Author Topic: Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…  (Read 6173 times)

Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…
« on: November 09, 2021, 06:48:44 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
1. He is a generational talent and fulfills a need (PG) that is glaring.

2. He can play four positions and is a + defender.

3. We can replace Jaylen with Bradley Beal in free agency.

4. A team outlined below are legitimate contenders and breaks us through the treadmill feeling we’ve all experienced the last decade:

Ben Simmons
Bradley Beal
Jayson Tatum
Al Horford
Robert Williams III

Re: Here’s why I’m in on Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons…
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 08:08:29 AM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
God I hope you are a troll. This is such a painful take.

Please, describe how we can replace Jaylen with Bradley Beal. Id love to hear you talk about the financial mechanics of that.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:36:08 AM »

• Al Horford
Attracting Beal here I’m assuming wouldn’t be the challenge. Tatum and he seemingly want to play together.

Cap maneuvering would be the biggest hurdle. The easiest path to aligning on my plan would be to trade for Beal at the deadline. Marcus Smart + young assets + 1st round picks could be a deadline deal if Washington is going to lose him in free agency which it appears is highly likely. Smart’s contract is going to prove to be an asset not a liability for a young rebuilding team.

Waiving Horford from the 2nd year of his contract (which is non-guaranteed) and signing him to a team friendly deal would be the second part of the equation. I have confidence Al wants to be here so this seems to be a high likelihood.

Robert Williams might be a casualty in the Washington trade to make it sweeter for the Wizards.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
JKJB

Just Keep Jaylen Brown

Also, Ben Simmons isn't close to being a generational talent. Heck, a case can be that all of the following players in his draft class are now better players than he is now:

Brandon Ingram
Jaylen Brown
Jamal Murray
Domantas Sabonis
Pascal Siakam
Malcolm Brogdon

And Fred VanVleet who came into the league as an undrafted free agent that year.

There is no way Simmons is a generational talent.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »

• Al Horford
Another point to increase the trade package for the Beal trade would be to utilize the $17.1m trade exception for a valuable asset who could be packaged with Smart and picks. Think Markannen, Dinwiddie, Aaron Gordon among other targets.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1.  Simmons’ talent isn’t “generational”;

2.  There’s no real path to signing Beal

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Ben Simmons is closer to Markelle Fultz than generational.

Keep Tatum and Jaylen as long as you can. It's going to be hard to replace them in FA.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 08:57:46 AM »

• Al Horford
1.  Simmons’ talent isn’t “generational”;

2.  There’s no real path to signing Beal

Trading for a player who has a $17m contract and packing that with Smart + Williams III could yield you Beal at the trade deadline. We would have Bird Rights and could/would go into luxury to sign and extend Beal once he is on our team.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Just for some clarity.

Simmons is 25 and already has 3 all star, 1 3rd Team All NBA, 2 1st Team all Defense, 1 season with MVP votes (12th), 2 seasons with DPOY votes (2nd and 4th), along with the ROY and 1st team all rookie

Brown is 25 and has just 1 all star, along with 2nd team all rookie

It is pretty easy to focus on Simmons' shooting flaws and his personality and not pay attention to just how good a basketball player he actually is on the floor.  The media and coaches understand how good he is and what he is, which is why they keep voting him onto things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 09:17:33 AM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
Let’s revisit the fact here that the financials don’t make sense.

None of your proposed scenarios make sense either.

Can we please stop debating this in all formats?

It’s literally an exercise in insanity.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 09:20:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just for some clarity.

Simmons is 25 and already has 3 all star, 1 3rd Team All NBA, 2 1st Team all Defense, 1 season with MVP votes (12th), 2 seasons with DPOY votes (2nd and 4th), along with the ROY and 1st team all rookie

It is pretty easy to focus on Simmons' shooting flaws and his personality and not pay attention to just how good a basketball player he actually is on the floor.  The media and coaches understand how good he is and what he is, which is why they keep voting him onto things.
Just for some clarity

Simmons got almost all those accolades before last season. Simmons game has been stagnant to regressive since his rookie year. Meanwhile, players that started out worse than Simmons from that draft class have improved every year and are now better players than Simmons. I listed some earlier.

