Author Topic: Michael Porter Jr. Agrees to 5-Year Max  (Read 5481 times)

Re: Michael Porter Jr. Agrees to 5-Year Max
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 01:53:34 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I am trying to refresh my memory on Porter.  He was a star prospect who had back surgery, dropped to 14 in the draft, and missed his entire rookie year, correct?  But has been durable the last two seasons?

His 2020-21 season was great.  Incredible 3p% (44.5% of 6.5 3PA per game).  There is always injury risk with any big contract but if they were able to get some protections against recurring injuries specific to the previous injury, that seems like a pretty safe deal.  Any player can get injured at any time with no team protection.

Denver to me looks to have a very solid and complimentary big 3.  They have a scoring PG (who may be the biggest injury concern), a wing who is big enough to play PF, and an MVP level center who can dominate.  Why not go all in?  What is the alternative?  Trade for Simmons?  He has been injured as much as anyone and he can't even shoot.  Why not go with the player that can shoot 44% from 3 and has contract injury protections vs. the one that can't shoot and has no contract injury protections?

I like where Denver is at.  Just need to see how the injury impacts Murray.

I like Denver's roster as well. It's important to remember that they have historically not been a free agent destination and never should have had the opportunity to draft Porter in the 1st place.

Porter was fortunate to land in a great spot where he had little to no expectations to produce early and Denver was extremely fortunate that he was available to begin with.

You can only assume that the medicals were alarming because Michael Porter Jr. had no business falling past 7 in that draft. If Porter Jr. remains healthy it will go down as one of the greatest draft steals of all time and unlike someone like Giannis, Porter Jr. was considered a top 5 talent before the college season started. He's not coming out of no where he's just living up to his massive potential.

We'll see if he works out as a true member of a Denver Big 3 but he's got as good or better of a shot as anyone Denver could realistically hope to attain. Add Aaron Gordon into that mix and they really have put together a nice complimentary squad.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 03:34:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
While I do think that the Nuggets might have jumped the gun a bit, Porter is an incredibly good player right now. Look at his stats after Murray blew his knee in the tweet below:

https://twitter.com/bmore_bfree/status/1442601203616018435
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 09:30:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
While I do think that the Nuggets might have jumped the gun a bit, Porter is an incredibly good player right now. Look at his stats after Murray blew his knee in the tweet below:

Yeah he was great, which is why I think Denver should seriously consider a Murray for Simmons swap.  With Porter's ascension they don't need another great scorer, but absolutely need a great versatile defender like Simmons. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah he was great, which is why I think Denver should seriously consider a Murray for Simmons swap.  With Porter's ascension they don't need another great scorer, but absolutely need a great versatile defender like Simmons.

That would push Gordon to the bench as a $22 million bench player, right?  I'm not sure that that's sustainable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 09:38:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That would push Gordon to the bench as a $22 million bench player, right?  I'm not sure that that's sustainable.
Just go huge:
Simmons / Morris / Campazzo
Barton / Rivers
Porter / Dozier
Gordon / Green
Jokic / Green / Nnaji
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 10:14:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Simmons would be the PG.  You trade your PG for him, you have him play PG.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 06:58:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Hm I think that they actually need that secondary creator next to Jokic to give their attack more diversity + keep non-Jokic lineups afloat.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 08:44:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Hm I think that they actually need that secondary creator next to Jokic to give their attack more diversity + keep non-Jokic lineups afloat.
That should be Porter in that situation.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Can't say that I'm a big fan of this deal. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but it's a bad gut feeling.

Obviously we all knew the risks at the time. Now that he'll officially be starting that contract off of a third back surgery, what's the feeling about this deal?

I heard someone mention Chandler Parsons. Is it going to be that bad of a contract? Not as bad? Worse?

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:46 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Can't say that I'm a big fan of this deal. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but it's a bad gut feeling.

Obviously we all knew the risks at the time. Now that he'll officially be starting that contract off of a third back surgery, what's the feeling about this deal?

I heard someone mention Chandler Parsons. Is it going to be that bad of a contract? Not as bad? Worse?

That must have been some bad gut.  :o

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Well it is clearly 172 million over 5 years now.  Still a lot of money for a guy with his 3rd back surgery, but not the 207 million that has been floating around the media in the last couple of days. 

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
No way I would had done it if I was Denver because of his history of back troubles
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It was a strange decision tbh. They should have let the year play out, see if he could remain healthy, and then worst case scenario, match whatever offer sheet he received from another team (he wasn't going to play out his 5th year w/ no guarantee and become an UFA). That 5 year max would have still been there if all had worked out.

I get that it is good business to lock up your players early and make them happy. But Porter Jr. had only recently broken out, and obviously his injury history should have been taken into consideration.

Hopefully Porter Jr, Murray, and the rest of the Nuggets team can get and stay healthy in the future. They are a fun team and very easy to root for.

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The previous reports and discussion eluded to "protections" in the contract similar to what Embiid had.  These usually are specific to past injuries and in his case, the back is the specific area of past injuries.  Are we even sure that Denver isn't protected from exactly this occurrence?  Maybe they don't have to pay him the full contract amount if he is out due to this injury.