Author Topic: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?  (Read 15698 times)

Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
GUANGZHOU, China — The National Basketball Association could once again face a backlash in China after Boston Celtics player Enes Kanter tweeted a video in support of independence for Tibet.

Not long after the tweet on Wednesday, highlights from the Celtics’ game against the Knicks were made unavailable on the Tencent Sports app. Upcoming Celtics games also appear to be unavailable for live stream.

In a video posted on Twitter, Kanter called Chinese President Xi Jinping a “brutal dictator” and said he supports Tibetan people’s “cause for freedom.” The NBA star, who has commented on political issues before, repeated the phrase “free Tibet” three times while wearing a t-shirt with the Dalai Lama on it.

“Under the Chinese government’s brutal rule, Tibetan peoples’ basic rights and freedoms are non-existent,” Kanter said. China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs was not immediately available for comment.

The Boston Celtics and NBA China were not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

On Chinese Twitter-like service Weibo, one Boston Celtics fan account with 615,000 followers said they would no longer post about the team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Kanter criticizes China; Celtics games blacked out?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:32:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I support Kanter.

Will Chinese government block out Celticsstrong too??

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I support Kanter.

I’d be surprised if it already isn’t blocked, but I’m definitely with Kanter on this one.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I support Kanter.

I’d be surprised if it already isn’t blocked, but I’m definitely with Kanter on this one.
Definitely hasn't been yet and likely won't be.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I support Kanter.

Someone has to stand up to China.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I support Kanter.

Agreed.  In a world where our President and Congress are too cowardly or complicit to do anything, I guess the job falls to an end-of-bench NBA player without a major shoe deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Are we gonna get more of Lebron telling people to shut up and dribble? We'll see if this affects Lebron "spiritually" aka Lebron's China money.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I support Kanter.

This is where American culture is supposed to influence China toward more tolerance. Unfortunately, too much of American culture has become $$$ culture and with those motivations it's easier for China to influence American culture toward intolerance.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Not a great response to being called a dictator if you goal is to not look like a dictator.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Enes Kanter gets all C's games pulled in China
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I guess they didn't take too kindly to his Free Tibet shoes and comments.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I support Kanter.

Agreed.  In a world where our President and Congress are too cowardly or complicit to do anything, I guess the job falls to an end-of-bench NBA player without a major shoe deal.

They have stood up to China.  Militarily and diplomatically the focus has been shifted to Asia to deal with the Chinese threat.  What do you expect them to do?  Short of going to war or implementing a full global trade embargo nothing is going to have much affect on Chinese government behavior. 

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 11:33:32 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
#FreeHongKong

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I support Kanter.

This is where American culture is supposed to influence China toward more tolerance. Unfortunately, too much of American culture has become $$$ culture and with those motivations it's easier for China to influence American culture toward intolerance.
American culture isn't going to change the Chinese government or the Chinese people in any meaningful way.  Chinese government has perfected controlling their people without doing so in a heavy handed way to most of their people. 

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I support Kanter.

American culture isn't going to change the Chinese government or the Chinese people in any meaningful way.  Chinese government has perfected controlling their people without doing so in a heavy handed way to most of their people.
Hate to say it but when it comes to economics, they probably do capitalism better than we do right now.  They're run like a company in that at the end of the day the CEO/Chairman Xi lays down the law and not following the company line/culture just isn't tolerated.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I support Kanter.

Hate to say it but when it comes to economics, they probably do capitalism better than we do right now.  They're run like a company in that at the end of the day the CEO/Chairman Xi lays down the law and not following the company line/culture just isn't tolerated.

And, of course, we can all evaluate the merits (or lack thereof) of that ourselves.  But culture, government, and economics aren't as closely linked as you might presume.

You're correct that than in a vacuum unfettered capitalism in the US absolutely ends with God King Bezos, emperor of Dune.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.