The media , coaches and front office guys understand how much his game has stagnated and regressed, know why Simmons isn't valued as high as most of them as a trade asset and know why Philly can't get a player like them in return in a trade. That stagnation and regression is also why Philly wants to trade him.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:36:43 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Just for some clarity.

Just for some clarity

Simmons got almost all those accolades before last season. Simmons game has been stagnant to regressive since his rookie year. Meanwhile, players that started out worse than Simmons from that draft class have improved every year and are now better players than Simmons. I listed some earlier.

The media , coaches and front office guys understand how much his game has stagnated and regressed, know why Simmons isn't valued as high as most of them as a trade asset and know why Philly can't get a player like them in return in a trade. That stagnation and regression is also why Philly wants to trade him.
Last season, Simmons was an all star, 1st team All Defense, finished 2nd in DPOY voting, and finished 12th in MVP voting.  So yeah, you are just wrong on when he received those accolades.  And for the record, he averaged basically 14/7/7 with eFG% of 56 and TS% of 58.4.  Brown has never had an eFG% above 55.8 in a full season (last year) and his career best full season TS% was also last year at 58.6. 

No one should ever mistake Simmons for a scorer or shooter, that is clearly not his game, but he does pretty much everything else on the basketball floor at an above average to elite level, which is why the media and coaches keep voting for him for the all star game and post season teams and awards.

I'm not saying I would trade Brown for Simmons as I'm really not sure what I would do if Philly called and that was the offer straight up with nothing else, but I also think it is a lot closer discussion point than this board wants to recognize.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just for some clarity.

Just for some clarity

Last season, Simmons was an all star, 1st team All Defense, finished 2nd in DPOY voting, and finished 12th in MVP voting.  So yeah, you are just wrong on when he received those accolades.  And for the record, he averaged basically 14/7/7 with eFG% of 56 and TS% of 58.4.  Brown has never had an eFG% above 55.8 in a full season (last year) and his career best full season TS% was also last year at 58.6. 

No one should ever mistake Simmons for a scorer or shooter, that is clearly not his game, but he does pretty much everything else on the basketball floor at an above average to elite level, which is why the media and coaches keep voting for him for the all star game and post season teams and awards.

I'm not saying I would trade Brown for Simmons as I'm really not sure what I would do if Philly called and that was the offer straight up with nothing else, but I also think it is a lot closer discussion point than this board wants to recognize.

The other thing to look at is how they perform in the playoffs.   

I would take Simmons as a third star to play PF for the team as long as they have shooting from the C position and more shooting at the PG position.   

I would not take Simmons at the 2nd and only star next to Tatum at this point.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 09:59:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I was on the Kyrie band Wagon back when .   Hoping DA would pull the trigger .  I was fooled just like Danny .   

Kyrie introduced me to a whole new level of spoiled diva …..basic nut case . He was more than the queen diva Lebron could even appease.

Simmons whole track from HS has seemed to show he was going to be eccentric loner type with a ever increasing opinion of himself and his value .  But definedby a poor work and effort mentality and a plain lazy slacker , not even willing to improve shooting the most basic basketball shot,  asimple free throw , as a want to be guard no less.   He reeks of somebody who is not a basketball driven type guy ,  just money is his gig.  I admit the talent possibilities are there as a physical specimen ,  but his head just isn’t into being  great .  Maybe he likes music , I don’tknow , but basketball doesn’t seem to really be important other than the millions he can make looking like somebody who should be a star. 

Celtics would be sitting themselves up for Kyrie 2.0 , maybe worse …..and Doc might not come to to rescue when Ime is kaput , since Simmons and Doc are not friends .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:10:25 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 10:00:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Smart, J-Rich, Nesmith other salary filler and a few protected picks.  That's my final offer.