Author Topic: Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…  (Read 6167 times)

Re: Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2021, 10:29:39 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Also it's funny to me that despite all that's happened in recent years there still seem to be posters here defending and/or saying they wouldn't mind Simmons or hell, even Kyrie here again. Sadly they probably aren't even trolling either.

Again, if PHI has just traded Simmons this summer, he would be tearing it up for another franchise, and all of this made up drama would have never existed. So the dude passed to a teammate instead of  taking a lay-up in a playoff game. Geez. Both Simmons and PHI have been overly stubborn in this case and this is the end result. Well, not end result. He will eventually be traded and very likely go on to have an excellent career, and PHI will get something for him. Comparing Simmons to Kyrie seems off-base.

That’s true to a degree — PHI was being absurd holding out for some offer that obviously was never going to come.  But it’s not like it’s just about one unmade pass.  He was getting benched down the stretch of some games because he shot 30% from the line.  The stories about Simmons being a bad teammate are not new.  The lack of improvement from one year to the next has been observed by everyone in the league.

Simmons has as much talent as any player in the history of the game.  He doesn’t have a fraction of the drive as most NBA players, however, and he’s not likely to gain it at 25.  If he’s in the right spot where he can be the #3 or #4 player on a team, and accept that, he could thrive.  But as a #1 or #2 — no way.

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Also it's funny to me that despite all that's happened in recent years there still seem to be posters here defending and/or saying they wouldn't mind Simmons or hell, even Kyrie here again. Sadly they probably aren't even trolling either.

Again, if PHI has just traded Simmons this summer, he would be tearing it up for another franchise, and all of this made up drama would have never existed. So the dude passed to a teammate instead of  taking a lay-up in a playoff game. Geez. Both Simmons and PHI have been overly stubborn in this case and this is the end result. Well, not end result. He will eventually be traded and very likely go on to have an excellent career, and PHI will get something for him. Comparing Simmons to Kyrie seems off-base.

That’s true to a degree — PHI was being absurd holding out for some offer that obviously was never going to come.  But it’s not like it’s just about one unmade pass.  He was getting benched down the stretch of some games because he shot 30% from the line.  The stories about Simmons being a bad teammate are not new.  The lack of improvement from one year to the next has been observed by everyone in the league.

Simmons has as much talent as any player in the history of the game.  He doesn’t have a fraction of the drive as most NBA players, however, and he’s not likely to gain it at 25.  If he’s in the right spot where he can be the #3 or #4 player on a team, and accept that, he could thrive.  But as a #1 or #2 — no way.

I definitely agree. I said it earlier in the thread that Simmons would make a great #3 next to two great scorers. Some have thrown out Beal's name as an ideal possibility, but Moranis named McCollum as somebody who might be a more realistic target w/ who we'd have left to trade.

Again, I am in no hurry to trade Brown for Simmons, or even a package including Simmons, I'm just saying it's not as ridiculous as people are making it seem. We are only talking about him because he is [extremely] available. I'd rather go for someone like Siakam...but again, not looking to deal Brown.

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I have to say that I'm really grateful to the people coming out and saying that they want to trade Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons.

It's very clarifying as to whose opinions on basketball are worth entertaining.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2021, 02:58:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
To jambr's point if Thybulle would have just hit that shot and gotten an and 1, would any of this happened?  I mean think about that, sure you might here a bit from the media about Simmons turning down a shot, but if the team ended up with 3 points, maybe it shakes out differently.  Heck, if he would have just hit both free throws, maybe it turns out differently.  And seriously, everyone wants to talk about how weak Simmons' mind is, but last time I checked, it was 88-87 after Thybulle made that 2nd FT, with the Sixers at home and 3.5 minutes left.  They got outscored 15-9 down the stretch to lose by 7 and the only times Atlanta did not score in that stretch were a steal by Simmons and a charge drawn by Curry.  Play some defense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2021, 03:18:39 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
To jambr's point if Thybulle would have just hit that shot and gotten an and 1, would any of this happened?  I mean think about that, sure you might here a bit from the media about Simmons turning down a shot, but if the team ended up with 3 points, maybe it shakes out differently.  Heck, if he would have just hit both free throws, maybe it turns out differently.  And seriously, everyone wants to talk about how weak Simmons' mind is, but last time I checked, it was 88-87 after Thybulle made that 2nd FT, with the Sixers at home and 3.5 minutes left.  They got outscored 15-9 down the stretch to lose by 7 and the only times Atlanta did not score in that stretch were a steal by Simmons and a charge drawn by Curry.  Play some defense.

This ^^^^

Narrative has flipped on Simmons, but he's still an immense talent. Too bad that Morey knows better than narrative. If it were David Griffin as the GM of the Sixers, I would think he would be traded for pennies already.