Author Topic: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?  (Read 20032 times)

Why did we extend Josh Richardson?
« on: October 25, 2021, 08:56:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm worried about the guy, and he's not somebody I want taking up $12 million of payroll next season.  Was it a mistake to give him an extension?  Should he be getting minutes over Nesmith?  What skills does he have that he isn't showing right now?

Somebody should start the twin "Why did we extend Marcus Smart?" thread, because he's playing almost as badly.  I'm starting to miss the "dump everybody to create cap space" times.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 09:01:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I'm worried about the guy, and he's not somebody I want taking up $12 million of payroll next season.  Was it a mistake to give him an extension?  Should he be getting minutes over Nesmith?  What skills does he have that he isn't showing right now?

Somebody should start the twin "Why did we extend Marcus Smart?" thread, because he's playing almost as badly.  I'm starting to miss the "dump everybody to create cap space" times.

Roy we are giving these guys 50 minutes of game time now?

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:10:12 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Because they couldn’t sign Fournier whose a much better fit for God knows what reason…

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 09:11:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Roy we are giving these guys 50 minutes of game time now?

They're professionals.  They should be prepared to play.  I think it's fair to question whether guaranteeing $12 million to a guy who has been on a steady downward trajectory was a good idea.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 09:11:54 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Considering what they are paying NBA players nowadays I think we got a bargain. He's hitting his shots and can be  pesky defender.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:18:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Considering what they are paying NBA players nowadays I think we got a bargain. He's hitting his shots and can be  pesky defender.

He's averaging 6 points per game, and missed one game entirely with a pre-existing health condition.  He hit his shots in one game, and is 3 for 10 overall (1 for 7 from 3PT) in the other two.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 09:19:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be so thrilled if we could package Smart and Richardson for someone..
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Trade chip would be my guess
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 10:17:37 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I'm of the understanding that we let Fournier walk so we could extend Smart and sign Richardson...if so I'm not understanding.  We really need a consistent three point shooter and 3rd scorer on this team. 

Meanwhile Fornier is averaging 19 PPG on 41% shooting over his first three games with the Knicks and was a huge contributor to our opening night loss to the Knicks.

I maintain that the only moves I actually like from Brad so far are the Horford trade and Schroeder signing, and the latter was a complete fluke.

Alas, the team is still new.  New coach, lots of new players...I'll give them 10 games or so to build chemistry before I get too critical.

And yes, Smart has been absolutely terrible.  He's averaging 7 points per 36 while shooting 29% from the field and attempting his usual 6-7 three point attempts per game.  Extending him was a bad idea.  Extending him for >$20M per season takes that idea from bad to horrendous - especially given that Fournier was reportedly happy to sign for similar money. 

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:35:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
When Fournier was acquired at the trade deadline, it was pretty apparent that the team was either going to keep him or Smart, but not both.  The team chose Smart, which imo was the correct call even if Smart drives me crazy.  As for the Richardson extension, they added the year, so they could trade him next summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
He’s not getting a lot of opportunity, but he’s shooting 45%+ from both the field and 3pt thus far. Solid defender, can guard the 1-3 and is still only 28 years old. Why wouldn’t you extend him another year for $12m.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He’s not getting a lot of opportunity, but he’s shooting 45%+ from both the field and 3pt thus far. Solid defender, can guard the 1-3 and is still only 28 years old. Why wouldn’t you extend him another year for $12m.

Because his play has declined four years in a row.  There’s no need to pay an above-MLE extension to a player that offers barely more than vet minimum production.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I tell you what, celtic fans aren't happy with anything. We finally have depth with a tough-nosed defender on the wing that can make some offensive plays and now there are complaints about is contract.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 11:27:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Because his play has declined four years in a row.  There’s no need to pay an above-MLE extension to a player that offers barely more than vet minimum production.

He hasn’t been in decline for 4 years in a row. Richardson had his best year during the 2018-19 Season and he’s been on a new team for 3 consecutive years. It’s too early to tell if he will be a better fit in Boston, but I think Brad signing him to a reasonable contract when he could was the right call. Smart’s contract on the other hand is making me a bit queasy, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 12:46:09 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Because his floor is a solid and versatile defensive player that can guard 1-3 (and even 4s on switches) without help and any coverage that the coaches call for. Stevens respected Richardson as a competitor for the past 6 years with 5 being in the East, and Udoka and Horford probably vouched for him from their experience with him on the Sixers.

I haven’t liked Richardson’s minutes either, but I understand that this is a new team, role, and we’re only 4 games into the season with 78 to go and plenty of time for that to change. We’re not in a position that we have to play Nesmith (who has not been good this season).

Having Richardson instead of Fournier guarantees we won’t have a player on the court who’ll get targeted and shredded in the playoffs (which is what every decision must come down to). Thibodeau is already giving more of Fournier’s minutes to Alec Burks and Quickley. 3 games in and Burks is already taking the lion’s share of 4th quarter minutes, that does not bode well for him in NY.