Author Topic: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?  (Read 15699 times)

Re: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
LOL at yall bashing China on your made in China computers.

I find it quite rich that Kanter was protesting China’s treatment of Tibet, with what looked like Chinese made shoes.

Kanter also forgets that a large portion of his (continued) NBA career earnings come from Nike, NBA clothing deal (Chinese made), and the tv rights income from Chinese viewership.

If he was truely against the CCP, he would no longer be taking their money, retire as a player and devote his time to politics and charitable causes.

So give up the platform that gets other to pay attention and talk about it?

What I am saying is that Kanter may be wearing Celtics clothing that was made by the same Uyghurs he wants freed.

It’s like when Trump ran on a platform of Make America Great Again…yet all the MAGA merchandise was made in China.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:57:25 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2021, 03:54:54 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I wonder how many end of bench players it would take to wipe out NBA basketball in China?

If just the 12th man writing something "anti-China" on his sneaker leads to all his team's games being banned in China, have to figure if one player on at least 15 teams does this, then there's a possibility no game would be viewable on any given night.

But at some point before that, say if 3, 5, 7, 10 players on different teams did it, would China just pull the plug altogether?

what's the minimum number of players speaking out against China that would cause them to blackball the entire NBA?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2021, 04:04:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I wonder how many end of bench players it would take to wipe out NBA basketball in China?

If just the 12th man writing something "anti-China" on his sneaker leads to all his team's games being banned in China, have to figure if one player on at least 15 teams does this, then there's a possibility no game would be viewable on any given night.

But at some point before that, say if 3, 5, 7, 10 players on different teams did it, would China just pull the plug altogether?

what's the minimum number of players speaking out against China that would cause them to blackball the entire NBA?
Not many.  The NBA is not important to China and specifically the Chinese government.   

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2021, 04:07:29 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I find it quite rich that Kanter was protesting China’s treatment of Tibet, with what looked like Chinese made shoes.

Kanter also forgets that a large portion of his (continued) NBA career earnings come from Nike, NBA clothing deal (Chinese made), and the tv rights income from Chinese viewership.

If he was truely against the CCP, he would no longer be taking their money, retire as a player and devote his time to politics and charitable causes.

What I am saying is that Kanter may be wearing Celtics clothing that was made by the same Uyghurs he wants freed.

It’s like when Trump ran on a platform of Make America Great Again…yet all the MAGA merchandise was made in China.

It is precisely because China is a global partner that these issues should be addressed. If Kanter stayed silent, he'd be criticized for only staying silent because of the partnership.

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2021, 04:23:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

It is precisely because China is a global partner that these issues should be addressed. If Kanter stayed silent, he'd be criticized for only staying silent because of the partnership.

He doesn’t have to stay silent, he could be working for half a dozen anti-modern slavery organizations, which gives them more exposure too.

He could become heavily involved in UNICEF, pushing the need for change or run for a seat in the United Nations.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2021, 06:40:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I support Kanter.

Will Chinese government block out Celticsstrong too??

I’d be surprised if it already isn’t blocked, but I’m definitely with Kanter on this one.

Someone has to stand up to China.

This is where American culture is supposed to influence China toward more tolerance. Unfortunately, too much of American culture has become $$$ culture and with those motivations it's easier for China to influence American culture toward intolerance.
American culture isn't going to change the Chinese government or the Chinese people in any meaningful way.  Chinese government has perfected controlling their people without doing so in a heavy handed way to most of their people.
Hate to say it but when it comes to economics, they probably do capitalism better than we do right now.  They're run like a company in that at the end of the day the CEO/Chairman Xi lays down the law and not following the company line/culture just isn't tolerated.

if you’re willing to overlook the wanton IP theft and slave labor, then sure, they do capitalism better than we do.

You forgot ethnic cleansing, forced sterilization (not that those two policies necessarily directly contribute to an economic advantage for them) and their big eff you to ANTHING green and the enormous advantage that ignoring and raping the environment conveys to them in business competition. I meant green as in the environment. I guess that extends to The Green too now!

