Author Topic: Brutal Quote about Tatum in latest ESPN article  (Read 9267 times)

Re: Brutal Quote about Tatum in latest ESPN article
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Lebron was 27 when he won his first title.
Giannis was 26 when he won his first title.
Durant was 28 when he won his first title.
Steph was 27 when he won his first title.
All the Celtics guys were in their 30's.

Sometimes it take time, Tatum and Brown are 23.5 and just turned 25. They may just not be ready.

Hope is not a strategy. Hoping Tatum or Brown morphs into a player the caliber of one of those 4 definitely isn’t a strategy.

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sometimes it take time, Tatum and Brown are 23.5 and just turned 25. They may just not be ready.

Hope is not a strategy. Hoping Tatum or Brown morphs into a player the caliber of one of those 4 definitely isn’t a strategy.
Giannis and Steph were not the Giannis and Steph you know today at 23 years old. Giannis made an enormous leap in impact and production per minute and per possession at age 24 (6th season), and Steph didn't make his big leap until he was 26 (also his 6th season I believe).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2021, 03:58:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Giannis and Steph were not the Giannis and Steph you know today at 23 years old. Giannis made an enormous leap in impact and production per minute and per possession at age 24 (6th season), and Steph didn't make his big leap until he was 26 (also his 6th season I believe).
Totally agree. My only concern is Brown in the team's take turns mentally. JB needs to be allowed to carry the team when he has it going to maximize his growth the way the team does with Tatum. Clearly there is a bias. We need both guys to flourish and the coach and players to trust Brown.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 04:03:41 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2021, 04:02:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Player development is the only progression unless the team makes a roster move. Development or acquisition is always the strategy.

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2021, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Totally agree. My only concern is Brown in the team's take turns mentally. JB needs to be allowed to carry the team when he has it going to maximize his growth the way the team does with Tatum. Clearly there is a bias. We need both guys to flourish and the coach and players to trust Brown.
I agree, the coaching has failed Brown for a couple of seasons in a row now. Parking him in the corner is such a waste of an elite talent

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2021, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Regardless, I think hoping Tatum or Brown turns into an MVP level player is a little short of prudent. It ain’t gonna happen. I have a very hard time seeing either as the best player on a championship team.

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2021, 05:33:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Regardless, I think hoping Tatum or Brown turns into an MVP level player is a little short of prudent. It ain’t gonna happen. I have a very hard time seeing either as the best player on a championship team.
People thought of Curry, Kawhi and Dirk at age 23 much the same way. Their progression is not finished.

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2021, 05:37:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

People thought of Curry, Kawhi and Dirk at age 23 much the same way. Their progression is not finished.
Another reminder is despite these guys being great players individually they all have few chips. Takes skill, team and luck to pull it out. Guys are not winning three chips easily. One chip is a mountain to climb.

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2021, 06:06:04 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

I’ll grant you Dirk but not the other two. And of the teams most fortunate to eek out a championship in recent memory, the 2011 Mavs are way up on that list.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:11:39 PM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I’ll grant you Dirk but not the other two. And of the teams most fortunate to eek out a championship in recent memory, the 2011 Mavs are way up on that list.
Who thought Kawhi was capable of a playoff run reminiscent of Michael Jordan when he was 23? Who thought Curry would be the first unanimous MVP when he was 23?

Nobody.

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2021, 10:01:03 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Who thought Kawhi was capable of a playoff run reminiscent of Michael Jordan when he was 23? Who thought Curry would be the first unanimous MVP when he was 23?

Nobody.

You’re wearing blinders to fit your argument, particularly on Kawhi.

You think Tatum is going to win an MVP? Just go on record on the topic.

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2021, 05:09:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Nobody.

I never said that, but definitive statements about the potential of 23 year-old star players are silly.

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2021, 06:15:05 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Nobody.

I never said that, but definitive statements about the potential of 23 year-old star players are silly.
It’s actually not at all regarding NBA MVP. That capability is plain by such an age. Tatum is never winning an MVP.

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Nobody.

It’s actually not at all regarding NBA MVP. That capability is plain by such an age. Tatum is never winning an MVP.
Lotto numbers tomorrow night?

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2021, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Nobody.

Lotto numbers tomorrow night?
Make you a substantial wager on this one aaaaaany time you want.