can Celtics improve their offense: Xs and Os with an NBA analyst  (Read 5184 times)

Re: How can Celtics improve their offense: Xs and Os with an NBA analyst
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 09:11:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I got an easier solution. Just start hitting more shots, especially those wide, wide open ones.

😁

This team does not have good shooters - so they clang the contested shots and the wide open ones as well.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
An open shot that's not a player's spot is not much different from a contested one. Get them in their most comfortable spot, instead of just "open" looks, whether be it a 3 or a long midrange.

Coach and GM have an idea since they can look at the spots where players are efficient.

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 09:51:27 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The simple solution is to hire someone who can coach a high-level offence :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 11:12:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
The simple solution is to hire someone who can coach a high-level offence :laugh:

Should have hired D’Antoni as the #1 assistant coach. Mike could have run the offense and Ime the defense. An OC and a DC. Would have solved a lot of problems.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
While we're at it, Boston needs to bring in a competent GM.

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 04:15:32 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
When I watch the Warriors, it is like night and day in terms of off ball movement.  One of the greatest practitioners of off ball movement is Steph Curry.  It is such an enjoyable brand of basketball.

Nobody has ever moved around a half court as much as Steph has. He's one of the best off-ball relocators in the game, ever. The amount of work he puts in to drag his defender around and create gaps in the seams is insane. I really wish Tatum or Brown did this more, rather than just staying in one spot either waiting for the ball to be passed to them, or dribbling in one spot to try and iso a defender for a stepback the majority of the time. I hope that's the next step in their evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Zjf8_pgJ4
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:24:38 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Should have hired D’Antoni as the #1 assistant coach. Mike could have run the offense and Ime the defense. An OC and a DC. Would have solved a lot of problems.
Bold of you to assume that any coach worth his salt would want to work under the vibe man as his assistant.

Also it's not even like he's doing a good job at organising our defence, our defensive personnel is elite and we're merely above average on that end of the floor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 06:27:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
While we're at it, Boston needs to bring in a competent GM.
I said it before and I'll say it again, we have the Rick Pitino of the 2020s in our front office and the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of basketball on our bench.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 07:22:22 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I got an easier solution. Just start hitting more shots, especially those wide, wide open ones.

😁

This team does not have good shooters - so they clang the contested shots and the wide open ones as well.

Which is how a bad team like SAS can clog the lane and either effectively contest drives, layups, short-range fades, or force passes to mediocre outside shooters.

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 07:40:46 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
This is what happens when you let the players run the team. They hired Ime to make Tatum and Brown happy. How’s that working out so far? This roster needs to be blown up along with the coach. They keep trying to put band aids on this huge problem. The Celtics are now in NBA purgatory. Good enough to stay out of the lottery but bad enough to never make a serious run. Horrible place to be.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:14:25 AM by Banner18now! »

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have been saying this for a while.  At the core, I don't see a scheme or a plan.  The analyst said it, others have said it, you need purposeful movement off the ball.  You need the player with the ball to have a plan based on the understanding of what the off ball movement is going to be.  I don't see the movement (cutting, screening, etc.) and I don't see the plan.

I can't tell what the problem is for sure but I can speculate.  It does not appear to me that there is a plan or a scheme from the coaching staff.  The coach says we shouldn't iso so much but what is he implementing to address this?  Just saying "move the ball more" isn't enough.

I am being critical of the coach but I don't buy this further complaining that the coach was hired to appease the players or whatever.  I think they hired the coach they thought was the best for the team.  Probably Stevens had the last word but the owners may have a lot of say as well.  Just don't know.

They may have gotten the coach choice wrong, maybe it will turn out fine after more time.  I don't know.  But so far, this is not a well coached team.  Clearly the focus was more on defense.  That is fine.  But they need to start showing something on offense also or it will be too late.

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Bold of you to assume that any coach worth his salt would want to work under the vibe man as his assistant.

Also it's not even like he's doing a good job at organising our defence, our defensive personnel is elite and we're merely above average on that end of the floor.

Is it? Seemed to work just fine for Steve Nash last year. If you are a first time head coach, wouldn’t it be wise to surround yourself with an experienced coaching staff. If there is one thing Mike knows, it’s offense.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:58:19 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm guessing as a rookie coach, saying how you want a team to function and then having the "weight" to make it function that way, are two different things. It is possible to break the spirit of a team. Remember Bill Finch?

With all the veteran choices the Celtics had for the coaching seat, when they hired a rookie coach, I was really surprised. But, with the well recognized lack of BBIQ from its two exceptionally young stars, it all makes sense. What I'm trying to say is, I just don't sense urgency from ownership, therefore the plan must to be to tread-water until the J's show signs of maturing, and then hope they don't sign elsewhere when their current contracts run out, that must be the plan right? Something like Cuban is doing in Dallas?

In the mean time as a fan, it's a waiting game. In 2 or 3 years our dynamic duo may be ready, along with our rookie coach.

Because most young NBA stars do the same thing, gain pier recognition, wealth, and sneaker contracts until they near 30 and then scuffle for a chance at a ring.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 11:43:50 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It does seem extremely weird that there is a broad consensus among basketball media and the fan base what is fundamentally wrong with the team and the only move thus far to address any of it is to bring back Al Horford.

It was a clever horizontal move, but they couldn't have assumed that would change things all that much, and while he has helped, the team isn't any better.

I don't believe how this could be the extent of the franchise's efforts. They are either out of ideas (and we are then doomed to mediocrity) or something major is going to have to happen. I have never thought trading one of the J's was a good idea before, but I'm increasingly wondering how they work things out without doing it.

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
It does seem extremely weird that there is a broad consensus among basketball media and the fan base what is fundamentally wrong with the team and the only move thus far to address any of it is to bring back Al Horford.

Bringing back Horford was about getting out from under Walker — simple as that. Still a little surprised Presti agreed to that deal.