Author Topic: Sox 2021 Playoffs  (Read 40890 times)

Re: Sox 2021 Playoffs
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2021, 01:17:23 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I gotta say I barely watched this World Series. There were only two games I tuned into once they got interesting. Far too many double plays/strikeouts/shifts boring games (and I grew up on baseball and traditionally love it. As a short term fix would love to see baseball just ban the shift much like illegal defense in the nba. I would have to imagine this was among the lowest watched World Series outside of the bubble in the last 20 years despite two major market teams.

« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Baseball viewing has been going down for years. The most watched World Series was 1978 (Yankees v. Dodgers) and they have been on a downward trend every since.  The years with the Yankees, Red Sox, and/or Dodgers do better than the others (the Cubs also provided a spike in 2016 despite playing Cleveland), but in general the sport has seen better days from a viewership perspective.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2021, 10:18:10 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I gotta say I barely watched this World Series. There were only two games I tuned into once they got interesting. Far too many double plays/strikeouts/shifts boring games (and I grew up on baseball and traditionally love it. As a short term fix would love to see baseball just ban the shift much like illegal defense in the nba. I would have to imagine this was among the lowest watched World Series outside of the bubble in the last 20 years despite two major market teams.

I did not watch a single game.  I like Dusty but obviously dislike the Astros.  Glad that Atlanta won. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Baseball viewing has been going down for years. The most watched World Series was 1978 (Yankees v. Dodgers) and they have been on a downward trend every since.  The years with the Yankees, Red Sox, and/or Dodgers do better than the others (the Cubs also provided a spike in 2016 despite playing Cleveland), but in general the sport has seen better days from a viewership perspective.

Let's face it, baseball is boring. And on top of that there are a ridiculous 162 games with no off-days in between (I mean, look at football w/ a full week off, 2 with a bye). Maybe if all pitchers worked as fast as Mark Buehrle, they could get viewership back up, but until then they are just going to count on quantity over quality. And pink hats like me will always go to a game or two a year and start paying attention if things are looking interesting in September.

« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2021, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm a Red Sox fan, but I was also a Braves fan for the last week and a half, and I'm very happy that Houston lost (I'm also happy for my Braves-fan friend, and the Braves seems like a cool group). I watched just about every pitch of this Series, mainly because I wanted to see the Astros lose and also because I like watching major-league baseball, especially in the fall. The only time I try to not watch a World Series is when I despise both teams.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm a Red Sox fan, but I was also a Braves fan for the last week and a half, and I'm very happy that Houston lost (I'm also happy for my Braves-fan friend, and the Braves seems like a cool group). I watched just about every pitch of this Series, mainly because I wanted to see the Astros lose and also because I like watching major-league baseball, especially in the fall. The only time I try to not watch a World Series is when I despise both teams.

I'm a Sox fan 100%, but my second team is ATL because I lived in GA for almost ten years, some of this time during the 90's runs they had.  I'm thrilled for the team and city.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2021, 11:08:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2021, 03:27:27 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I'm a Sox fan 100%, but my second team is ATL because I lived in GA for almost ten years, some of this time during the 90's runs they had.  I'm thrilled for the team and city.
They used to be a Boston team, I believe before moving to Milwaukee then finally in Atlanta.

« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2021, 11:39:52 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm baffled by the complete turnaround, leading the Astros 2 games to one in that final playoff series. It was as though the team was replaced with different players.  Haven't seen any explanation in the media of the collapse.

I like the moves Bloom has made so far. Just getting rid of Richards and Perez was an improvement to the pitching.   Getting JBJ back to anchor CF was a smart move--selling high on Renfroe. JBJ will be much better this year--if there is one. The players and the owners are nuts if there isn't. Both are swimming in TV money.

« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

They used to be a Boston team, I believe before moving to Milwaukee then finally in Atlanta.

I remember those days with the Boston Braves. In the early 50s.

Boston just missed Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews. They were brought up from the minors the first year in Milwaukee.  But the Boston Braves had Warren Spahn and Johnny Sain.
Two of the great pitchers. Sain became a legendary pitching coach.

I just looked up Matthews. He did have a rookie year in Boston, in 1952. They moved in '53. Hit .241, 25 HRs in 145 games. The beginning of a HOF career. Aaron's first year was in Milwaukee in '54.