Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 564810 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #660 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I mean James clearly hit him in the face recklessly, but how exactly did he initiate an on-court altercation?  If it is the mere fact that he did a reckless action, then that is just dumb.  It isn't like he taunted him, celebrated, or did something else to initiate an altercation.  I'm fine with 1 game for the elbow to the face, but just making things up isn't a good look for the NBA either.
Except it was a punch, not an elbow.  He hit him with his hand.
Not relevant to the point though.

You don’t think a punch would initiate an on-court altercation?  The point is that LeBron’s blow wasn’t merely “reckless”, but intentional.  It wasn’t a basketball play, but an action borne out of frustration and being a sore loser.

« Reply #661 on: November 23, 2021, 09:19:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I mean James clearly hit him in the face recklessly, but how exactly did he initiate an on-court altercation?  If it is the mere fact that he did a reckless action, then that is just dumb.  It isn't like he taunted him, celebrated, or did something else to initiate an altercation.  I'm fine with 1 game for the elbow to the face, but just making things up isn't a good look for the NBA either.

You don’t think a punch would initiate an on-court altercation?  The point is that LeBron’s blow wasn’t merely “reckless”, but intentional.  It wasn’t a basketball play, but an action borne out of frustration and being a sore loser.
Exactly. Lebron had just lost to the franchise he hates the most who were short handed. Lebron immediately walked off the court in frustration, not talking to any of his opponents.

Then he goes into Detroit, a team the Lakers should kill, and the team is struggling. A kid tries to get position off a rebound from a FT, and the very frustrated Lebron quickly looks at Stewart, and then purposely swings his arm at Stewart's face, grazing him with his elbow and hitting him square in the face with a back hand closed fist.

That's not a basketball play. It's a altercation initiating move that upset Stewart. Also, some commentators at the game suggested Lebron said something to Stewart that inflamed the situation, which is contrary to some in the media, and this blog, painting it like Lebron was all apologetic and mea culpa about the incident.

I still say both deserved an extra game over what they got as a suspension for their actions. Things could have gone sideways quickly with benches clearing if any other punches were thrown.

« Reply #662 on: November 23, 2021, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Usually, if you get sucker punched in the face, that's going to elicit a reaction & lead to a confrontation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #663 on: November 23, 2021, 10:38:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Not how they phrased it.

Stewart's suspension was for "escalating an on-court altercation by repeatedly and aggressively pursuing (James) in an unsportsmanlike manner."

James serves suspension Tuesday vs. Knicks for "recklessly hitting Stewart in the face and initiating an on-court altercation."

The way that is phrased they are implying it was more than just recklessly hitting Stewart in the face.  Especially since Stewart didn't immediately go all crazy.  Now it may very well be that James said something to him that set him off.  That would actually make sense, though pretty much all of the reports are Lebron apologized and checked on him, though perhaps his apology wasn't given or taken in a manner of sincerity and that is what initiated the on-court altercation. 

Also, James pretty clearly elbowed him.  That is what caused the cut.  He then jerked his arm away and his whole arm including his hand continued to make contact with Stewart's face.  But it was an elbow he was using for positioning on the box out.  I'm actually surprised more guys don't get hit in the face with elbows on foul shot box outs because guys use them for positioning all of the time in those mass box out situations.

Here is the video and the whole altercation.  It goes into slow motion about 3.5 minutes of the actual elbow.  https://www.msn.com/es-xl/deportes/baloncesto/lebron-james-isiah-stewart-full-fight-blood-ejections/vi-AAQZYvr

Clearly was correctly called a flagrant 2 and he was rightfully objected.  If he said something, I think 1 game on top of that was probably appropriate, though if it really was just the elbow, then I don't think an additional game suspension was warranted.  Stewart should have been given 1 game more than James because he went all nuts, so if James got a game, Stewart getting 2 seemed fair.  If James didn't get a game, then Stewart should have only gotten 1. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #664 on: November 23, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Should the NBA look at suspending players only for home games (obvious exception for playoffs)?  I mean Lebron James now isn't going to play at NY so Knicks fans won't get to see him this year (unless they both make the finals, ha ha).  Perhaps they should just move all suspensions to the next home game, whenever that is on the schedule.  No choice, next home game, suspended (or next 2, or next 3, etc.).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:00:13 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #665 on: November 23, 2021, 12:41:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Should the NBA look at suspending players only for home games (obvious exception for playoffs)?  I mean Lebron James now isn't going to play at NY so Knicks fans won't get to see him this year (unless they both make the finals, ha ha).  Perhaps they should just move all suspensions to the next home game, whenever that is on the schedule.  No choice, next home game, suspended (or next 2, or next 3, etc.).

