Author Topic: Tyrese Haliburton  (Read 3313 times)

Tyrese Haliburton
« on: November 17, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
What would it take to land him? Kings are a mess -- too many guards who don't fit together. I'm not trading Tatum, Brown or Williams for him. Would they be interested in a Smart deal? He strikes me as a better fit with Fox than TH.

Also assume they're open to trading Hield, though I see him moving the needle far less.

Re: Tyrese Haliburton
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:50:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Considering I just saw an article saying that the Kings may be keeping Bagley so they can use his salary in a bigger future trade makes me thing Haliburton only goes out in a deal for the Kings to condense talent into a single player.

If that is the case, I don't think Boston has the type of deal that would interest them.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Rumors circulating about Simmons as a fit there. But seems to me he's a pretty poor fit with either Fox or Haliburton....

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 01:00:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I hear you mate. Knew Haliburton was gonna be good. I suggested moving all three firsts that year to go get him.

Nesmith
Prichard
Desmond Bane

Of course we trade the best player of them all in Bane.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
All of the following comes with the caveat that the Kings are incompetent and may do dumb things for dumb reasons at any moment.  With that out of the way, there are several problems with this premise. 

First, the Kings have a logjam at the guard positions... which you propose to fix by trading them another guard.  How does that help them?

Second, you suggest that Smart - a player with little off-ball value who cannot shoot - will somehow be a better fit next to Fox.  Why?  And why trade for Smart, newly signed to a hefty extension, when they just drafted Davion Mitchell?

Lastly, to get something good, you need to give up something good.  Tyrese Haliburton is a solid player still on his rookie contract.  Smart isn't getting a conversation started.  Given that you've taken the Jays and Rob - the only three players on our roster with any substantial value to a rebuilding team - off the table, I don't think you can expect to acquire Haliburton.

Hield is probably a more realistic target at least, but that still doesn't alter the fact that the Kings don't need Smart. 

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We could have a use for a pass-first, low-usage, oversized PG. Haliburton checks all the boxes. I absolutely love his game. That said, I believe he's overrated right now. I bet the Kings view him as a future All-Star. I view him as a role player. He ain't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot. Hopefully, he'll become available in a few years' time if he fails to meet the Kings' (unrealistic) expectations.

I'm not trading Williams for him.
I'd happily trade Timelord for Haliburton. Both are role players in my book. It's easier to find a rim runner than a pass-first, oversized PG. Not to mention, Timelord is injury prone. Don't think the Kings would pull the trigger though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 01:28:13 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I was completely wrong about Haliburton. He's a good player. I'd love to have him on this team, but I don't see it happening. There's just not a good deal to make there right now.

Also agree that Simmons doesn't fit with Sacramento as they currently sit.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 02:32:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was reading some comments on a Sactown Royalty comment section and one about whether the Kings might move Fox if the Kings struggle this season for Ben Simmons (from a Philly fan).

The more I thought about the more I liked it.

G - Haliburton
G - Hield
F - H.Barnes
F - B.Simmons

That would actually be a very fun four man group to watch. They have the shooting power to surround Simmons with. Simmons would be the glue guy extraordinaire to boost their defense, rebounding, ball movement and interior scoring. Richaun Holmes even fits as a stretch five next to Simmons with his shot-blocking and outside shooting.

My first reaction was against this trade idea as unrealistic and not worth it for Sacramento but the longer I thought about it the more I liked it.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 03:16:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I was reading some comments on a Sactown Royalty comment section and one about whether the Kings might move Fox if the Kings struggle this season for Ben Simmons (from a Philly fan).

The more I thought about the more I liked it.

G - Haliburton
G - Hield
F - H.Barnes
F - B.Simmons

That would actually be a very fun four man group to watch. They have the shooting power to surround Simmons with. Simmons would be the glue guy extraordinaire to boost their defense, rebounding, ball movement and interior scoring. Richaun Holmes even fits as a stretch five next to Simmons with his shot-blocking and outside shooting.

My first reaction was against this trade idea as unrealistic and not worth it for Sacramento but the longer I thought about it the more I liked it.
The Kings have missed out on the playoffs for 15 straight seasons, tied for the longest playoff drought in NBA history. Assuming they wanna end this drought asap, why not target Tobi as well? Chances are the Sixers would be happy to dump his albatross for the right price. It would probably have to be a 3-way trade in order for the salaries to work.

PG: Haliburton
SG: Hield
SF: Barnes
PF: Tobi
C: Simmons

6th man: Davion Mitchell

I'd love to watch this team play. Btw, Holmes ain't a stretch 5, he's a rim runner. He has attempted three 3s in 14 games this season.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 03:24:33 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
All of the following comes with the caveat that the Kings are incompetent and may do dumb things for dumb reasons at any moment.  With that out of the way, there are several problems with this premise. 

First, the Kings have a logjam at the guard positions... which you propose to fix by trading them another guard.  How does that help them?

