Author Topic: Why does IME insist on starting Marcus over Schroeder?  (Read 6446 times)

Why does IME insist on starting Marcus over Schroeder?
« on: November 20, 2021, 07:49:19 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
For the life of me I don't get this. They have started to find some rhythm with Schroeder starting. When Marcus started they sucked. Marcus only needs to ball in his hands a limited amount of time. Since moving over Marcus has played better as well.

IME goes back to that crap rotation and we will see more fo the same. Mark my words.

Re: Why does IME insist on starting Marcus over Schroeder?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 08:48:37 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Didn't expect a thread like this after his game last night...
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 09:19:33 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

...or after the last couple of weeks. I'm going with Ime on this one.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Did I miss something or wasn't Smart starting all thus time?

Furthermore there is likely more shots for the backup 6th man pg then the starting pg once Brown is back.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I definitely prefer Marcus as a SG/combo guard, so there is some merit to what you are saying. Not sure I have a preference for either one to start over the other. Honestly, they work pretty well together...and that should have been obvious all along, since Marcus has always worked well with a scoring PG.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
Marcus is not a true point guard and he slows to ball and loses to much time. He is much better off the ball and insserting himself in moments that are not clutch. He is playing better, which we need, but for the team I think if he starts the chemistry will go back to has it was before.

My take.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Last six games Marcus averaged 7 assists/game and only 1.5 turnovers. That is very very good. For sure there is not a better option on the current roster.

He definitely holds the ball less than Schroder; makes quicker decisions.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 02:18:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

...or after the last couple of weeks. I'm going with Ime on this one.

For real. That was a very very good performance.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Smart's leading the team in apg and 2nd in the league in spg. Not sure where the op is coming from.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
You all are looking at a small sample size and not the whole picture. Marcus is better with ball in his hands less. Look back to when he started, he bit. There is a reason for that.

Marcus energy put in other places creates a better product. At times he is a key cog to this team.

Overall I'm of the opinion in 30 year or so of watching basketball he is the most overrated player I have seen in green.

His bad performances outweigh his good and he makes way to many mistakes. That said he has showed slow and steady improvement enough to tease.

If he could put this together consistency then well. He is a hard learner though.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 05:40:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart and Schroder play like 6th men. I'd look at match ups on who gets the "start"

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
You all are looking at a small sample size and not the whole picture. Marcus is better with ball in his hands less. Look back to when he started, he bit. There is a reason for that.

Marcus energy put in other places creates a better product. At times he is a key cog to this team.

Overall I'm of the opinion in 30 year or so of watching basketball he is the most overrated player I have seen in green.

His bad performances outweigh his good and he makes way to many mistakes. That said he has showed slow and steady improvement enough to tease.

If he could put this together consistency then well. He is a hard learner though.

30 years of watching doesnt make you an expert.

I actually prefer Smart with the starters because he tends to take a lot of shots when hes with the bench guys. His skillset also fit in with the starters better

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

I've been watching 40 plus years,and he's the most overrated Celtic I've ever seen! I actually think Jrich is just as good! Schroder is on a whole different level!

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Seniority ,  I expect viewed as a leader on court , emotion , coach who loves defense first, and “ He “:has an new contract , and is likely to be seen as continuing Celtic player . These are a few I can think of off hand .

Can’t hand over Team Smart to a Johnny come lately .

Even if Schroeder is playing very very well. …..Mahrcus. Was here first  ;D

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I mean, if you insist on starting the five best players then Schroeder over smart.  But I like the idea of bringing Schroeder off the bench.