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2021, 09:33:55 PM »

Kiorrik

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2021, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

I don't think that is how things works. Maybe in a society where everything is black and white with no gray areas, but in reality people can still advocate for a better society and speak out on perceived wrong without having to compromise their life savings. If that was the case, the whole society would become activists and the world wouldn't turn.

I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree.

Although you are correct that we live in a world of grey areas, Kanter is taking the moral high ground (which I respect) but he can’t have have things both ways, either he’s against the Chinese government and their policies on modern slave labour and their treatment of the Uyghurs’ or he isn’t. By indirectly taking Chinese money he is essentially a hypocrite.

In regards to Kanter’s life savings, he’s most likely already a multi-millionaire, so retiring as a player now won’t compromise his lifestyle too much IMO.

Given that basically everything we consume here is made over there, no one can speak out unless they live out of a box going by your rules.

You know what the definition of hypocrisy is? Leroid James. Speaking out about how terrible we are while not saying a peep about actual human rights abuses committed by the Chinese government is hypocrisy at its finest. disney who preaches all their woke garbage here yet oddly leaves it out of their movies in China.

Weird how this board reacts at times....

Kanter is leading the way. Maybe others follow and the NBA is then forced to choose between supporting its players standing up for freedom or keeping that commie cash flowing.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2021, 04:48:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's fear. China is the next great power. It is already one of two, but at the rate it is going it will be the sole great power eventually. There's a very real fear of China doing things like exerting influence in foreign politics, militarily intervening in sovereign states, spying, trying to influence other societies through soft power mechanisms, and generally trying to increase its international power.

All of which the US has done.

There's also a hint of hypocrisy in lots of the rhetoric surrounding China. Nobody cares about Modi trying to erase the culture of Kashmir Muslim people in India though...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2021, 07:27:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »

Kiorrik

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Savage attack on Lebron:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sad-disgusting-enes-kanter-says-174206872.html

What's your take on Enes's tweets?

I’m not at all a Lebron fan but if Enes is gonna call LBJ out, shouldn’t he do the same to all the marquee Nike endorsers as well, his teammate JT included? I have a feeling LBJ is gonna go all out today vs the Celtics.

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2021, 08:10:38 PM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
LeBron is a diva and Enes Kanter is arguably the worst player in the league.

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Savage attack on Lebron:

I’m not at all a Lebron fan but if Enes is gonna call LBJ out, shouldn’t he do the same to all the marquee Nike endorsers as well, his teammate JT included? I have a feeling LBJ is gonna go all out today vs the Celtics.

James hates the Celtics and will do that anyway.

The announcers on national TV as apologists for LeBroid asked the exact same question that you did. They cited Kryie, KD, AD, etc and asked as you just did, why they weren’t called out.

Simple answer, they, unlike LeBroid, did not act as Nike AND China’s puppet/slave by chastising and trying to shame Darryl Morey for his free Hong Kong tweet.

What is Bron Bron for? Freedom? …..Freedom where? Freedom for the oppressed in this country only? Bron Bron is for Bron Bron and his brand.

How about the Uighurs? How about Hong Kong? China slapped Nike and the NBA and recently the Celtics. Nike then slapped Bron Bron who slapped Morey. That’s how it works.

Be a man Bron Bron. Kanter may not be a 100th of the hoop player you are, but he is 10X the man.

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2021, 08:35:41 PM »

Kiorrik

Savage attack on Lebron:

James hates the Celtics and will do that anyway.

The announcers on national TV as apologists for LeBroid asked the exact same question that you did. They cited Kryie, KD, AD, etc and asked as you just did, why they weren’t called out.

Simple answer, they, unlike LeBroid, did not act as Nike AND China’s puppet/slave by chastising and trying to shame Darryl Morey for his free Hong Kong tweet.

What is Bron Bron for? Freedom? …..Freedom where? Freedom for the oppressed in this country only? Bron Bron is for Bron Bron and his brand.

How about the Uighurs? How about Hong Kong? China slapped Nike and the NBA and recently the Celtics. Nike then slapped Bron Bron who slapped Morey. That’s how it works.

Be a man Bron Bron. Kanter may not be a 100th of the hoop player you are, but he is 10X the man.

Also, classic what-about-ism.