Second, you suggest that Smart - a player with little off-ball value who cannot shoot - will somehow be a better fit next to Fox.  Why?  And why trade for Smart, newly signed to a hefty extension, when they just drafted Davion Mitchell?

Lastly, to get something good, you need to give up something good.  Tyrese Haliburton is a solid player still on his rookie contract.  Smart isn't getting a conversation started.  Given that you've taken the Jays and Rob - the only three players on our roster with any substantial value to a rebuilding team - off the table, I don't think you can expect to acquire Haliburton.

Hield is probably a more realistic target at least, but that still doesn't alter the fact that the Kings don't need Smart.

I actually didn't suggest it -- i asked a question.

To your point, if they had Fox, why'd they draft Haliburton? If they had Fox and Haliburton, why'd they draft Mitchell? And considering all 3, why the smoke / fire rumors about Simmons to SAC?

I think ruling out Smart to a place like SAC strictly on the basis of fit may be too much. But i agree with you it's hard to imagine them yielding Tyrese for him without a larger package of value.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 04:20:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I think a SAC PHL deal for Simmons is a real possibility (as real as any of the equally unlikely but possible scenarios).  There are two direct deals that could work

Simmons for Hield and Haliburton
or
Simmons for Hield and Bagley

Philly is probably asking for Fox plus who knows what and SAC is saying no but sooner or later, Philly will have to recalibrate their expectation.  The problem though is that Philly doesn't really want young players like Bagley and Haliburton, they want players they can plug in right now.

The Celtics could take either Bagley (would need to employ the Fournier TPE) or Haliburton (maybe even both) and offer Schroder to go to Philly.  Schroder and Hield are two nice vets that they can plug in right away.  SAC gets Simmons who could potentially change the trajectory of their team.

Boston looses Schroder, a player who is helping us now but we are restricted in our ability to sign beyond this season.  Bagley and/or Haliburton are players that could be around a while and help reinforce our young core.

So best case for Celtics:

SAC gets Simmons
BOS gets Haliburton and Bagley
PHI gets Hield and Schroder

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 04:36:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I think a SAC PHL deal for Simmons is a real possibility (as real as any of the equally unlikely but possible scenarios).  There are two direct deals that could work

or

Philly is probably asking for Fox plus who knows what and SAC is saying no but sooner or later, Philly will have to recalibrate their expectation.  The problem though is that Philly doesn't really want young players like Bagley and Haliburton, they want players they can plug in right now.

The Celtics could take either Bagley (would need to employ the Fournier TPE) or Haliburton (maybe even both) and offer Schroder to go to Philly.  Schroder and Hield are two nice vets that they can plug in right away.  SAC gets Simmons who could potentially change the trajectory of their team.

Boston looses Schroder, a player who is helping us now but we are restricted in our ability to sign beyond this season.  Bagley and/or Haliburton are players that could be around a while and help reinforce our young core.

SAC gets Simmons

I would love this trade for us.  (These two teams could probably do the deal without us though.)   It wouldn't be about this year for us anymore, but for 1-2 years down the road. 

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Thing is, Maxey is playing great this season averaging ~18/4/4 on .605 TS%. Not to mention, he commits only 1.4 t/o per game. Don't think Fox and Maxey would be a nice fit playing next to each other. Plenty of Philly fans were in favor of a Simmons-Fox swap prior to the start of the season. Maxey's recent performances may have changed their mind.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 05:02:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

or

SAC gets Simmons

I would love this trade for us.  (These two teams could probably do the deal without us though.)   It wouldn't be about this year for us anymore, but for 1-2 years down the road.

I agree, they don't absolutely need us to do a deal but don't you think Schroder would be a good fit for Philly (along with Hield) and that they would prefer a vet who can help now over a promising young player in Haliburton (I am assuming that Bagley isn't all that much value to Philly)?

Schroder can't be traded until Dec 15 and even Hield and Schroder is a lot less than Philly seems to be trying to get for Simmons so who knows.  To me though, Hield and Schroder would be pretty good for Philly for Simmons, the question is at what point are they going to realize this.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 05:59:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

or

SAC gets Simmons

I agree, they don't absolutely need us to do a deal but don't you think Schroder would be a good fit for Philly (along with Hield) and that they would prefer a vet who can help now over a promising young player in Haliburton (I am assuming that Bagley isn't all that much value to Philly)?

Schroder can't be traded until Dec 15 and even Hield and Schroder is a lot less than Philly seems to be trying to get for Simmons so who knows.  To me though, Hield and Schroder would be pretty good for Philly for Simmons, the question is at what point are they going to realize this.

Yeah if Philly were able to get Hield and Schroder for a player who hasn't played all year, and isn't going to play for them ever again, that is a complete win for them.  They get a good 3 point shooter to space the floor with Buddy, and DS can give them penetration and speed on the perimeter.