Author Topic: Brutal Quote about Tatum in latest ESPN article  (Read 9266 times)

Brutal Quote about Tatum in latest ESPN article
« on: November 24, 2021, 10:39:18 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32701015/the-ever-tinkering-boston-celtics-rocky-road-back-nba-finals-contention

"Jayson Tatum is about Jayson Tatum," an Eastern Conference assistant coach said. "I don't think he cares about winning now, and if he does, it is on his terms.

"He doesn't want to score 15 and win. He wants to score 39 and win."

What do you think?  Is this too harsh a criticism? Has Tatum taken steps to become a facilitator, to put the team first? I think he has.

Re: Brutal Quote about Tatum in latest ESPN article
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The whole article is extremely negative.   Complaining that they haven't found a rotation player with the two way contract players?

Right now he is attacking and moving the ball.  He is not a pg and most of his passes are directly leading to shots.  His passes is the start of ball movement as the defense is in scramble mode.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
First off, who is Tim Bontemps? Pretty weak article and it just seems like he’s trying to get attention. “An unnamed assistant coach has this to say about Tatum...”  ::)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think this goes for a lot of young players. Tatum is 23 - if it's true, it shouldn't come as a major surprise. But I don't think it's totally true. Rather than not caring about winning, I think he has just gotten accustomed to winning and being a star while doing it. This obviously started his rookie year when he helped lead the Cs to game 7 of the ECF.

After the end of last year and the beginning of this year, I think Tatum is beginning to reassess how difficult it actually is to win and is finally taking measures to not necessarily make it all about him. Besides, the quote below is kind-of stupid. With most young players, you hear that they would rather score 40 and lose than score 15 and win. Nowhere here does it say Tatum is okay with losing...and that is a good thing for his age.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 10:54:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't really buy the Tatum stuff, but a lot of that article mimics what I've been saying for years i.e. that Ainge really messed up since basically the moment he drafted Tatum.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nonsense.  We heard the same criticism of Paul Pierce. 

I’d love to see the name of the “Eastern Conference assistant coach”.  I’m sure he’s a real winner.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:03:43 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think the way his game plays out can give this impression (not a natural playmaker, good iso player, streaky shooter, settles), but I really don't think it's true.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
First off, who is Tim Bontemps? Pretty weak article and it just seems like he’s trying to get attention. “An unnamed assistant coach has this to say about Tatum...”  ::)

He is ESPN's lead reporter for the Northeast corridor, and lives in  Boston (originally from Buffalo, NY). Appears regularly on Brian Windhorst podcast. He is pretty negative about the Celtics generally although going into this season was a bit more upbeat about their off season moves.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
Honestly feel this is an article he has written over the last month before our recent surge, and it has the feel of yesterday's news.  It seems too dismissive of their recent success, which negates the overall theme of his story.  He should have written another article, or should have published that before we started to turn things around.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If I remember correctly, Botemps was a beat reporter for the Knicks.

That adds considerable context.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think the way his game plays out can give this impression (not a natural playmaker, good iso player, streaky shooter, settles), but I really don't think it's true.

Yeah I think this sort of critique is almost always projection and conjecture based on the on-the-court product. I don't think there are all that many active NBA players who would trade an 82-0 season for a better stat line (ignoring performance based incentives and next contracts and things like that).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 11:44:00 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Watch the games! Tatum has been playing some of his best team ball especially the last 5-6 games.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Honestly feel this is an article he has written over the last month before our recent surge, and it has the feel of yesterday's news.  It seems too dismissive of their recent success, which negates the overall theme of his story.  He should have written another article, or should have published that before we started to turn things around.

Yeah, it has to be killing him that the Cs recently turned it around. This had drama written all over it...until Tatum totally flipped the page and became one the NBA's top players once again.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like this quote better:

TheBillRussell
@RealBillRussell
All I’m gonna say is I see you @jaytatum0 keep up the hard work! It was a treat watching you put up 37 against the Lakers the other night @celtics @NBA all this in the last 4 games

34 Points - 9 Rebounds - 5
Assists
37 Points - 11 Rebounds - 2
Assists
33 Points - 8 Rebounds - 5
Assists
30 Points - 6 Rebounds - 3
Assists

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 01:15:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
An ESPN Guy hating on the Celtics ,   NOOOOO WAY!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I would not expert otherwise.