Author Topic: Can we grab Lauri Markkanen for a first?  (Read 3379 times)

Re: Can we grab Lauri Markkanen for a first?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
We’re young as it is… Look at the list of teams that go deep into the playoffs every season and you’ll see depth charts full of veterans with rare exception. Resources have to go to players that know who they are, what their role is, and aren’t still “figuring it out”.

I love finding undervalued players/assets before their breakout, but this isn’t that time anymore, it’s veteran and maturation time. The Suns went from lottery team to #2 and the Finals because of CP3, Crowder, and the maturation of Booker, Bridges, and Ayton. The Bucks traded multiple 1sts to replace one veteran with another.

My suggestions are matching salary plus multiple 1sts for one of Ingles/Barnes/Van Vleet, 1 1st for one of Nance or Covington, and 2 2nds for Thad Young and 1 2nd for Millsap.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Zero chance Utah trade Ingles for a pick. They are contenders.

Van Vleet trade would require an established prospect and two picks.

Barnes could be possible, but not sure he fits.

Are Thad or Millsap an upgrade over Grant? Maybe.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 10:01:18 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I really like the idea of trying to acquire VanVleet.

What about: Jrich, Hernangomez, and Nesmith (or pritchard) whichever they prefer for VanVleet? We'd send out picks too.

Smart, VanVleet, Brown, Tatum, Horford - Starters
Bench: Schroeder, RWIII, Langford, Grant, and Nesmith or Pritchard.

That's 10 solid guys.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd rather get somebody like Hield than Markannen. I don't like Markannen alongside other bigs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I'd rather get somebody like Hield than Markannen. I don't like Markannen alongside other bigs
I think he'd be fine as a forward next to Tatum.  They do different things both offensively and defensively.  Markkanen isn't great, but he is probably a better option in that role than anyone currently on the roster.  So if it didn't cost very much to acquire him, I'd be fine with that, but I wouldn't pay all that much or give up any high level assets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think he'd be fine as a forward next to Tatum.  They do different things both offensively and defensively.  Markkanen isn't great, but he is probably a better option in that role than anyone currently on the roster.  So if it didn't cost very much to acquire him, I'd be fine with that, but I wouldn't pay all that much or give up any high level assets.
Maybe, but I like him best as a 5 with a bunch of high-level defensive forwards around him. I think a team like Toronto would be the ultimate fit for him in that role.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 03:24:27 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Zero chance Utah trade Ingles for a pick. They are contenders.

Van Vleet trade would require an established prospect and two picks.

Barnes could be possible, but not sure he fits.

Are Thad or Millsap an upgrade over Grant? Maybe.

With Ingles being in the last season in his contract, due for a raise, and Bogdanovic, O’Neale, and, newly signed, Rudy Gay overlapping positions and signed beyond this season, your zero chance proclamation means zilch. Matching salary means player(s) and a pick, Richardson and 1-2 1sts is fair value.

Van Vleet has already been the 3rd/4th best player on a title team, he’s competitive, clutch, and carries himself well, I’d consider trading Pritchard and Nesmith for him.

Barnes has been playing the 3 and stretch 4 since Golden State, he still moves well and only gotten stronger since then. He’s versatile, last thing you’d hear about him is that he doesn’t fit in.

With Thad and Millsap it’s more about the veteran presence to strengthen this team’s leadership, toughness, chemistry, and focus. This team needs to get older, even if he doesn’t play minutes during the season. Young teams need the Jared Dudley’s, Haslem’s, and those types of players.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Maybe, but I like him best as a 5 with a bunch of high-level defensive forwards around him. I think a team like Toronto would be the ultimate fit for him in that role.
That is fair, I'd just have no problems with a Robert Williams, Lauri Markkanen, Jayson Tatum front court.  I think that would work pretty well together.  Add in Brown and Schroder and that is a very good start to a contender (though unfortunately Schroder is probably not around long term).  I'd prefer someone better than Markkanen, but if it is basically just the TPE and a 1st, you pretty much of have to do that.  You start adding more value than that for Lauri, it becomes a lot harder to justify and I do think it would take more than that for the Cavs to move him, so I don't think it is all that realistic.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:22:13 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 10:16:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Getting Markkanen for just a first round pick to me would be a very good deal but this question got me thinking of just where Markkanen ranks.  I consider him a PF but a true big PF who can play center in some line ups vs. a PF that is more of a swing.  There are not a lot of really high level players fit this (ranked below by scoring):

1.  Giannis
2.  A. Davis
3.  Randle
4.  Adebayo
5.  Porzingis
6.  Harrell
7.  J. Grant
8.  Siakam
9.  Collins
10. Wood
11. Holmes
12. Horford
13. Markkanen

So is Markkanen a top 15 PF?  After the top 4-5, the next 10 or so are pretty bunched together.  Horford as been a very pleasant surprise for us but Markkanen is better than any of our other bigs.