I like that idea.

« Reply #666 on: November 23, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I like that idea.
I mean it just doesn't seem right that Knicks fans that may have paid in part to see Lebron James, now won't get to.  And I get the Knicks are going to sell our regardless, but what if it was Cleveland or Orlando or some other smaller market team. And also, it isn't like stars gets suspended all that often, but even a role player can be a draw.  So if the league won't let players rest on back to backs on the road if the other is a home game, why should they treat suspensions differently.  All regular season suspensions are enforced on home games.  Seems like something easy to do that won't affect much and could actually be a positive for the fans.

« Reply #667 on: November 23, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I like that idea.
I mean it just doesn't seem right that Knicks fans that may have paid in part to see Lebron James, now won't get to.  And I get the Knicks are going to sell our regardless, but what if it was Cleveland or Orlando or some other smaller market team. And also, it isn't like stars gets suspended all that often, but even a role player can be a draw.  So if the league won't let players rest on back to backs on the road if the other is a home game, why should they treat suspensions differently.  All regular season suspensions are enforced on home games.  Seems like something easy to do that won't affect much and could actually be a positive for the fans.

I think this could work in a lot of situations, but there would have to be some leeway. Like if the Knicks were on a regular season road trip when jr smith cold clocked and injured crowded, it would not be right to watch smith play for 4 more games on a road trip helping the Knicks win while crowder was on crutches.

« Reply #668 on: November 23, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't like that.  takes away a chance for a more-likely win from the Knicks.  that's what real fans would prefer, I would hope. 

if anything, have those suspended superstar players cough up fines that would go to decreasing the cost of those tickets for fans but there's no realistic way to get the $ in the hands of the ticket purchasers.  (nor would the players union even remotely consider it but that's besides the point)

« Reply #669 on: November 23, 2021, 04:48:05 PM »

Kiorrik

Not like we know for sure.

There's definitely some words between the two, and James definitely took a few steps at Isaiah after it started getting heated.

My best guess is Isaiah said something that turned LeBron from "oh I just punched a guy" into "what did he just say to me" mode.

But that's just it; it's all guess games.

« Reply #670 on: November 23, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Lakers roster is such a mess. Just a bunch of odd pieces that don’t fit together. What a shame... :angel:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #671 on: November 23, 2021, 08:38:28 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Lakers roster is such a mess. Just a bunch of odd pieces that don’t fit together. What a shame... :angel:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #672 on: November 23, 2021, 11:06:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Davis blows.  In a game he had to step up and play huge he had 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists.  Took 17 shots making 7.  what an awful game from a guy that is supposed to be great.

« Reply #673 on: November 23, 2021, 11:22:49 PM »

Kiorrik

Davis blows.  In a game he had to step up and play huge he had 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists.  Took 17 shots making 7.  what an awful game from a guy that is supposed to be great.

Imagine 20-6-3 being terrible.

Oh also,

I'm happy Russ got his trip dub :]

What a stunningly beautiful mess they are hey?

« Reply #674 on: November 23, 2021, 11:26:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Imagine 20-6-3 being terrible.

Oh also,

I'm happy Russ got his trip dub :]

What a stunningly beautiful mess they are hey?

I’m not making excuses for davis because he has done this toms of other times, but he was questionable up to game time with the flu. He doesn’t fit well with Westbrook either. They gotta blow it up. Also a nice win for the East again. Believe it is 11 out of 15 or something ridiculous run for East. 8 east coast west games tomorrow bjt probably will be a split or so based on matchups.