Author Topic: Marcus is mimicing Schroder  (Read 1783 times)

Marcus is mimicing Schroder
« on: November 24, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I have never seen Marcus use that extension into a finger roll layup .
I remember using that in one on one drills.  Rollie Massmino said i had had a gifted first step.By that he meant, my timing of lifting the backfoot and the dribble hitting the floor was so undetectable .That fraction of a second coupled with the wingspan extension and flic of wrist made this almost unblockable..

With the change in refs allowing a physical game Grant Williams should benefit and the pump fakes with lean ins not being called.
Also his walling off in the lane .A more physical game suits him with his IQ and strength.
Marcus will benefit defensively and with post ups as he bullies the smaller defenders.
Richardson also on defense.
This may have had something to do with the early season and those 1-2 point losses
Pritchard on offence and in the lane seems to be hampered
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:42:15 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Marcus is mimicing Schrouder
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I don’t know what triggered the change in Smart’s play, but I certainly like it.  Over the last 3 games his 3pt shot attempts are way down. Just a couple per game. He’s taking the ball to the rim more and scoring in the paint where he is quite effective. I don’t have a problem with Marcus getting shots, but just not from deep. He has been playing more like Draymond Green over the last 3 games, averaging 12pts, 6ast, 4reb, and 1TO. Marcus is anchoring the defense, getting his teammates involved and being a glue guy like Green, which is exactly what the team needed.

I’m not sure if this change in play was due to coaching, seeing the unselfish way that Horford plays, or just Marcus figuring things out, but It is great to see.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:45:28 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don’t know what triggered the change in Smart’s play, but I certainly like it.  Over the last 3 games his 3pt shot attempts are way down. Just a couple per game. He’s taking the ball to the rim more and scoring in the paint where he is quite effective. I don’t have a problem with Marcus getting shots, but just not from deep. He has been playing more like Draymond Green over the last 3 games, averaging 12pts, 6ast, 4reb, and 1TO. Marcus is anchoring the defense, getting his teammates involved and being a glue guy like Green, which is exactly what the team needed.

I’m not sure if this change in play was due to coaching, seeing the unselfish way that Horford plays, or just Marcus figuring things out, but It is great to see.

He called out the team’s spoiled stars. They had a team only, since then just look at the results on the court and on the scoreboard. No need to wonder. We all know what happened. He said what needed to be said.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

He called out the team’s spoiled stars. They had a team only, since then just look at the results on the court and on the scoreboard. No need to wonder. We all know what happened. He said what needed to be said.
He was as big of a problem as Tatum/Brown were to start the year, so I don't understand this framing. Maybe he realized that he was close to being done here if he didn't clean up his play, so he finally adapted.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 04:03:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

He was as big of a problem as Tatum/Brown were to start the year, so I don't understand this framing. Maybe he realized that he was close to being done here if he didn't clean up his play, so he finally adapted.
This. He said a lot of stuff about other but it sounded like an intervention of roles on the team. Maybe he saw the light and figured out what he needs to be for this team to be the best version of themselves.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 04:13:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

The section that is bolded is dead on.  Who knows if he has been placed on shorter leash with the bad shots, hard to tell.  I can def say I am a fan of how he has played these last games.  Less shots, more facilitating, more defense, more intangibles.  When he plays like he has lately, he is incredibly valuable to any playoff team as the glue guy, leader on both sides of the ball, and a big time defender. 

He seems to have played better once DS started scoring more.  Probably a coincidence, but maybe not.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

That happened over 3 weeks ago, so why would Marcus suddenly be playing differently over the past 3 games. I’m talking about Smart specifically, not the team as a whole.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't know what triggered the change in Smart's play, but I certainly like it.  Over the last 3 games his 3pt shot attempts are way down. Just a couple per game. He's taking the ball to the rim more and scoring in the paint where he is quite effective. I don't have a problem with Marcus getting shots, but just not from deep. He has been playing more like Draymond Green over the last 3 games, averaging 12pts, 6ast, 4reb, and 1TO. Marcus is anchoring the defense, getting his teammates involved and being a glue guy like Green, which is exactly what the team needed.

I'm not sure if this change in play was due to coaching, seeing the unselfish way that Horford plays, or just Marcus figuring things out, but It is great to see.

He called out the team's spoiled stars. They had a team only, since then just look at the results on the court and on the scoreboard. No need to wonder. We all know what happened. He said what needed to be said.

I disagree with this. Smart wasn't the only problem, but he was the most significant contributor to the 2-5 start. OTOH, no one's improved more since the CHI fiasco and his ill-advised presser.

Smart's 2FG% went from 32% in this first six games to 54% in the last 11 games. He's reduced his 3FGA by 3 per game, but increased his 2FGA by 2. He has also added two assists per game, and raised his Assist/Turnover ratio from 1.8 to 3.9. Smart's 3FG% has decreased slightly, but his recent 2FG% and A/TO ratio are well above his career marks.

He's now playing more like the floor general the Cs need rather than the shooting hero he was ill-equipped to be.