Author Topic: Staples Center renamed to Crypto dot com  (Read 2984 times)

Re: Staples Center renamed to Crypto dot com
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 01:28:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Waste of money.  Has some serious Sears Tower/Willis Tower vibes to it.
Fleetcenter?!?!🤣

Shawmut Center?  CMGI Field?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
LA Gangs
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 02:25:48 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Waste of money.  Has some serious Sears Tower/Willis Tower vibes to it.
Fleetcenter?!?!🤣
One better, Shawmut Center!  #facepalm!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Can we all pause and reflect that an office supply retailer (Staples) and a major US airline (AA) have had their names replaced on NBA arenas by cryptocurrency trading platforms? If this crypto thing explodes, we will look back on this as the pets.com equivalent of the late-90s tech bubble.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Is crypto currency really that big?  I've been under a rock....

Consider that it's largely unregulated FinTech, so while the average consumer perception may be fairly low, the insane amounts of money that exists in that sector ensures that there's definitely the capital to throw into stunts like this.

At the local convenience store near me, which is not exactly frequented by stock brokers and white collar types, there is a crypto currency ATM. Just stick your credit card and buy some after you've picked up your spam and microwave burrito. That should tell you something about how big it's gotten.

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

Consider that it's largely unregulated FinTech, so while the average consumer perception may be fairly low, the insane amounts of money that exists in that sector ensures that there's definitely the capital to throw into stunts like this.

At the local convenience store near me, which is not exactly frequented by stock brokers and white collar types, there is a crypto currency ATM. Just stick your credit card and buy some after you've picked up your spam and microwave burrito. That should tell you something about how big it's gotten.

Same thing at the decades old liquor store around the corner from me (and not the fancy wine and cheese shop a half mile away).

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 04:39:27 PM »

Kiorrik

It's been growing for ages obviously, but Elon Musk tweeting about it really made it boom beyond proportions.

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
soooo…..for ever more

It’s the

“ creep toe center “

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 01:53:05 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Over 3 trill market cap (at least before this recent mini crash) and growing

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 06:00:10 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Same thing at the decades old liquor store around the corner from me (and not the fancy wine and cheese shop a half mile away).

As the aphorism goes:
A few years ago I had a cab driver telling me all about how it was the right time to buy bitcoin. No disrespect to the cab driver, but that is exactly when I knew that it was not the right time to buy bitcoin.

Crypto ATMs are not new - and the transaction fees are usually pretty high as well. I would say they're mostly predatory, to be honest, and functionally not that much different on a consumer level from scratch tickets, which largely explains their placements.

It's my mistake though: I should have said that the consumer perception is low information. In other words, thanks to the skyrocketing valuation of btc and the headlines & hucksters, people know what it is, but not very many people are really that keyed in to the best way to use it (if there are any, which I'm not sure about either).

So, sure, most people "know what crypto is" - but I suspect many regard it as digital gold, if you will: an asset that has value (if you ignore volatility). Just like NFTs, which are little more than rebranded Beanie Babies, if you remember that craze.

That said, there is serious money behind a lot of these operations, which is how we wound up with Crypto dot com getting the naming convention over Staples.

---------------------
However Robin Lopez has the best take on this, I think:
https://twitter.com/rolopez42/status/1461001498196905992
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.