Author Topic: Chet Holmgren awareness thread  (Read 8823 times)

Re: Chet Holmgren awareness thread
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Trading one of our stars for rookie you can only hope become as good as our stars in 3-5 years only sets this team farther back from winning a title.

No thanks to trading either Jay for any of the top 5 prospects in this draft
these are the same people that would find $100 in the street and instead of considering themselves fortunate to have that $100, run to blow it all on lottery tickets thinking that they'll win so much more.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Trading one of our stars for rookie you can only hope become as good as our stars in 3-5 years only sets this team farther back from winning a title.

these are the same people that would find $100 in the street and instead of considering themselves fortunate to have that $100, run to blow it all on lottery tickets thinking that they'll win so much more.

Wrong Slam. You can see the effect on winning that Brown has. He very good. He's not truly special.

Chet has a chance to be special on both ends. The goal is not to be good, the goal is to win it all and we are not on that path with this current core.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Folks in the tape I have seen he is marginal to ok  athlete.

He is weak and lack strength and although he can jump a little he takes a while to gather

He is next unicorn type that people will swoon over

Celtics 4eva. I respect your opinion on athletes. He's a kid where I saw his highlights like you and was not very impressed.

Watch the next Gonzaga game. His skill level is extremely high. Handles it very well, 3.5 bpg  and 3.5 apg to go with 13 ppg 7 rpg for the best team in the country.

My biggest issue is stamina with him.  He's a game changer on both ends if he's playing big minutes towards the end of the year I'm sold.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Start at 2:20 in these highlights last game.

https://youtu.be/6O4qkyReYhE

Jumping ability,  shooting stroke, passing ability,  awesome rim protection.  Kid has it all besides muscles.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 03:58:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kid sort of reminds me of Durant. Tall, lanky, super skinny. For his size, his dribbling and ball handling is kind of amazing.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 04:00:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kid sort of reminds me of Durant. Tall, lanky, super skinny. For his size, his dribbling and ball handling is kind of amazing.
His mentality is nothing like Durant's, sadly. Durant, even as a teenager, knew he was unstoppable. As a skinny teen at Texas he knew he could get 25 points on good efficiency and there was nothing anyone could do to stop him. Holmgren doesn't have that aggression in his game. He also makes KD look chunky
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 04:10:39 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
His mentality is nothing like Durant's, sadly. Durant, even as a teenager, knew he was unstoppable. As a skinny teen at Texas he knew he could get 25 points on good efficiency and there was nothing anyone could do to stop him. Holmgren doesn't have that aggression in his game. He also makes KD look chunky
Probably should have prefaced by saying I didn’t think stylistically he was Durant. More physically. That being said, only a real short glimpse at Holmgren. Plenty of time to improve.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 04:23:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Probably should have prefaced by saying I didn’t think stylistically he was Durant. More physically. That being said, only a real short glimpse at Holmgren. Plenty of time to improve.
Yeah, if/when he realises that realistically nobody can defend his shot he will be a nightmare.

That being said, still waiting for Porzingis to realise that...

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 04:51:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Wrong Slam. You can see the effect on winning that Brown has. He very good. He's not truly special.

Chet has a chance to be special on both ends. The goal is not to be good, the goal is to win it all and we are not on that path with this current core.

This is exactly what people said about Cade Cunningham last year. “He’s the next Luka, guaranteed superstar, etc. How’s that working out? Certainly doesn’t look like one to me. Holmgren is far from a sure thing, if he was, he would be dominating on both ends and putting up more than 13pts, 6rebs, and 3ast per game. Chet’s not even the number one option on his team.

Jaylen on the other hand is a proven NBA all-star who just turned 25 and is still getting better.  Trading him for a player that isn’t dominating at the college level and isn’t a consensus #1 pick would be a terrible idea. He’s not a Lebron, Duncan, Zion, type of prospect.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 05:02:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This is exactly what people said about Cade Cunningham last year. “He’s the next Luka, guaranteed superstar, etc. How’s that working out? Certainly doesn’t look like one to me. Holmgren is far from a sure thing, if he was, he would be dominating on both ends and putting up more than 13pts, 6rebs, and 3ast per game. Chet’s not even the number one option on his team.

Jaylen on the other hand is a proven NBA all-star who just turned 25 and is still getting better.  Trading him for a player that isn’t dominating at the college level and isn’t a consensus #1 pick would be a terrible idea. He’s not a Lebron, Duncan, Zion, type of prospect.
Wembenyama, however, is ;)

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 05:09:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

exactly so KG, you're wrong.  The goal is to win, yes, but giving up an all-star that has continued to improve every year for nothing more than a lottery ticket that you'd be lucky to have turn out to be as good as what you just gave up is foolhardiness.  JKJB. 

unfathomable the persistence to overlook sure money for a one in a million shot to just break even.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

He is weak and lack strength and although he can jump a little he takes a while to gather

Any tall guy who can dribble and shoot from the perimeter is automatically the next unicorn, the next KD. No doubt he has great potential. But I'd like to see how he holds up through the NCAA season first.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Any tall guy who can dribble and shoot from the perimeter is automatically the next unicorn.
Remember high school Thon Maker?

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Any tall guy who can dribble and shoot from the perimeter is automatically the next unicorn.

Now it's his brother Makur  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 06:02:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Now it's his brother Makur  :angel:
Ha, indeed. Makur seems to have a similar amount of mystery surrounding how old he actually is, and whether or not he'll play college ball seriously.