Author Topic: Should Lakers trade Lebron for Simmons based package?  (Read 4970 times)

Re: Should Lakers trade Lebron for Simmons based package?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 04:36:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As I said earlier, if Lebron was fine with being traded, I do think the Lakers would be able to get a better package than Simmons, Maxey, and Thybulle, while also still allowing Lebron to be on a contender.  I mean something like Ayton and Bridges would probably be on the table and I'd much rather have those 2 if I'm the Lakers, especially since that really allows Davis to play PF where he wants to be.  Miami could easily be back in the mix if Riley and Lebron made up.  I could absolutely see Boston putting Brown on the table in that situation and I think the Lakers would much rather have Brown than Simmons (especially with Russ still on the roster).  Porter or Murray is probably available from Denver (and heck maybe Denver would give up both to pair Lebron and Nikola).  Paul George would probably be on the table and Lebron wouldn't even need to leave L.A.

There are just so many potential landing spots that just make more sense than a Philly trade for Simmons.  That said, if Philly really wants a Lebron for Simmons swap, I'd make them take Westbrook also.  Westbrook and James for Harris, Simmons, Thybulle, and Maxey.  That seems like a better value proposition for the Lakers and puts the trade on more equal footing with other trades that would potentially be out there. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Lebron was actually willing to be traded (which will never happen), that is no where near the best package the Lakers could get for him.
Bingo.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 06:48:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kareem was the Lakers leading scorer from 1981-1986 when he was 34-38 years old winning two titles at that time. He was their third leading scorer at almost 18 PPG at 39 years old during their 1987 championship season.

So it's been done before.

I also think Lebron wants to carve out a Lakers legacy beating Kareem's record while being a Laker. So I doubt he would want to be traded. And if Lebron doesn't want to be traded, he won't be. It's that simple.

Kareem was playing with prime Magic Johnson.
So. Kareem was still the #1 scoring option and defensive anchor for those teams through much of his mid to late 30's.

Yeah but Magic was the engine of that team and those championships. The Lakers were pretty pedestrian with Kareem until Magic joined them.

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Kareem was the Lakers leading scorer from 1981-1986 when he was 34-38 years old winning two titles at that time. He was their third leading scorer at almost 18 PPG at 39 years old during their 1987 championship season.

So it's been done before.

I also think Lebron wants to carve out a Lakers legacy beating Kareem's record while being a Laker. So I doubt he would want to be traded. And if Lebron doesn't want to be traded, he won't be. It's that simple.

Kareem was playing with prime Magic Johnson.
So. Kareem was still the #1 scoring option and defensive anchor for those teams through much of his mid to late 30's.

Yeah but Magic was the engine of that team and those championships. The Lakers were pretty pedestrian with Kareem until Magic joined them.
True, but Magic didn't win a title without Kareem, while Kareem won without Magic.  Somewhere around 82 or 83, Magic overtook Kareem as the best player on those teams, but I do think Kareem was the most important player. 

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The 76ers should jump all over that if that was really an option

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 10:57:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The 76ers should jump all over that if that was really an option

That's a championship all-in move.

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 12:10:27 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I could absolutely see Boston putting Brown on the table in that situation and I think the Lakers would much rather have Brown than Simmons.

Really? Counter-point to your point: couldn’t the Cs get more for Brown than LeBron?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 12:27:59 AM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 03:21:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I could absolutely see Boston putting Brown on the table in that situation and I think the Lakers would much rather have Brown than Simmons.

Really? Counter-point to your point: couldn’t the Cs get more for Brown than LeBron?
What? Who is 'more' than LeBron? Luka, Giannis, and Jokic maybe have more trade value. That might be it. LeBron has so much off-court value in terms of revenue that nobody else comes close to.

Plus, a lineup of LeBron-Smart-Tatum-Horford-Williams would be epic.

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 03:46:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

What? Who is 'more' than LeBron? Luka, Giannis, and Jokic maybe have more trade value. That might be it. LeBron has so much off-court value in terms of revenue that nobody else comes close to.

I’m a little surprised people think Lebron has really high trade value. He has been injured for parts of the last 4 seasons. His high since 2017 was 67 games. While I get in a fantasy land if he was traded to memphis or Orlando they would make so much money for a year or two it would be worth it for them to do a circus. But why would the Celtics do brown for Lebron? I don’t think we would even title favorites this year (Warriors and nets with irving would have more talent. Then we are just screwed till Tatum demands a trade after bron retired or is injured two years from now? I really don’t get this.

Also look at his advanced stats. They are basically all worst numbers since rookie season. They are basically a fringe all star level at this point. I get we didn’t see this with Jordan cause he went out on top, but Lebron is nearing the end.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 07:11:07 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Also look at his advanced stats. They are basically all worst numbers since rookie season. They are basically a fringe all star level at this point. I get we didn’t see this with Jordan cause he went out on top, but Lebron is nearing the end.

Agreed in principle, but we did see a quite-washed 38 year old MJ play for the Wizards, and the numbers show a similar stark decline.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 07:55:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I d trade Ol Leturd for Randle .   

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

If all your interested in is off-court value — maybe. On-court, don’t agree.

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think his on court value is pretty apparent as well.  Look at how bad the Lakers are when he hasn't played.  I'd absolutely trade Brown for James even knowing it is a couple of year proposition because I do think it would elevate Boston into a higher contender tier over the next couple of seasons.  James' impact both on and off the court is pretty much undeniable even with his advanced age and knowing he is going to miss games.  And it isn't like Brown is a picture of health either.  They've missed basically the same amount of regular season games over the last 3 seasons, and unlike Brown, James has never missed a playoff game in his career. 

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 04:10:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

If all your interested in is off-court value — maybe. On-court, don’t agree.
I think he's still an excellent player too

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 04:41:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Man, the Celtics could win a couple of titles with LeBron here if they traded Jaylen Brown for him.

Tatum would be an awesome #2 for LeBron. We have Horford. Timelord. Smart. So many pieces that LeBron would work brilliantly well with and LeBron is exactly the sort of playmaking high efficiency offensive hub that this team needs. This team would be awesome with LeBron.

As much as it is a short-term move (3-4yrs of LeBron vs 10-12yrs of Jaylen), I'd find it hard not to do it. LeBron is still that good.