Author Topic: Christian Wood  (Read 3386 times)

Christian Wood
« on: November 19, 2021, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Would folks be in on acquiring this guy? Strikes me as an interesting compliment to Williams at center. But I have limited sense of his value.... would Hernangomez, Langford or Pritchard, and a protected pick get it done?

Re: Christian Wood
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure what you mean by a complement to Williams.  Do you mean that the two form the center rotation or do you mean that they play together?

Wood is an interesting player.  I have not seen him play all that much but he puts up decent numbers albeit on bad teams (always a potential flag).  I have no idea what it would take to get HOU interested in trading him but he seems like the kind of young player a team like HOU would want to keep around.

As to the Celtics, if he could play with Williams as a PF I think that would help.  Maybe he could play both PF and C for us in a 3-way rotation with Williams and Horford.  He would be a nice upgrade to our PF rotation (over GWill, JHern, JPark, and BFern), which isn't hard to do.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Wood be an upgrade over anyone upfront
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Wood be an upgrade over anyone upfront
Wouldn't be against trading Timelord + salary filler(s) for Wood. It's a bit tricky to make the salaries work cause of the BYC rule. Here's a trade that works in the trade machine:

Timelord is 2 years younger than Wood. He's also under team control for 3 extra seasons. Not sure whether Houston would do it, but it seems like a fair offer in my book.

It also works with JRich instead of Juancho+Bruno (in case the Rockets are unwilling to do a 3-for-1 trade or/and Wyc is unwilling to pay a bigger tax).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:25:36 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 10:43:03 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Why would Houston want to trade him? He’s 27 26 years old and on a very reasonable contract.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 05:09:52 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Why would Houston want to trade him? He’s 27 years old and on a very reasonable contract.

Because they're terrible, re-building for the future, and likely looking to tank / get picks / get rookie scale players with upside.

No way I'm not trading Williams for him. He offers a totally different skillset to Timelord. Considering Williams has had some difficulty staying healthy, a rotation of he and Wood at center would be desirable.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 12:54:42 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Why would Houston want to trade him? He’s 27 years old and on a very reasonable contract.

Because they're terrible, re-building for the future, and likely looking to tank / get picks / get rookie scale players with upside.

No way I'm not trading Williams for him. He offers a totally different skillset to Timelord. Considering Williams has had some difficulty staying healthy, a rotation of he and Wood at center would be desirable.

He just turned 27 26. That’s too old to be a part of a rebuild? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have him on the team, just don’t see how it makes sense for Houston.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 05:11:18 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd love to get Christian Wood.  I think Ainge had interest a couple years ago, but not enough interest to get something done.  I don't trust Rob to stay healthy through an entire playoff run.  Wood has a lot of skills.  I think he'd fit in nicely.  The Rockets won't give him away for scraps even if he's not going to be a part of their rebuild. 

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 04:47:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wood turned 26 at the end of September, so he almost exactly 2 years older than R. Williams.  Wood is a significantly better player though, stays healthier, and hasn't done anything to stop Houston from tanking.  That doesn't mean Houston wouldn't trade him, but it will take a lot more than Williams for that to happen and they don't exactly need a bunch of a future picks as they own a bunch of them. 

Wood, Gordon for Richardson, Langford, R. Williams, Hernangomez

That makes more sense for Houston as they shave a bunch of salary this year and long term, get a look at Langford and get the longer similar contract in Williams to Wood.  That still might not be enough, but it at least seems like a more reasonable trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Wood turned 26 at the end of September, so he almost exactly 2 years older than R. Williams.  Wood is a significantly better player though, stays healthier, and hasn't done anything to stop Houston from tanking.  That doesn't mean Houston wouldn't trade him, but it will take a lot more than Williams for that to happen and they don't exactly need a bunch of a future picks as they own a bunch of them. 

That makes more sense for Houston as they shave a bunch of salary this year and long term, get a look at Langford and get the longer similar contract in Williams to Wood.  That still might not be enough, but it at least seems like a more reasonable trade.

“Wood is a significantly better player though…” I haven’t seen enough of  Wood to say yeah or nay on that, but I think you’re calling him an all-star. Rob is a very good rotational big who still has room to grow. He is an elite offensive rebounder, a very good rebounder, and an increasingly capable defender. His passing is excellent. I think in two years if he stays healthy Rob will be an all-star or in the next tier, just short of it.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:39:18 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Wood is not an efficient scorer and his advanced defensive numbers suck.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 06:03:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id like Wood for Smart. Maybe Rockets send Smart to a third team. I like Wood and Al starting to spread the floor and still protect the paint. Try and get more Langford and Nesmith development to fill the void. Don’t like the Smart extension and his fit here long term.

Schroder, Brown, Tatum, Wood, Al
PP, Josh, Langford/Nesmith, Grant, TL

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No way I'm (...) trading Williams for him.
You gotta lose something to gain something else. This is how trades work. Other teams aren't stupid. Can't possibly expect from them to trade away their best players for nothing.

Trade #1

Timelord + Pritchard + Juancho for Wood

Why for Houston? Timelord is 2 years younger than Wood, plus he's on a team friendly contract for 3 extra seasons. If Houston is sceptical about paying Wood, they may as well trade him now before he becomes an expiring. Pritchard would provide some cover for Kevin Porter Jr. who's a terrible decision maker in the half court. If Wood ain't available on a reasonable price, I'd be perfectly happy to keep Timelord.

Trade #2

JRich + Nesmith or Romeo + Bruno + BOS 2022 unprotected first for Jerami Grant

Why for Detroit? They get an unprotected first and a recent lotto pick. Not sure whether they like Nesmith/Romeo, but it seems like a fair offer. If Jerami ain't available on a reasonable price, I'd go after Kyle Anderson.

PG: Smart - Schroder
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Jerami
C: Wood - Horford

Sign a couple of battle-hardened vets via the buyout market to close out our playoff rotation. In this scenario, we'd also have G-Will, plus one of Romeo/Nesmith.

PS#1: This team would be way more expensive than our current team. If the past is any indication, Wyc is cheap. He may not be willing to pay the tax.
PS#2: Chances are both Houston and Detroit would say no cause I'm a homer. :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 08:34:47 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Wood is not an efficient scorer and his advanced defensive numbers suck.
Wood's career eFG% is 57.3 and his career TS% is 60.2%.  For a guy with a career 3PT rate of 30% that is a pretty darn efficient scorer.  Now his efficiency is down this year, but Houston is so bad I think it is more of an outlier than the norm.  He is not a + defender, but he is an excellent rebounder. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
No way I'm (...) trading Williams for him.
You gotta lose something to gain something else. This is how trades work. Other teams aren't stupid. Can't possibly expect from them to trade away their best players for nothing.

Trade #1

Timelord + Pritchard + Juancho for Wood

Why for Houston? Timelord is 2 years younger than Wood, plus he's on a team friendly contract for 3 extra seasons. If Houston is sceptical about paying Wood, they may as well trade him now before he becomes an expiring. Pritchard would provide some cover for Kevin Porter Jr. who's a terrible decision maker in the half court. If Wood ain't available on a reasonable price, I'd be perfectly happy to keep Timelord.

Trade #2

JRich + Nesmith or Romeo + Bruno + BOS 2022 unprotected first for Jerami Grant

Why for Detroit? They get an unprotected first and a recent lotto pick. Not sure whether they like Nesmith/Romeo, but it seems like a fair offer. If Jerami ain't available on a reasonable price, I'd go after Kyle Anderson.

PG: Smart - Schroder
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Jerami
C: Wood - Horford

Sign a couple of battle-hardened vets via the buyout market to close out our playoff rotation. In this scenario, we'd also have G-Will, plus one of Romeo/Nesmith.

PS#1: This team would be way more expensive than our current team. If the past is any indication, Wyc is cheap. He may not be willing to pay the tax.
PS#2: Chances are both Houston and Detroit would say no cause I'm a homer. :P

Nope. Not trading Williams.